Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

yet another school Question.

yet another school Question.

Old Apr 21st 2006, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default yet another school Question.

my eldest is doing he's in year 11 & doing GCSE this year, he's D.O.B is in Sept 89, he's one of the oldest in he's class.
if he stayed on over in UK, he would had to another 2 years before he would go to uni.
So how many years would he have to do in OZ before going to uni, 1 or 2 years.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: yet another school Question.

He would have started school, in NSW, in 1995 and would therefore be in Year 11 in 2006. If my arithmatic is correct! Would be in Year 12, 2007 and could go to uni. in 2008.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
my eldest is doing he's in year 11 & doing GCSE this year, he's D.O.B is in Sept 89, he's one of the oldest in he's class.
if he stayed on over in UK, he would had to another 2 years before he would go to uni.
So how many years would he have to do in OZ before going to uni, 1 or 2 years.
Hello

Entrance to uni is based on secondary school exam/score such as Victorian Cert of Edu or High School Cert...... I was 17 when I started (in Feb - turned 18 in the May), there were a couple of 16 year olds who started at the same time as me.

As there were quite a few other 17 yr olds, I didnt mind about not being able to go out clubbing etc for the first few months.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

So does this mean that university degree courses are longer by 1 or 2 years? I did my first degree in 3 years full time.

Chris
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

So does this mean that university degree courses are longer by 1 or 2 years? I did my first degree in 3 years full time.

Chris
Like the UK, University degrees are usually three years (ie a bachelor), masters is usually an extra year fulltime. Some vocational degrees are longer eg speech therapy is often 4 yrs. So, people in my first degree, which was a 3 yr degree in Melbourne, graduated when the were around 20 or 21...if they went straight to uni from high school.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Like the UK, University degrees are usually three years (ie a bachelor), masters is usually an extra year fulltime. Some vocational degrees are longer eg speech therapy is often 4 yrs. So, people in my first degree, which was a 3 yr degree in Melbourne, graduated when the were around 20 or 21...if they went straight to uni from high school.
Thanks for that, so my son would have he's degree a year early, because over here he would have had to do another 2 years before he goes to uni, so they dont have equivalent to A'levels over there?
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 8:46 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, so my son would have he's degree a year early, because over here he would have had to do another 2 years before he goes to uni, so they dont have equivalent to A'levels over there?
I'm having a bit of trouble following this but are you saying that if you moved to oz now your son would go to uni a year earlier than if you stayed in the uk?

If so then that is not correct. Because your son is now in year 11 in the uk he would have to join the same year in oz - otherwise he would not have time to complete his High School Certificate (the oz equivalent of a levels) which takes 2 years.

If you had moved to oz a few years ago he could have gone into year 12 and would have done the equivalent to his gcse's last year.

Does that make sense?
Tiggs
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
I'm having a bit of trouble following this but are you saying that if you moved to oz now your son would go to uni a year earlier than if you stayed in the uk?

If so then that is not correct. Because your son is now in year 11 in the uk he would have to join the same year in oz - otherwise he would not have time to complete his High School Certificate (the oz equivalent of a levels) which takes 2 years.

If you had moved to oz a few years ago he could have gone into year 12 and would have done the equivalent to his gcse's last year.

Does that make sense?

Tiggs
That was my original question, he's doing he's GCSE this year, and then he would have done 2 years of "A" level, in UK.
So he would have enter uni when he would be 19 years old.
I wanted to know how many years he would be in school in OZ, before he would have gone to uni.
I thought it didnt make sense, so when we come to OZ in Aug, he would have to starts year 11 in Jan 2007.

Does this make sense.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 9:14 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

That was my original question, he's doing he's GCSE this year, and then he would have done 2 years of "A" level, in UK.
So he would have enter uni when he would be 19 years old.
I wanted to know how many years he would be in school in OZ, before he would have gone to uni.
I thought it didnt make sense, so when we come to OZ in Aug, he would have to starts year 11 in Jan 2007.

