Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

You know it's time to leave the UK when...

You know it's time to leave the UK when...

Old Jun 9th 2004, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know it's time to leave the UK when...

Disgraceful.
I could say more but do not want to start a riot on here.Put it this way if I went to live in any other country for eg: were it be Muslim I would be prepared to respect their culture and follow their rules etc,after all I have chosen to live there.Then surely why cannot it be the same everywhere.This country is too worried about upsetting everyone.
Once in Oz if there is something that offends me tough I say as I have chosen to live there so I have to accept it.
I think now I will run and take cover
Old Jun 9th 2004, 10:50 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

I might object to that poster too, on various grounds including aesthetic ones. (The colours don't go together, someone's manipulated the photo to make the the women look ridiculously tall and thin, the garments look uncomfortable, etc.) But would anyone listen to my complaint? I think not. Somehow religious beliefs occupy a higher ground than other mindsets. Why is this?
Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

it also said on the news today that Muslims are beling let down in Stete Schools.

They are asking for more single sex schools and more muslim topics.

I wonder if it would be the same if it were reversed and there were lots of english kids in muslim schools.

Jo
Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:34 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by steve-n-jo
it also said on the news today that Muslims are beling let down in Stete Schools.

They are asking for more single sex schools and more muslim topics.

I wonder if it would be the same if it were reversed and there were lots of english kids in muslim schools.

Jo
Having spent five years living in the Middle East (including Saudi) the answer to that question is a resounding "NO!"
Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:49 am
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough

I think part of the problem is people saying 'this is our country'. In fact it is just an island (England). It belongs to us all. I feel Muslims, Hindu, Christians, English and even us Dutch should all have the same rights. The problems arise when one group gets favoured over an other.

This is about tolerance and I think we all need to be careful about saying wordss to the effect 'this is my country and I deserve more than you!'

One of the reasons I like the UK (most of the time) is that I can voice my liberal Dutch opinions with colleagues or friends and not get lynched for it. I can support non-England teams in the Euro 2004 and not get attacked (hopefully) and I think it is for these reasons that many Muslims choose to come and live in this tolerant society.

The more they feel trampled on in their own countries by US/British/Western interests, the more defensive they are going to become.

Just my thoughts but the way forward needs to be through mutual respect by all and most of us might be respectful to Muslims in our day-to-day affairs, but the US and Blair administrations have a lot to answer for.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:56 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by flying dutchman
I think part of the problem is people saying 'this is our country'. In fact it is just an island (England). It belongs to us all.
Quite. Everything always seems to be based around "we got here first". (Cue outraged cries from Aborigines (oops not allowed to call them that any more) and Maoris (sorry guys but you weren't even the first even if you did beat the white man to it).) Well by that rule most of us are incomers who probably ought to go back to Normandy or Norway!
Old Jun 9th 2004, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Quite. Everything always seems to be based around "we got here first". (Cue outraged cries from Aborigines (oops not allowed to call them that any more) and Maoris (sorry guys but you weren't even the first even if you did beat the white man to it).) Well by that rule most of us are incomers who probably ought to go back to Normandy or Norway!

Damn right Give England back to the Cornish, Welsh, and Scots. You stole it! We (Celts) were here first.

And don't even start me on Ireland, they kicked the Scots out in the first place. I want that back as well

Thanks,
JTL
Old Jun 9th 2004, 12:24 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

isn't this all a bit of an over-reaction to a few people complaining about a billboard near their place of worship??

I'm sure there's probably a few Christian groups around who might complain about it as well. Not mention just a few other people who just like complaining.....

Whatever happened to freedom of expression? Aren't Muslim people allowed to complain?

And I do like the argument that just because some Muslim countries wouldn't allow similar behaviour in reverse, means that Britain shouldn't also!! gee that's a mature solution.

Just as well I'm going back to NZ huh Debs - wouldn't want to feel as if I'm infringing on your rights as a true blue Brit. Good luck in Oz or wherever - the English come second there too...

sheesh
:scared:
Old Jun 9th 2004, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Dreamaway 10
Disgraceful.
I could say more but do not want to start a riot on here.Put it this way if I went to live in any other country for eg: were it be Muslim I would be prepared to respect their culture and follow their rules etc,after all I have chosen to live there.Then surely why cannot it be the same everywhere.This country is too worried about upsetting everyone.
Once in Oz if there is something that offends me tough I say as I have chosen to live there so I have to accept it.
I think now I will run and take cover
A country is simply a geographical area bound by notional borders.

It is not a discrete group of like-minded individuals who all hold the same beliefs and have the same opinions and priorities, and thank heavens for that.

It's the fact that people are different that makes our day to day life interesting and yes, at times, challenging.

Why not respect 'our' rules and culture - to be open and accepting to any individual of any creed or colour who wants to contribute to our society?
Old Jun 9th 2004, 1:04 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Dreamaway 10

yes be interesting to see how long that philosophy lasts once you're there.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 1:24 pm
mickj

When people start to complain about the immigrants, and then they decide to do the same, by moving somewhere else

Old Jun 9th 2004, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by mickj
When people start to complain about the immigrants, and then they decide to do the same, by moving somewhere else
LOL

Quite!
Old Jun 9th 2004, 1:42 pm
mickj

innit !

Originally posted by Olive101
LOL

Quite!

Old Jun 9th 2004, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

xxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enoughxxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jandjuk
isn't this all a bit of an over-reaction to a few people complaining about a billboard near their place of worship??

I'm sure there's probably a few Christian groups around who might complain about it as well. Not mention just a few other people who just like complaining.....

Whatever happened to freedom of expression? Aren't Muslim people allowed to complain?

And I do like the argument that just because some Muslim countries wouldn't allow similar behaviour in reverse, means that Britain shouldn't also!! gee that's a mature solution.

Just as well I'm going back to NZ huh Debs - wouldn't want to feel as if I'm infringing on your rights as a true blue Brit. Good luck in Oz or wherever - the English come second there too...

sheesh
:scared:
you have got me all wrong i have no proplems with people from other counties in the uk they do have rights and they are aloud freedom of speech that isnt not what i was saying.

what i am trying to say is that yes it is our country and we have rules just like any other but the rules seem to get lost when certain people are involved. its frustrating to see what some people get as to what others get.

like someone has said muslims want it so there are more single sexed schools but why ??? yes it is their way but its not Englands way. they should accept that this is how we do things

if we came to nz and started to preach about what we wanted then im sure they would have something to say.

i wouldnt go to oz or nz or anywhere and start asking them to change their ways to suit the brits as they have rules and ways how they do things and if im going into a different country then i would certainly accept that this is how it is.

Debs xxxx
Old Jun 9th 2004, 1:52 pm
mickj

Am not a ........., but........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.