Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

yorkshire puddings

yorkshire puddings

Old Apr 29th 2007, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

tallboy21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default yorkshire puddings

i am the only one to have problems getting them to rise in brisbane or is it something to do with the flour here ?

if it is can someone give me a recipe that makes them do there thing
Old Apr 29th 2007, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: yorkshire puddings

Originally Posted by tallboy21
i am the only one to have problems getting them to rise in brisbane or is it something to do with the flour here ?

I hope someone answers this for you - love our yorkshire puds on a sunday roast!!
Old Apr 29th 2007, 9:09 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

The flour does seem to be different here for some reason. Try using three parts plain flour and one part self raising flour and two eggs. Also use vegetable oil in your pans and get it really hot, works for me. They do taste different because the ingredients are grown here and not in the UK, but still nice with a roast.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Just doing them as I type...

No problems here - get the fat really hot and ....DON'T OPEN THE OVEN!!!
Old Apr 29th 2007, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

nessyp is on a distinguished road

you could always get some aunt bessies lol
if you sort out the recipe can we come over for sunday dinner i love yorkies mmm
Old Apr 29th 2007, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

tallboy21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lindsay Clan
The flour does seem to be different here for some reason. Try using three parts plain flour and one part self raising flour and two eggs. Also use vegetable oil in your pans and get it really hot, works for me. They do taste different because the ingredients are grown here and not in the UK, but still nice with a roast.
thanks for that lorriane
wife said she has tried that but it still didnt work but we reckon the oven weve got in this house is crap hopefully the oven in the next house will be better your right though they do taste funny i have even had to go & buy those packet type ones (aunt bessies) but they taste like a freezer
Old Apr 29th 2007, 9:42 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

thanks for that lorriane
wife said she has tried that but it still didnt work but we reckon the oven weve got in this house is crap hopefully the oven in the next house will be better your right though they do taste funny i have even had to go & buy those packet type ones (aunt bessies) but they taste like a freezer
It could very well be your oven and its not getting hot enough!!! Keep trying and I'm sure you'll get there!
Old Apr 29th 2007, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

but they taste like a freezer
Old Apr 29th 2007, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

4oz Flour (well seived)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 medium eggs
1/2 pint milk and water mixed

Prepare the batter by placing the flour and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and braek the eggs into this. Using a wooden spoon or an electric whisk, beat the eggs and gradually add the milk and water, uncorporating the flour a bit at a time.

Beat until batter is smootha nd leave to stand in a cool place for about one hour. Remove the meat from the oven and keep warm. Raise the oven temperature to 425F or gas mark 7.

Pour oil into tin and place in the oven until very hot. Remove from oven and pour batter into the tin. Return to a high shelf in the oven and cook for approximately 25 mintues until risen, golden brown and crisp.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

Try using 1 extra egg to your recipe,

Desire x
Old Apr 29th 2007, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

In 99 % of cases of "yorkshire pudding failure" syndrome, the cause is not enough heat!, if your oven is suspect, try upping the temperature.

( and never ever open the oven door whilst you are cooking them!)
Old Apr 29th 2007, 10:10 am
Just Joined

John and Jackie is an unknown quantity at this point

Had no problem with the yorkie's. We use either oil or lard in trays but make sure they are in oven early to get hot (we also have a dodgy oven) Then 4 tbl spoons of plain flour, if the eggs look small we put 3 in and mix with semi milk so its not too thick. Then it's put in the fridge for about 5 mins before we use it...and dont sneak a look in oven too early. Its probably just trial and error but good luck.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 10:28 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Wendy;4712881]4oz Flour (well seived)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 medium eggs
1/2 pint milk and water mixed

Does anyone know what 4oz equates to in grams? Sorry I only understand metric
Old Apr 29th 2007, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killamarsh

Does anyone know what 4oz equates to in grams? Sorry I only understand metric

Approx 115 grams
Old Apr 29th 2007, 12:31 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Wendy. I cooked my first yorkie pudding at xmas and put in a bit to much. I was wanting one of those mega york puds to put all the food in. Well it needed it's own plate as it was so big. But heck it was good. Can't remember the recipe though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.