Does this make sense.
Lets get this straight - he is in year 11 now?
That means that he will be finishing his gcse's this june?
If you move to oz before the end of this year then he will start year 12 in january.
(rather than starting his A levels (year 12) in sept as he would here)
The problem is that due to his birthdate had he been living in oz he would have been in year 12 this year (i.e. a year ahead) and had you moved a few years back it would have been no problem to move him forward a year.
But if you are moving towards the end of this year (i think this is right but you should check this) he would not have time to complete year 12 and without completing this full year or equivalent he would not get his Higher School Certificate.
So in effect he will 'lose' a school year on his oz classmates.
In the end he will be a couple of months later starting uni than if you stayed in the uk as he would start in the following january rather than the september before (same position as my eldest)

???!!!????

Tiggs
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
Lets get this straight - he is in year 11 now?
That means that he will be finishing his gcse's this june?
If you move to oz before the end of this year then he will start year 12 in january.
(rather than starting his A levels (year 12) in sept as he would here)
The problem is that due to his birthdate had he been living in oz he would have been in year 12 this year (i.e. a year ahead) and had you moved a few years back it would have been no problem to move him forward a year.
But if you are moving towards the end of this year (i think this is right but you should check this) he would not have time to complete year 12 and without completing this full year or equivalent he would not get his Higher School Certificate.
So in effect he will 'lose' a school year on his oz classmates.
In the end he will be a couple of months later starting uni than if you stayed in the uk as he would start in the following january rather than the september before (same position as my eldest)

???!!!????

Tiggs
Thank you, now I've got, now I have to tell my son the bad news that he's still got to do 2 years rather than 1.
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

We moved here the Spetember after my son had finished his GCSE equivalent year (he was born 1989). He went into year 10 for the final few months more as an aclimatisation exercise than anything and is now into his year 11 studies. I would be wary of putting a child straight into year 12 here as they will have had no chance to test the system before doing the courses that count towards their University entrance score (these tend to be done in year 12 but Sam is also doing a couple of higher level this year). In Victoria the system works on levels (1 & 2 more basic 3 & 4 give entrance scores for University) and the year is split into 2 semesters. Sam will finish school here December 2007 and be able to go onto University (hopefully) at that point at 18 years old turning 19 which is the same as in the UK.
Nicky
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NickyP
We moved here the Spetember after my son had finished his GCSE equivalent year (he was born 1989). He went into year 10 for the final few months more as an aclimatisation exercise than anything and is now into his year 11 studies. I would be wary of putting a child straight into year 12 here as they will have had no chance to test the system before doing the courses that count towards their University entrance score (these tend to be done in year 12 but Sam is also doing a couple of higher level this year). In Victoria the system works on levels (1 & 2 more basic 3 & 4 give entrance scores for University) and the year is split into 2 semesters. Sam will finish school here December 2007 and be able to go onto University (hopefully) at that point at 18 years old turning 19 which is the same as in the UK.
Nicky
Thanks nicky, there so much information for younger children, but almost none for older one's, even thought my son is doing really well here, I rather him be in year 11 than jump to year 12 and not know the system.

farideh
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks nicky, there so much information for younger children, but almost none for older one's, even thought my son is doing really well here, I rather him be in year 11 than jump to year 12 and not know the system.

farideh
No problem I am sure that you will be fine. Where are you going in OZ ?as each state is very different. We found that we were really worried about getting the schools sorted but people here were great and dealt with it all very quickly and efficiently.
Have fun.
Nicky
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NickyP
No problem I am sure that you will be fine. Where are you going in OZ ?as each state is very different. We found that we were really worried about getting the schools sorted but people here were great and dealt with it all very quickly and efficiently.
Have fun.
Nicky
SA, or maybe Victoria, I think we shall know by tomorrow, if Victoria is still a possiblity.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

SA, or maybe Victoria, I think we shall know by tomorrow, if Victoria is still a possiblity.
Well let me know if you end up choosing Victoria and want and VCE information.
Good luck.
Nicky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.