Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are you glad you moved to Australia?

Are you glad you moved to Australia?

Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:48 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you glad you moved to Australia?

Originally Posted by spartacus
Ignore my previous post, The correcr answer is:

No

No

Yes
lol - what's happened in the intervening period then?
Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Barbarella is a name known to allBarbarella is a name known to allBarbarella is a name known to allBarbarella is a name known to allBarbarella is a name known to allBarbarella is a name known to allBarbarella is a name known to allBarbarella is a name known to allBarbarella is a name known to allBarbarella is a name known to allBarbarella is a name known to all

This is my first post and possibly not the best place to put my thoughts, but, I'm going to do it anyway. (sorry!)

Yes, I'm glad I made the move, and so is my teenager and my partner.

No, I probably wouldn't have made such an extreme move. (ie, selling my home, shipping all our possessions and the cat) I probably would have put the stuff in storage and hedged my bets a little more, it would certainly have been cheaper.
This is fuelled by the fact that after 8 months my partner still has no job, is very depressed and I'm struggling to cope with no family or close friends to support me. I have a job which means we survive, but I feel utterly alone.
'Hi I'm Barb and my partner is suicidal' is a real conversation no no with 'new friends' I know that I wouldn't want to hear it from any of the people I've met since being here.

So, I am thinking seriously that I need to get back to the UK and maybe try again when things are better (both economically and mentally)

I like Australia,really I do, but if 'things' are a bit shaky, you really need solid support, and I've not been here long enough to have that. As a consequence, my grip on sanity is shaky to say the least. So I'm back off home to lick my wounds, I'm not saying I won't come back again, and I know that finding a job in the UK at the moment is tough, the only difference is that Australia has yet to see the worst of it. Nobody really knows how bad it's going to be, but, as we say where I'm from 'Brace yourself!' the forecasts from economists seem to be getting more pessimistic by the week.

If we'd arrived 12 months earlier, then it would have been a very different story, every agency who's sent a knock back has said that it would have been really easy to find a job 12 months ago, but now there are so many Aussies who are suitably qualified/experienced and are looking for work, they naturally employ them. I know, given the same circumstances, I would do the same (ie you have a Polish worker new to the UK and a British worker with British work experience.) I would employ the Brit, everything else being equal, and I dare say everyone else would too.

So, I expect, I'll be taking my very expensive leave of Australia in the foreseeable future. It's been an expensive lesson, £20,000 to get here with visa costs, reckie trip and shipping, and around £10,000 to ship us, the cat, and the 20' or 40' container back to the UK. Depending on whether we take the brand new car we bought on arrival back to the UK

It's not really a reflection on Australia, but a consequence of the 'unpreeecedented' times we are living in (Say with accent like the Holden advert!)
Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:34 pm
K14
Forum Regular

K14 will become famous soon enoughK14 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Barbarella
This is my first post and possibly not the best place to put my thoughts, but, I'm going to do it anyway. (sorry!)

No, I probably wouldn't have made such an extreme move. (ie, selling my home, shipping all our possessions and the cat) I probably would have put the stuff in storage and hedged my bets a little more, it would certainly have been cheaper.
This is fuelled by the fact that after 8 months my partner still has no job, is very depressed and I'm struggling to cope with no family or close friends to support me. I have a job which means we survive, but I feel utterly alone.
'Hi I'm Barb and my partner is suicidal' is a real conversation no no with 'new friends' I know that I wouldn't want to hear it from any of the people I've met since being here.

So, I am thinking seriously that I need to get back to the UK and maybe try again when things are better (both economically and mentally)

I like Australia,really I do, but if 'things' are a bit shaky, you really need solid support, and I've not been here long enough to have that. As a consequence, my grip on sanity is shaky to say the least. So I'm back off home to lick my wounds, I'm not saying I won't come back again, and I know that finding a job in the UK at the moment is tough, the only difference is that Australia has yet to see the worst of it. Nobody really knows how bad it's going to be, but, as we say where I'm from 'Brace yourself!' the forecasts from economists seem to be getting more pessimistic by the week.

If we'd arrived 12 months earlier, then it would have been a very different story, every agency who's sent a knock back has said that it would have been really easy to find a job 12 months ago, but now there are so many Aussies who are suitably qualified/experienced and are looking for work, they naturally employ them. I know, given the same circumstances, I would do the same (ie you have a Polish worker new to the UK and a British worker with British work experience.) I would employ the Brit, everything else being equal, and I dare say everyone else would too.

