Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

You know you're starting to feel settled as an Aussie when..........

Wikiposts

You know you're starting to feel settled as an Aussie when..........

Old Jun 18th 2004, 11:54 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hevs
Yeah, but their not called "offies" though are they??
IN SA, if they are attached to a pub they are Drive thru, bott,lows if they are seperate, say in a shopping centre they are Liquor stores................... MM
Old Jun 18th 2004, 1:27 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Cutting up some Coon means you don't belong to the BNP.
Old Jun 18th 2004, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

keith (UK) is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, has anyone noticed the 'yeah' factor?

For example:
"Can you believe... yeah, and then I... yeah, but then she said.... yeah. I just couldn't believe it!"

And its not just 'yeah', its yeeaahhh.

I'm not sure whether this is just a regional Victoria thing, or if it Australia-wide!

PS Also notice how people say 10 or 50. 10 is pronounced 'tin', and 50 is 'feefty'.
Old Jun 18th 2004, 3:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've told The Bloke to shoot me if he catches me putting the extra "e" in certain words.........I think its a Queensland thing, they all say "showen" or "throwen" instead of shown or thrown.
Old Jun 19th 2004, 7:52 pm
dex
Forum Regular

dex is an unknown quantity at this point

And 9 is more German-sounding.
"noin" to rhyme with "coin"

There was this TV commerical recently where they had a special of "only noin - nointynoin"
Old Jun 19th 2004, 11:52 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
As a mere Brit (still) I can work that one out... "kiss and drop" must surely be the school run.
And there was I, sniggering at the thought that it was a variant on what happens to guys at medicals...

Am disappointed now...

Anya.
Old Jun 20th 2004, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pollyana
I've told The Bloke to shoot me if he catches me putting the extra "e" in certain words.........I think its a Queensland thing, they all say "showen" or "throwen" instead of shown or thrown.

Alrightie Polly, just make sure youse don't do it
Old Jun 20th 2004, 1:41 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Loopy
'yo' as in yoyo, gurt!
I think some Scottish people pronounce the first syllable in this way too.
Old Jun 20th 2004, 1:47 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by CPW
I think some Scottish people pronounce the first syllable in this way too.

We sure do.
Old Jun 20th 2004, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by keith (UK)
Also, has anyone noticed the 'yeah' factor?

For example:
"Can you believe... yeah, and then I... yeah, but then she said.... yeah. I just couldn't believe it!"

And its not just 'yeah', its yeeaahhh.

I'm not sure whether this is just a regional Victoria thing, or if it Australia-wide!

PS Also notice how people say 10 or 50. 10 is pronounced 'tin', and 50 is 'feefty'.
My 6 year old daughter has already started with "mum, yeah, how do I do this, yeah" We have no idea where it has come from, because we are always talking about Aus perhaps she's dreaming in Australian already. LOL

Lindsey
Old Jul 12th 2004, 2:39 am
Shaun&MIchelle

michellecarre is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by rudo1ph
Been here ten months and I can put up my hand to 5 of those!!!

Some more........

You call party bags lolly bags
You belive that lollies do not come on sticks
A lounge is something you sit on, not the name of a room
To the question "hi, how's it going" you answer "Good thanks"
Only just started immigration process but Mandurah is the area we are looking to move to as we are applying on SIR Visa and we need to live outside mertropilitan area. Heard from friends who live in Applecross that Mandurah is nice area but classed as sort of retirement area! We are in mind 30's with two children, would be nice to get the opinion of someone who actually lives there.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 6:13 am
Soon to be Visas holders

pete n lisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dex
And 9 is more German-sounding.
"noin" to rhyme with "coin"

There was this TV commerical recently where they had a special of "only noin - nointynoin"
This really tickled me

Lisa
Old Jul 12th 2004, 6:17 am
Shaun&MIchelle

michellecarre is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pete n lisa
This really tickled me

Lisa
But do you know anything about Mandurah?
Old Jul 12th 2004, 6:40 am
Soon to be Visas holders

pete n lisa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by michellecarre
But do you know anything about Mandurah?
Noin!
Old Jul 12th 2004, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Youse always gets me laughing.

'What are youse doing today?' they ask and all I can think of is Joey off of Friends!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.