Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

'You have to be in a job 2 years b4 you can get a mortgage!!?? that can't be right!?

Wikiposts

'You have to be in a job 2 years b4 you can get a mortgage!!?? that can't be right!?

Old Jun 13th 2005, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all
Default Re: 'You have to be in a job 2 years b4 you can get a mortgage!!?? that can't be right!?

I've noticed that a few on this thread have mentioned that they have got mortgages very quickly and within a short period of time in emplyment....
am i right in assuming that people are buying fairly quickly into arriving in Oz and is this common? or do most people rent for about 6-12 months?
Lynn
Old Jun 13th 2005, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice
Default Re: 'You have to be in a job 2 years b4 you can get a mortgage!!?? that can't be righ

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
I've noticed that a few on this thread have mentioned that they have got mortgages very quickly and within a short period of time in emplyment....
am i right in assuming that people are buying fairly quickly into arriving in Oz and is this common? or do most people rent for about 6-12 months?
Lynn
Not sure what's most common Lynn, but certainly we've got a 6 month lease and would like to buy at the end of it. If not def. 12 months. We wanted to give ourselves time to look in to areas etc and spend a period of time somewhere where we were considering buying.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 11:35 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'You have to be in a job 2 years b4 you can get a mortgage!!?? that can't be right!?

A family i know that have just emmigtated to Adalaide has informed me that she won't be offered a mortgage deal untill she has worked in the same employment for 2 years!! That seems a long time, is that right?

We are hoping that we can head for WA next year,in process now, what's the laws around mortgages there,is it the same?
Lynn

not true at all. although you will get a better deal with most lenders if you have at least 6-12 months in the same full time employment.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 1:31 am
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

A family i know that have just emmigtated to Adalaide has informed me that she won't be offered a mortgage deal untill she has worked in the same employment for 2 years!! That seems a long time, is that right?

We are hoping that we can head for WA next year,in process now, what's the laws around mortgages there,is it the same?
Lynn

We got a mortage after being here for 4 weeks. OK so I had managed to get a full time job (and we put down 50% of the property value remortgaged a little later down the line once Gareth (my hubby) wasworking too) which was a great help as Austasia Group manged to sort us a mortgage out with HSBC.

The thing that we wished we had known before we left the UK is that we could have got a mortgage while we were still working in the UK based on our UK earnings. Want to find out more then contact [email protected] to learn more (tell him i sent you).

Good luck with the move

Sharon
www.immigrate-to-a-new-life-in-perth.com
Old Jun 16th 2005, 1:40 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I think some dodgy mortgage companies use this as an excuse to flog you an expensive mortgage, see some discussion here http://s9.invisionfree.com/Piggy_Ban...p?showtopic=14