Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are you English or British ?

Are you English or British ?

Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:18 am
Banned

Fig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant futureFig Newton has a brilliant future
Default Re: Are you English or British ?

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
English first, British second.

And how I wish my passport didn't have 'European Union' on it....

D D
What exactly does it say and where. I didn't know they were doing that for countries in Europe.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Good for you, the weather, generally is far better here than the Uk, i.e the sun seems to shine more but we DO get overcast, rainy days too. Weather should not be a reason for migrating, IMO.

That aside, good luck to you and yours, Australia will be what you make of it.. x
Well thank you, and I did actually state the weather being ONE of my reasons not THE reason, but Im sure the weather will have a knock on effect, ie lifestyle, outdoor living, health (apart from the skin cancer!) etc etc.

Also the rain in Qld I would imaging will be proper rainstorms, not the constant drizzly shit in the UK.

See you in Queensland 06.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by TheCrone
I'm reminded that Harold Wilson (Labour Prime Minister, 1964 - 1970) once described himself as "a Yorkshireman first, an Englishman second". And when asked by Australians "Where are you from?", many of us Tykes will answer "Yorkshire", rather than "England" or "Britain". Yet other in-comers will rarely respond with the name of their county - I wonder why that is?
I answer I am from Yorkshire and when someone said your bubba is an Aussie I pointed out he was a Yorkshire man as he was born in Bradford.

Yes we will get our citizenship but I will always love Yorkshire puds and my blood will be that of a very working class yorkshire family by heritage with some inbred spainish and american thrown in.
But hey I was adopted into a more upper class Enlgish family and have since moved here.

So what am I? who knows I'll just say I was born in Hertforshire so that makes me "posh" :-) and brought up in Yorkshire so I like good food, I spent a few years in Eastern Europe which makes me appreciate what I have and I am now sooooo happy in my new home Brisbane which has the lifestyle and weather I love.

I wonder what my son will consider himelf to be and his children and their children.......
Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:29 am
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice

I'm definately Welsh, and very proud! ....but then most people around the world don't know where Wales is, so I usually end up saying I'm from the UK!

To quote an American who once said " Geeee, I aint ever heard of a place called Wales!!!"

....I will be just as proud to become an Australian Citizen!! ...not sure yet what I'll call myself though?? ...might have to be Welsh/Aussie!!

Last edited by GrantP; Aug 4th 2005 at 10:36 am.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Don`t go there Jeremy!!! My English hubby often tells me Scotland is the biggest county in England and that I`m not too bad considering Im from a subjugated race (for which he gets a good battering!!)
Seriously though, why shouldn`t the English be proud to say they are English -just like most Scots or Welsh will say they are Scots or Welsh first and proud of it!I know for a fact that if England is for example playing in the world cup us "subjugated" countries will cheer on the other team and still witter on about Bannockburn (some jokingly , some not). After Scotland beat the Welsh at the rugby (a lot of years ago) I was ribbing a Welsh supporter who turned round and said he didn`t mind who beat them so long as it wasn`t the English!!
I guess what I`m saying is that if you have a sense of having been invaded then it pulls you all together and makes you want to confirm your national identity and shout about it. I think Englands identity has been watered down - you should be proud to be English and you should be allowed to have a ST Georges flag stuck outside your house if you want to!!

Ironically it was the Scottish king who became King of England, not the other way around.

As for flying flags - I agree (and I don't think it's forbidden, just not done so much) - but would prefer that more emphasis was put on promoting a common British identity. Many people would prefer to fly the Union Flag rather than the St Georges flag or its Scottish/Welsh/Northern Irish equivalents.

Jeremy
Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCrone
Interesting! So, for a person with both citizenships, do they get to choose which country's benefits - health, welfare, pensions etc. - they will accept?
Be interesting to know which pays better, the British Lion or the Celtic Tiger!
Referring to someone with dual British and Irish citizenship.
No choice involved - benefits, taxes, services etc are based on the country in which you live.

Jeremy
Old Aug 4th 2005, 10:59 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Ironically it was the Scottish king who became King of England, not the other way around.

As for flying flags - I agree (and I don't think it's forbidden, just not done so much) - but would prefer that more emphasis was put on promoting a common British identity. Many people would prefer to fly the Union Flag rather than the St Georges flag or its Scottish/Welsh/Northern Irish equivalents.

Jeremy

James the sixth of Scotland became James the first of England. I knew that without even looking it up

And he wrote the King James Bible in his spare time

ADL
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Well thank you, and I did actually state the weather being ONE of my reasons not THE reason, but Im sure the weather will have a knock on effect, ie lifestyle, outdoor living, health (apart from the skin cancer!) etc etc.

Also the rain in Qld I would imaging will be proper rainstorms, not the constant drizzly shit in the UK.

And *I* said that weather should not be *a* reason for migrating...not the *ONLY* reason....

Why am I detecting a sense of pissed offness? Look, we love it here and admire anyone else who may have the balls to make the move - it's not easy.

FWIW, we've just had 4 days of 'constant drizzly shit'.

Last edited by steandleigh; Aug 4th 2005 at 11:16 am.
Old Aug 4th 2005, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
And *I* said that weather should not be *a* reason for migrating...not the *ONLY* reason....

Why am I detecting a sense of pissed offness? Look, we love it here and admire anyone else who may have the balls to make the move - it's not easy.

FWIW, we've just had 4 days of 'constant drizzly shit'.

No pissed offness here mate, apart from the problem selling my house, but that’s for another thread.

Enjoy your sunshine, because you'll have to share some with me next year!!

All the best
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:05 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Glaswegian first, Scottish second. Don’t really think of myself as British. Although I know I am.
Can’t give any reason for it.
As for flying a flag?
I would doubt that the majority of Scots would fly the Union Jack before the Saltire?
Attached Images  
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:05 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vickymills
So what am I? who knows I'll just say I was born in Hertforshire so that makes me "posh" :-) .......
I was born in Hertfordshire too ... posh isn't the first word that springs to mind when describing the county. :scared:
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:07 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I am English and come from the UK
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:08 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
I always thought the English were Germans

A
Yeah?? And i always though the Welsh were sheep shaggers
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:10 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

I was born in Wiltshire , doe,s that make me a "MOONRAKER" ......... mm
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:12 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by hevs
Yeah?? And i always though the Welsh were sheep shaggers
Well you'd be wrong and I'd be right

Let's not start on English sexual preferences...

A

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.