So, I expect, I'll be taking my very expensive leave of Australia in the foreseeable future. It's been an expensive lesson, £20,000 to get here with visa costs, reckie trip and shipping, and around £10,000 to ship us, the cat, and the 20' or 40' container back to the UK. Depending on whether we take the brand new car we bought on arrival back to the UK

It's not really a reflection on Australia, but a consequence of the 'unpreeecedented' times we are living in (Say with accent like the Holden advert!)
Where do you live in Oz?
Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Barbarella is a name known to allBarbarella is a name known to allBarbarella is a name known to allBarbarella is a name known to allBarbarella is a name known to allBarbarella is a name known to allBarbarella is a name known to allBarbarella is a name known to allBarbarella is a name known to allBarbarella is a name known to allBarbarella is a name known to all

I live in Melbourne.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

csutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nice

Sorry to read your post, we are still in UK so I am not able to offer advice. However it is dire in UK too at present I would try and ride it a bit longer in Oz. We both feel lucky that we have secure jobs as it is right now.
Would you not consider moving to a different state?
What is your OH occupation?
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

He's applied for jobs all over the country, even Perth. (I don't mean it's bad, but it's just not somewhere I can imagine living, sorry Perth guys)

My partner is an Development Engineer. 15 years experience, fabulous references, lots of qualifications.... We had his CV 'redone' by Hewitt Consultancy, and paid for a 'career course' as he'd always worked for the same company since Uni and just progressed through the ranks.

The truth is that his old co would probably find him a position, possibly not at the same level, but work all the same. I have already made some contacts at home and I'm sure I'd be able to find something or other. Even if I don't at least I'll have family to support me whilst I support my partner and work on getting him back to 'normal' again.

As for toughing it out for a bit longer, it's been a long, hard 8 months, I probably shouldn't have brought him out of England.... He's always had a tendency to melancholia, it was foolish of me to think that removing him from his comfort zone would be a great thing to do

Like I say, we can always do it again, and I've learnt some valuable lessions;
That I shouldn't have been so wreckless when we were moving
That I need to properly consider the consequences if things went tits up.
That I could do with taking a few pages out of the James Stockdale philosophy (always expect the worst possible case scenario)
That I should have had an escape route planned in advance, as it is I'm trailing the internet looking for removals, pet shippers, and cheap flights An open ended return would have provided a year of safety net at a very small additional cost over the price of a one way ticket.... because I was full of the optimism that usually accompanies and international move I never even contemplated this. (Stockdale would have bought a return!)

This is just me, act in haste repent at leisure, not everyone has this much trouble with health issues.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:33 pm
Banned

london52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to alllondon52 is a name known to all

5 years in Perth and I feel I have wasted 5 years on my life to be honest, going back in August.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

Take into account the Stockdale philosophy.....

If you haven't already, think about getting citizenship. You never know what the future may hold. (Australia is a big place, and having an Aussie passport might come in handy one day)
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

csutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nicecsutka71 is just really nice

He's applied for jobs all over the country, even Perth. (I don't mean it's bad, but it's just not somewhere I can imagine living, sorry Perth guys)

My partner is an Development Engineer. 15 years experience, fabulous references, lots of qualifications.... We had his CV 'redone' by Hewitt Consultancy, and paid for a 'career course' as he'd always worked for the same company since Uni and just progressed through the ranks.

The truth is that his old co would probably find him a position, possibly not at the same level, but work all the same. I have already made some contacts at home and I'm sure I'd be able to find something or other. Even if I don't at least I'll have family to support me whilst I support my partner and work on getting him back to 'normal' again.

As for toughing it out for a bit longer, it's been a long, hard 8 months, I probably shouldn't have brought him out of England.... He's always had a tendency to melancholia, it was foolish of me to think that removing him from his comfort zone would be a great thing to do

Like I say, we can always do it again, and I've learnt some valuable lessions;
That I shouldn't have been so wreckless when we were moving
That I need to properly consider the consequences if things went tits up.
That I could do with taking a few pages out of the James Stockdale philosophy (always expect the worst possible case scenario)
That I should have had an escape route planned in advance, as it is I'm trailing the internet looking for removals, pet shippers, and cheap flights An open ended return would have provided a year of safety net at a very small additional cost over the price of a one way ticket.... because I was full of the optimism that usually accompanies and international move I never even contemplated this. (Stockdale would have bought a return!)

This is just me, act in haste repent at leisure, not everyone has this much trouble with health issues.
You have obviously exausted all avenues already and your mind is made up. I wish all the best with your return, undoubtedly having family and friends nearby helps. The security of a job is very important but most of all personal happyness.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by london52
5 years in Perth and I feel I have wasted 5 years on my life to be honest, going back in August.
WOW
5 years, you have definitely gave it a go.
Sorry that you feel it was a waste.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your comments.
I wish you every success with your move and I'm sure that the future is very bright for you.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Darren-Debbie
it would be good if those that have said they tried it and didn't like it, could give a brief explanation as to why, as this would help would be migrants look in more detail at those things which have made people return.

you never know, it may even save some going through the same scenario.
We did not return because we did not like it in Australia.
We loved it there and would like to return, but life's securities seem to take over and there fore would like to secure jobs before going back as this was one o the main reasons for returning, especially security for the children.
But the children are all over eighteen now and have now got to the stage of both of them saying they would not return, so i think we are biding our time for them leaving home or sorting out what would be best to do under the circumstances before returning.
I tend to go up and down most days on the subject of returning, i think possibly because we would not be a whole family over in Aus next time and what with it being so far away from the UK for the boys.