Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

You expectations of Australia

You expectations of Australia

Old Mar 31st 2006, 11:47 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Question You expectations of Australia

Ive been trying to read as much negative stuff about Oz as I have positive. The positive stuff I have pretty much experienced myself on the couple of times I have been, although I have no doubt there will be new experiences awaiting.

Ive read the negative stuff on the site, to try and get a balanced picture.

I would be interested to read other peoples expectations of what they think will be when the start their new life.

Some of the negatives I have thought of and ideas I have to try and counteract them include;

1. Homesickness/culture shock

I have already started to read about culture shock, recognising the signs, how to deal with it. Although I know you dont really know until it hits you, it is nice to be prepared a little.

With regards to homesickness, I have started communicating already with my family by email/msn and instead of random phone calls, I have a set time, to get myself into a routine of phoning them as this is what will happen in Oz.

2. Missing the UK and appreciation of things after I have left it.

I have started to take in my surroundings, good and bad and make the most of them, so when I leave I wont say 'I never appreciated it'. I am reading our local paper more, to take in good and bad points and measuring it with those of Australia.

3. Not getting a job on arrival

As soon as we have our visa, we are making contact with people, hubbys employer is big in Oz, and we have already been told to make contact on arrival.

I reckon as soon as we get there, we shall try and do one or two days a week voluntary in our sector. Do this for a couple of reasons because firstly, it gets you into a routine and making friends and secondly it gives you a contact and a chance to prove yourself. You never know where it might lead.

4. Isolation/insecurity of unfamiliar surroundings

We intend to take up any offer of a drink etc. All my friends live out of London so I pretty much spend most of my time communicating by phone anyway. But we will make an effort to meet people and take up friendships.

5. Adaptation of new culture and getting use to a different way of doing things

We know everything will be different, some stuff for the better and some for not so good.

Things might/will annoy us because it wont be done like it is 'back home'. I suppose I shall just treat it the same as what annoys me in the UK that I have had to accept and cannot change.

One woman said to me when I was in Oz, she had this English family stay in her apartments, and all they did was moan. And they say it is one thing about the poms, Aussies do not like. So with that in mind, I reckon its a case of accepting what you cannot change.

That is all I can think of for me.

What do you guys expect out of your migration to Australia - either good or bad?
Old Mar 31st 2006, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You expectations of Australia

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Ive been trying to read as much negative stuff about Oz as I have positive. The positive stuff I have pretty much experienced myself on the couple of times I have been, although I have no doubt there will be new experiences awaiting.

Ive read the negative stuff on the site, to try and get a balanced picture.

I would be interested to read other peoples expectations of what they think will be when the start their new life.

Some of the negatives I have thought of and ideas I have to try and counteract them include;

1. Homesickness/culture shock

I have already started to read about culture shock, recognising the signs, how to deal with it. Although I know you dont really know until it hits you, it is nice to be prepared a little.

With regards to homesickness, I have started communicating already with my family by email/msn and instead of random phone calls, I have a set time, to get myself into a routine of phoning them as this is what will happen in Oz.

2. Missing the UK and appreciation of things after I have left it.

I have started to take in my surroundings, good and bad and make the most of them, so when I leave I wont say 'I never appreciated it'. I am reading our local paper more, to take in good and bad points and measuring it with those of Australia.

3. Not getting a job on arrival

As soon as we have our visa, we are making contact with people, hubbys employer is big in Oz, and we have already been told to make contact on arrival.

I reckon as soon as we get there, we shall try and do one or two days a week voluntary in our sector. Do this for a couple of reasons because firstly, it gets you into a routine and making friends and secondly it gives you a contact and a chance to prove yourself. You never know where it might lead.

4. Isolation/insecurity of unfamiliar surroundings

We intend to take up any offer of a drink etc. All my friends live out of London so I pretty much spend most of my time communicating by phone anyway. But we will make an effort to meet people and take up friendships.

5. Adaptation of new culture and getting use to a different way of doing things

We know everything will be different, some stuff for the better and some for not so good.

Things might/will annoy us because it wont be done like it is 'back home'. I suppose I shall just treat it the same as what annoys me in the UK that I have had to accept and cannot change.

One woman said to me when I was in Oz, she had this English family stay in her apartments, and all they did was moan. And they say it is one thing about the poms, Aussies do not like. So with that in mind, I reckon its a case of accepting what you cannot change.

That is all I can think of for me.

What do you guys expect out of your migration to Australia - either good or bad?

With you on them Sam, possitive attitude will bring great results, good luck.

MF
Old Mar 31st 2006, 12:02 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I expected that 80% of what I've always done, I will still have to do - go to work, pay stupid taxes, do chores around the house, etc. But I expected in the other 20% I would have more opportunity to get out and about instead of at times in the UK feeling that I'm stuck in the house.

Both of these have turned out to be just like that.

I expected that we might have to take a step backwards with work to get a foot on the ladder. Well I've taken a slight step back (although I get paid roughly the same as I did) but Mrs M has had her skills recognised after feeling for so long that they weren't in the UK. A decent pay packet goes with that so between us we're earning probably $30k more than our 'worst case scenario' prediction.

