Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are you glad you migrated?

Are you glad you migrated?

Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute
Question Are you glad you migrated?

This may cause a bit of a stir depending on peoples responses but I seem to be reading a hell of a lot of negative posts on Australia forums these days, a lot of it seems to be relating to Perth and it does concern me a little given that I will probably be heading out that way once the man from DIMA say yes!

So you lucky ones who are already in Oz, are you glad that you migrated there or would you not have made the move had you known what you know now?

I for one will be giving it a go no matter what but I always like reading peoples views on whether they believe they have made the right choice or not.

Stu
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you glad you migrated?

Originally Posted by wafc
This may cause a bit of a stir depending on peoples responses but I seem to be reading a hell of a lot of negative posts on Australia forums these days, a lot of it seems to be relating to Perth and it does concern me a little given that I will probably be heading out that way once the man from DIMA say yes!

So you lucky ones who are already in Oz, are you glad that you migrated there or would you not have made the move had you known what you know now?

I for one will be giving it a go no matter what but I always like reading peoples views on whether they believe they have made the right choice or not.

Stu
You should read this thread mate. I read it the other day and it's given me a bit of a boost about the whole thing. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244807

It's 77 pages long though. I ended up just reading the Banana's posts in the end else it would have taken a week !
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

kulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud of

Stu
If there is one thing I learned about this forum when I arrived in Oz it's that you have to read peoples posts with a pinch of salt, not that paople don't feel the things they say but because those people are not you.

Before I came, thanks to the forum I thought lettuce was really expensive and I wouldn't be able to find any good cheeses. Really silly things, I know but thay made an impression and I have found them to be totally untrue! The point is that we are all different and one persons views are not everyones. You hear a lot of negatives because the people who are unhappy often feel the need for the forum, when you are out and about and happy and living life you don't need it so you hear less from the people who are happy. That's why today is the first time I have been on for 9 months!

I love it here, there are good points and bad. Have a look through some recent posts and you may find some of your answers.

Good luck,

Lou
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:27 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Stu
Hi Stu

Well this is the million dollar question isnt it!!

We've only been in Oz for 2 weeks so I dont suppose I'm really qualified to reply yet but I'll give it a go anyway.

We were given this opportunity and um'd & ah'd about whether to go for it or not. At the end of the day had we not gone for it then I'm pretty sure we would have been living with 'what ifs' for the rest of our lives.

Anyway I am glad that we've done it - not to say that Australia is soooo much better than the UK (because in all honesty I don't think it is). It is a lovely country and some of the scenery is fantastic but it is a lot busier here than I'd expected and the houses are a lot tattier too. All of the negatives though are outweighed by the weather and the family friendly atmosphere everywhere. We have a park outside our house and 'families' (not just mums because dads are in work) are out there with their kids all the time. Everyone has been amazingly friendly - sometimes to the point where you cant get away from people!! (all good though).

At the moment I cant see us staying here forever (certainly not this area anyway) but we'll be here for 2 years at least and then see how it goes.

Nothing ventured nothing gained at the end of the day!

Good luck

Rach xxxx
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:28 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Stu
If I had my time back I'd have flown straight past the 'big island' and landed at that smaller one across the 'road' from france
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Stu
HI Stu, As long as you come out with your eyes wide open, you will be ok,
we are 2 hours south of Perth, my son lives in Perth, it is beautiful, but we like it here in Bunbury.
I could make home here or the Uk as long as my kids are with me.
But we do love it here, warts and all.
Its not England, so dont expect it to be, there will things you will miss,as for us we only miss family, we dont miss any foods or clothes shops.
We like the simple things in life.
Budget for everything even the unexpected, and you will be fine.
We are on a lower income at the moment, but we manage.
DONT go on the going back forum, just because it does not work for some, a lot are happy, and you must make up your own mind. Not that i think they are wrong going back, its their choice and at least they gave it a go and can say "we did it".
But a lot come back, when they see why they left in the first place.
There are a lot of post on here telling about the good and the bad, what is bad for one person may not be for another.
I have good days , i have bad days, i would wherever i lived, ITS LIFE.
So give it a go, and find out for yourself, good luck. Denise
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:31 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh dear...another "are you glad you did it?" post!

I don't mean to appear flippant but you will get the usual crowd (me included) who say "Yes, because it's been a great adventure.And No, because it just ain't worth the fight and the heartache."

Then you'll have the folk who have settled wonderfully into their new lives and think it's been the best thing they ever did. Good on 'em I say.

It's horses for courses mate. If you're really gonna do this you'll have to get stuck in, put your best foot forward and try it for yourself.

Just ask yourself one question though, before you make the biggest move of your life: "How much am I prepared to gamble?"

Good luck to you.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:34 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
HI Stu, As long as you come out with your eyes wide open, you will be ok,
we are 2 hours south of Perth, my son lives in Perth, it is beautiful, but we like it here in Bunbury.
I could make home here or the Uk as long as my kids are with me.
But we do love it here, warts and all.
Its not England, so dont expect it to be, there will things you will miss,as for us we only miss family, we dont miss any foods or clothes shops.
We like the simple things in life.
Budget for everything even the unexpected, and you will be fine.
We are on a lower income at the moment, but we manage.
DONT go on the going back forum, just because it does not work for some, a lot are happy, and you must make up your own mind. Not that i think they are wrong going back, its their choice and at least they gave it a go and can say "we did it".
But a lot come back, when they see why they left in the first place.
There are a lot of post on here telling about the good and the bad, what is bad for one person may not be for another.
I have good days , i have bad days, i would wherever i lived, ITS LIFE.
So give it a go, and find out for yourself, good luck. Denise
A very balanced and honest post Denise
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:34 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Are you glad you migrated?

Originally Posted by kiwichild
If I had my time back I'd have flown straight past the 'big island' and landed at that smaller one across the 'road' from france
You mean Ireland?
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
You mean Ireland?
LOL that'd do
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the posts, its good to hear people views.

I went to Perth last year but only for a hoiday and to visit relatives and I have also been to Melbourne although that was 14 - 15 years ago when I was 12 - 13!

From what I have seen of Australia it is certainly a beautiful place and somewhere that I think would be a great place to bring up a family.

I dont expect it to be paradise and the phrase "same sh*t, shinier bucket" seems to be appropriate, but either way I'm certainly going to give it a go!

Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the posts, its good to hear people views.

I went to Perth last year but only for a hoiday and to visit relatives and I have also been to Melbourne although that was 14 - 15 years ago when I was 12 - 13!

From what I have seen of Australia it is certainly a beautiful place and somewhere that I think would be a great place to bring up a family.

I dont expect it to be paradise and the phrase "same sh*t, shinier bucket" seems to be appropriate, but either way I'm certainly going to give it a go!

GOOD ON YEH MATE!
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:39 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont expect it to be paradise and the phrase "same sh*t, shinier bucket" seems to be appropriate,
Yep, that's about right.

Same goes for "The grass isn't greener on the other side".
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Stu

Hi

Yes we are glad we migrated and the older kids have said they would have liked to have come here when they were younger as they can see what a good time their sister has at school and all there is on offer for her to do.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 10:44 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>Are you glad you migrated?<<

This will surprise a lot of people here but - yes!

The fact that "one" posts cons as well as pros doesn't mean they are dissatisfied, it merely means they prefer to show the whole picture and not just the RT bits. <g>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.