Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A Yankee seeks the other side of the world

A Yankee seeks the other side of the world

Old Feb 15th 2003, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

mudokan is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile A Yankee seeks the other side of the world

Hello. This is my first post on here, and I hope I'm not offending anyone with my American-ness....

I'm a 23 year-old college educated (BA Communication degree) guy from Texas. I'm trying to get info on how easy/difficult it would be to move to either Australia or New Zealand. I'm just sick of living in the US, and am hoping to leave sometime this year. I'm just unsure of what is required, and I've heard differing things from different people. If anyone could drop me a line and let me know where to fine good info, I'd appreciate it

Thanks,

John
Old Feb 15th 2003, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A Yankee seeks the other side of the world

Hi there, for Australia you need to get a visa. Lots of different types, not easy at your age to get a pemanent one I think though as you need work experience. Anyway check out the immigration website for the visas, do a points test to see if you qualify and down load the migration booklet and that should keep you occupied for a while.

www.immi.gov.au

Best of luck
Mash...

Originally posted by mudokan
Hello. This is my first post on here, and I hope I'm not offending anyone with my American-ness....

I'm a 23 year-old college educated (BA Communication degree) guy from Texas. I'm trying to get info on how easy/difficult it would be to move to either Australia or New Zealand. I'm just sick of living in the US, and am hoping to leave sometime this year. I'm just unsure of what is required, and I've heard differing things from different people. If anyone could drop me a line and let me know where to fine good info, I'd appreciate it

Thanks,

John
Old Feb 15th 2003, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

If you could obtain a Canadian or Irish passport (a lot of Americans do) I'd suggest you try a Working Holiday Visa in Australia. Sadly as the US doesn't allow Aussies to enjoy that status in America, WHV's are not generally offered to US nationals wishing to visit downunder.

So that leaves you with migration or holidaying (working not permitted) in Australia.

At 23 you probably don't have enough experience to qualify for migration, but your quals give you a head start ... but you can go read the rules at http://www.immi.gov.au ... but you do have time enough to gain that experience.

I guess you could consider NZ http://www.immigration.govt.nz/

Give the holiday a try ... (holiday = vacation)