Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

You know your in Oz when...

You know your in Oz when...

Old Sep 4th 2003, 10:56 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cadman
A definite worry for me!

So, I'm going to OZ for the lifestyle.............the lifestyle might be good for people who don't work but what about the people that do?
Get home from work, it goes dark! all year round!

it's like that S.A.D. syndrome but without the cold!

Do you get used to it or is it your own fault for not living in MB / Sydney?

Well, I suppose you get used to it given that you have to. However, the idea od lazy BBQs outside until 9pm as you might have in the UK is not possible. Latest sunset in Brisbane is 18:48 (can't wait!), light up outside and attract the mozzies and all other wildlife within 1Km. Sydney and Melbourne, already on lower latitudes, have daylight saving to move the hour from the morning to the evening, not so in QLD.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jayr
My six year old says 'a' instead of 'u' now as in:

My 4 yr old does too!!! For blood he says "blad" as well and of course Yooooogurt instead of the way we say it.
Old Sep 5th 2003, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

you know you are in aus when:

your kid goes to school in 'mufti' to raise money.

Indoor plants actually live outside

its commom to be sold wetting agents and water crystals at a garden centre when you buy potted plants.

every house has an ensuite

every house has a'family room' and 'rumpus room'

sales are on all the time.

rental properties are always painted pale blue.

there is a drain hole in the middle of your bathroom

every house has a laundry room (complete with drain hole)

the water goes down the plug hole the wrong way!

there is no double glazing on the houses.

you start talking about 'ducted vaccum' and 'ducted air'

its smokey because of 'back burning'
Old Sep 5th 2003, 8:45 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

ok Mandy, i've got to ask, whats a mufti?
Great thread, i don't see it as "slagging" just funny observations between two different cultures! Any more anyone?
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by h garrett
Great thread, i don't see it as "slagging" just funny observations between two different cultures! Any more anyone?
Mufti means in civilian clothes, not uniform.

Agree, great thread, it's fun to see all these differences.

One thing that does surprise me, though, is the number of people who don't like their kids picking up the Australian accent. I should think it was good, it means they're fitting in, not sticking out and won't be a target for being a pom, as others have written about.

sashimi
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:18 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default IN OZ

YOU know when your in oz , when your happy........ MM
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:21 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IN OZ

Originally posted by mr mover
YOU know when your in oz , when your happy........ MM

aaaahhhhhhh, thats lovely
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:26 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know your in Oz when...

Originally posted by jayr
Well, I don't know about you guys, but the threads running yesterday helped to lift the afternoon somewhat. With little on at the moment, may I propose a new thread for the light hearted. Anyone wishing to use the word 'whinger' should go and read some other threads and lighten up a bit, anyway, here's my starter(s) for ten:

You know you're in Oz when:

the ratio of carrier bags to groceries for your weekly shop is 1:2
the bus is twenty minutes late and no-one seems to care
you start calling dinner 'tea' (if you were a bit posh in the first place)
you know what a long short black means
the tv news uses the word 'bashed' in a story of violent assault
the current affairs program is a serious journalistic investigation into which toothpaste is the best whitener
WHEN your happy......... MM
Old Sep 5th 2003, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

and...

you've run out of milk/bread/coffee, & have to nip down the dairy.

(for those in IT). Data becomes 'darta' routers become 'rowters' and most definitely Not 'rooters'.

you think nothing of it when you accidentally put the $100 in your back pocket through the wash.

The humungously expensive widescreen TV you bought in the UK, couldn't bear to part company with & shipped over hardly ever gets used.

& those who haven't left....you start stalking your postman/woman to see if he/she has any yellow envelopes.

Russ
Old Sep 5th 2003, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

I think its great that my kids are getting the accent. Sounds much better than the Essex one they had!! I just wish I could get rid of my Essex accent. Jamie Oliver's programmes are being shown on tv at the mo, and I get people saying 'you really sound like that cooking guy on tv'!!

Mandy

Originally posted by sashimi
Mufti means in civilian clothes, not uniform.

Agree, great thread, it's fun to see all these differences.

One thing that does surprise me, though, is the number of people who don't like their kids picking up the Australian accent. I should think it was good, it means they're fitting in, not sticking out and won't be a target for being a pom, as others have written about.

sashimi
Old Sep 5th 2003, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent thread!
Old Sep 5th 2003, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

ma51et is an unknown quantity at this point

We loved this thread. My partner worked in Sydney for 6 months and it has inspired us to go back permanently.

He knew he was in Oz when

-You are playing football and say "Hey look at all those Parrots." Then everyone looks at you as if to say, "Yeah, so what, its just a parrot."
Old Sep 5th 2003, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by h garrett

We have Mufti day over here as well! We have about one a term- the kids bring in £1 for charity in return for wearing non-uniform.
Old Sep 7th 2003, 12:57 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

You know you are in Oz when -

"You can tell it's the most powerful ute they've ever built... just by looking at it"
Old Sep 7th 2003, 3:04 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Your car is covered in bat poo.
You need sunnies in winter
Current affairs is about fat, battler, lebo, scumbag, un-australian, rorting polys who lose 1000kilos in 2 hours.
You can surf before and after work
No one is in the stadiums watching the match of the week(rugby league)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.