Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

You know your in Oz when...

You know your in Oz when...

Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:48 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

The best ads on TV look like they were filmed on the store owner's camcorder, starring said store owner and his family.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:48 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: You know your in Oz when...

You turn on the box to watch the evening news and first story is about sports, the real news is slotted at the bottom.

You start calling " flip flops" " thongs"

You start using the phrase "see you later" to strangers

You use the left hand lane to overtake someone in the right hand lane

You gave up looking for alcohol in the supermarkets

You know "they"( the news) is talking about Britain when they say "Overseas" or "allied"... for the rest they say America, N.Zealand etc etc.. but when they say Allied help, or overseas invention - you know they are talking about Britain... it's a painful word to say for them
Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:51 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

You can go outside with your hair looking as though you'd slept on it for a week and fit in just perfectly
Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Shit, you mean there are other countries out there somewhere????
UK news only ever includes the Royals or Beckhams!

Loopy
Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:54 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
The best ads on TV look like they were filmed on the store owner's camcorder, starring said store owner and his family.
On that subject, does the rest of Aus get ads for "Cunninghams" or are they just an Adelaide thing ?

The guy in the ad is like an Aussie Del Boy and he throws his tacky plastic wares around amazing us with the prices. 3D birthday cards JUST TWO BUCKS!!!, gotta get me some of them!. Then he'll throw a bucket over his shoulder as a shopper looks on wondering what the hell's happening.

Ah, I love that guy. I can't help listening to him. Never been to his shop though.
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

You are a member of an exclusive club of 20 million people who know who John Howard is.
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by jayr
You can go outside with your hair looking as though you'd slept on it for a week and fit in just perfectly
You can chuck all your "posh" clothes as they will only gather dust in your wardrobe... for a night out , sling on some old jeans, scruffy t shirt.. do not wear any makeup... and do not brush your hair. And that's just hubby ..lol
Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Loopy
Shit, you mean there are other countries out there somewhere????
UK news only ever includes the Royals or Beckhams!

Loopy
Yes, there is the land called "Overseas".
Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:57 am
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by welshpom
On that subject, does the rest of Aus get ads for "Cunninghams" or are they just an Adelaide thing ?

Well not in QLD but we do have the 'Rugs a Million' man (what a stupid name for a store is that) who is constantly going bankrupt, overstocked, closing down a branch or about to be killed or something and has rugs for not 70%, not 80% but up to 87% off, yes 87% off. Once he starts paying people to take the thngs away I might have a look in.
Old Sep 4th 2003, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

You get puzzled looks when you say...

'This weekend I'm going to the beach, but before I do my wife and I want to perfect a faster *route* in the car'.

AndyH
Old Sep 4th 2003, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

Well not in QLD but we do have the 'Rugs a Million' man (what a stupid name for a store is that) who is constantly going bankrupt, overstocked, closing down a branch or about to be killed or something and has rugs for not 70%, not 80% but up to 87% off, yes 87% off. Once he starts paying people to take the thngs away I might have a look in.
I never forgotten Big Kev's 'I'm excited' ads.

Did he mean I'm excited to be *ripping* people off with shoddy products and a shonky company?

AndyH
Old Sep 4th 2003, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

You know what "Fairybread" Is

You stop calling Hungry Jacks "Burger King"
Old Sep 4th 2003, 4:06 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Well not in QLD but we do have the 'Rugs a Million' man
We've got one of them in Adelaide "Gouger Rugs".

I felt sorry for the guy first of all because the council were giving him grief over customer parking and stuff, but the Aussie battler that he is said "screw 'em". Everything's gotta go. Then a few weeks later the poor guy's got to shift even more stock because the developers want him OUT!. Damn those developers kicking this poor man out of his prime real-estate to build luxury appartments. I must buy some rugs to help out.

Okay so we can add this to the list of "you know when you're in Aus"...

- when you never pay more than 20% of something's "true" value.
Y Ddraig Goch

Default Re: You know your in Oz when...

You know you're in Aus when you start to like Briz tv.. lol
try that channel for some home grown advertising.

You know you're in Aus when Big kev is starting to look slim to the eye "I'm excited" (think he's gone bankrupt now though)

You're know you in Aus when come 9 pm .. you can't find a chip shop open and pubs are closed (weekdays).

Or you know you're in Aus when your street is in darkness at 8pm in the night (everyone in bed)

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 4th 2003 at 4:08 am.
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by Ceri
You can chuck all your "posh" clothes as they will only gather dust in your wardrobe... for a night out , sling on some old jeans, scruffy t shirt.. do not wear any makeup... and do not brush your hair. And that's just hubby ..lol

Last Christmas was our first here, only two week in the country so it was already strange enough. Went out for Christmas Dinner at local restaurant in our Sunday best (despite the heat) and had some strange looks from the 'locals'. We were equally mystified by shorts and thong wearing patrons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.