I expected that I would miss family and friends but honestly - I hardly do. I'm really surprised by this. I do try and keep busy anyway but even taking this into account I really expected a bit more homesickness than I have (almost none). The one time I did get a major pang was when the boys were planning their Christmas p**s-up and I knew I couldn't attend. Mrs M has had some homesickness - a couple of fairly bad episodes actually - but they have come mostly after a bad day at work; a run-in with her boss or whatever.

On the whole we're doing OK. In fact I would go as far as to say I love it here. I feel totally at ease wherever I am and whatever I'm doing. I feel as if I slot right in when I'm at work or making conversation waiting for the train or in the queue at the supermarket. I enjoy my work (though I could do with some more taxing stuff sometimes) and have some great banter with the guys and gals

We've been out and about all over SE Queensland and NSW, though there's still plenty to explore. Even if we don't make solid plans for a weekend, we might just stick a pin in the map and head off in that direction. Last week we decided on Thursday to head off into the outback at the weekend. Apart from booking a motel for Saturday night, we just winged the rest of the weekend and loved it.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 12:05 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manxfamily
With you on them Sam, possitive attitude will bring great results, good luck.

MF

I suppose with all the waiting Abdel and I have, I have nothing better to do than to research. Im getting quite good at research

Its been a struggle, so we have to make it work and thinking each thing out seemed the only way forward.

I anticipate surprises though.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I expect:

It will be different to here - which is good, because if it was the same then I wouldn't bother going. I like different, it broadens your horizons and makes you a better / stronger person.

It will be hard work for at least a year - I like it that way, I've never been one for the easy life

To miss my son - He would be 100 miles away if I stayed here. I know it's further but we have money put aside for a yearly visit. This is probably the only downside I can see having much bearing on me. But in a few years time he will either be in the USA, Japan or Australia so I'm not going to give up our dream on the basis that he's staying here at the minute.

To be homesick?? - not sure about this one as it seems to me that people who are homesick miss family/friends most. I have no real friends and apart from my son and brother I have no close family anyway.

It will be hard to get work - I will work anywhere I have to and although the hubby is an electrician there is plenty of other stuff he can / has / will do if needed.

The good things I will get out of it will be that I will be able to get to know my Aunt who I have never met.

My kids will not be stuck in front of the Playstation all day like they are here.

The sun helps my lads excema, so hopefully this will clear up for him ( I can live in hope !! ). I know it's not always sunny there, but the cold and damp weather really does make it worse.

We will be giving our kids an choice of where they want to live when they are older.

The only thing I will miss about the UK is the wonderful countryside, but since we don't get there much anyway it's not a big sacrifice.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 12:16 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
The only thing I will miss about the UK is the wonderful countryside, but since we don't get there much anyway it's not a big sacrifice.
That one probably falls into the 'things you take for granted' cetagory. I drove through the North Yorks Moors every day for 6 years+ and over the last year or so, deliberately tried to take the time to take in the views and appreciate it.

Now I'm doing the same here
Old Mar 31st 2006, 12:19 pm
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

One of the big things is buying things off the web - having about 6 sites competing for your money and when you order 9 times out of ten you've got the item within a couple of days. Don't know what Aus will be like but I expect not as good. Also consumer goods are so cheap in relation to earnings - I know my friends in South Africa will save for months to buy something like a PSP - here people by one on a whim. I expect Aus will be similar to SA in that respect.

Other than that not much - and these are just material things I think the positives such as a nicer home than my cramped 2 bed London flat, and my daughter being able to play outside all year round far outweigh them. Oh one final thing cheap travel - holidays to Europe and the like are so accesible - I imagine we'll be holidaying locally in Aus

Martyn
Old Mar 31st 2006, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
That one probably falls into the 'things you take for granted' cetagory. I drove through the North Yorks Moors every day for 6 years+ and over the last year or so, deliberately tried to take the time to take in the views and appreciate it.

Now I'm doing the same here
Trust me in our car you daren't drive further than half a mile down the road for fear that you may have to walk home

We did live near to it two years ago, but even then we never really "went there" even though it would have taken 5 mins on foot. Living in Bradford there is some amazing views from the top of Thornton and Queensbury, but like I say we rarely drive over to take a look. So yes probably do take it for granted.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
To be homesick?? - not sure about this one as it seems to me that people who are homesick miss family/friends most. I have no real friends and apart from my son and brother I have no close family anyway.
I found this a weird one - I went through periods of homesickness but never able to really pin-point what I was homesick for (not family or friends). Maybe it was just a craving now and then for a bit of 'familiarity' amongst the constant changes and newness of everything else around me (which perhaps can sometimes get hard work, tiresome and stressful). Prior to going to Oz, I moved around a lot and am crap at staying in touch with people so I tended to pick up and lose touch really easily with friends every time I moved or changed job - i.e. no long-term friendships, and no family in UK except parents 250 miles away. But I never suffered homesickness like my OH, who really missed his family, so yes, friends/family seems to be the main trigger for homesickness.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Sical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the roughSical is a jewel in the rough

Expectations Good:

A change on country and culture and all that brings with it,

The challenges to settle in and learn about the new country,

More quality time with the kids, to explore the great outdoors.

Looking forward to the more balanced education in aus, I would much rather my kids were well rounded than intellectuals,

Looking forward to having our own space again, and being our own family unit ( been living with parents since Dec 04, as house sold then - not to be tried by the faint of heart - well if u have my parents!)

Guess its about having only one life ( your a long time dead) and wanting to fill it with as much "life" as possible, and moving to a new country opens lots of different doors and opportunities , we have done the UK, lived some of our adult life here, Now we want to try somewhere else, and I like Australia,

Scary Expectations:
Missing family , and more so , my children missing the family and how this will effect them

My son coping with the heat - He has gone through this winter, the only one in his school ( and no doubt most of England) wearing shorts , :scared:

Will we makes any new friends?, Tho my man is my soul mate, so am lucky there as that important position is filled.

Will for one miss the English countryside, we (weather permitting) go out and about in it most Sundays.

Coming across a huntsman, and not looking forward to the flies.

Will deffo miss Xmas as it is in the UK, Tho as my man pointed out Xmas is just a few weeks of the year.

General Expectations:

When weather is too hot 35++ , I imagine we will be stuck indoors jus like those days in England when is wet, and cold,
I heard it takes a couple of years to acclimatise, so hears hoping, and at least WA is not so humid as East Coast.

To have no spare dosh, but dont see this as a problem, Through out our life the amount of times we have gone out probably averages about 5 per year, so am used to not having money for that, Would much rather go for a bike ride and picnic ( or similar)

probably loads more- but school run time,

Heres hoping we find our dreams - Warts and all -
Old Mar 31st 2006, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Sical
Expectations Good:

A change on country and culture and all that brings with it,

The challenges to settle in and learn about the new country,

More quality time with the kids, to explore the great outdoors.

Looking forward to the more balanced education in aus, I would much rather my kids were well rounded than intellectuals,

Looking forward to having our own space again, and being our own family unit ( been living with parents since Dec 04, as house sold then - not to be tried by the faint of heart - well if u have my parents!)

Guess its about having only one life ( your a long time dead) and wanting to fill it with as much "life" as possible, and moving to a new country opens lots of different doors and opportunities , we have done the UK, lived some of our adult life here, Now we want to try somewhere else, and I like Australia,

Scary Expectations:
Missing family , and more so , my children missing the family and how this will effect them

My son coping with the heat - He has gone through this winter, the only one in his school ( and no doubt most of England) wearing shorts , :scared:

Will we makes any new friends?, Tho my man is my soul mate, so am lucky there as that important position is filled.

Will for one miss the English countryside, we (weather permitting) go out and about in it most Sundays.

Coming across a huntsman, and not looking forward to the flies.

Will deffo miss Xmas as it is in the UK, Tho as my man pointed out Xmas is just a few weeks of the year.

General Expectations:

When weather is too hot 35++ , I imagine we will be stuck indoors jus like those days in England when is wet, and cold,
I heard it takes a couple of years to acclimatise, so hears hoping, and at least WA is not so humid as East Coast.

To have no spare dosh, but dont see this as a problem, Through out our life the amount of times we have gone out probably averages about 5 per year, so am used to not having money for that, Would much rather go for a bike ride and picnic ( or similar)

probably loads more- but school run time,

Heres hoping we find our dreams - Warts and all -

Great post.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 7:00 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Great post.
I expect to see Big **** off spiders in the my shoes everyday that I wake up half asleep and slip them on.

I expect the sun to shine most days..

I expect the mother in law to be long long way away

I expect to spend more time as a family unit than spending time with other family units alongside my own. You know dutiful time with the family outside my immediate family.

I expect to be more able to plan nice weekends for me and the kids.

I hope but not expect to spend more time at the beach because I live about 3 hours away from any beach in the UK....

I expect to spend less money going on holiday, cos I will just go up to deception bay or something and spend time with cousins etc...

I expect to be at the botom of the heirachial ladder....STILL

Overall I expect to work harder and play harder, just what I am looking for.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Brisben
I expect to see Big **** off spiders in the my shoes everyday that I wake up half asleep and slip them on.

I expect the sun to shine most days..

I expect the mother in law to be long long way away

I expect to spend more time as a family unit than spending time with other family units alongside my own. You know dutiful time with the family outside my immediate family.

I expect to be more able to plan nice weekends for me and the kids.

I hope but not expect to spend more time at the beach because I live about 3 hours away from any beach in the UK....

I expect to spend less money going on holiday, cos I will just go up to deception bay or something and spend time with cousins etc...

I expect to be at the botom of the heirachial ladder....STILL

Overall I expect to work harder and play harder, just what I am looking for.

When does your visa application go in Ben?
Old Mar 31st 2006, 7:02 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

When does your visa application go in Ben?

Next week Sam....yipeeeeee

You ?
Old Mar 31st 2006, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Brisben
Next week Sam....yipeeeeee

You ?

Ours was acknowledged 21 Feb.

Meds booked for 26 April :scared:

Waiting for PCC's to come back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.