Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Xrates down to $1.78 to £1.00,does it give extra push to sell up in OZ

Xrates down to $1.78 to £1.00,does it give extra push to sell up in OZ

Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:31 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Xrates down to $1.78 to £1.00,does it give extra push to sell up in OZ

Spending all day outside / inside in tee shirt and shorts most of the year.

Swimming in outdoor pools most of the year.

Living and working close enough to the ocean to enjoy it daily.

Lack of congestion in comparision. spending less time in traffic more relaxing.

The same applies for queing at shops.

Not having to scrape the ice from your car or drive in dangerous conditions for 3 months a year.

Being able to ride the train / bus after dark.

To go to the park on a weekend and not check for needles first.

mostly predictable weather that you can actually plan ahead.

Obviously depends where you live in Australia and the UK.

But my own experiences tell me that Australia offers me the things I want and the UK doesn't offer the same things.

None of the above is obtainable in the UK and depicts the Australian lifestyle i Mention, if you choose not to enjoy these things then that is upto you.

I do respect that the UK offers things which are great which Australia doesn't offer.

Lots of rain

Hence no water restrictions

Great shopping

Great dining.

Great culture and heritage.

My statement was just stating that Australia offers things that the UK doesn't, because it cannot

Most importantly the same applies in reverse. Nothing wrong with the statement I made so those that jumped up and down and got their knickers in a twist, chill out, kick back and enjoy life, or is that something only Australians get to do !!

Last edited by Brisben; Oct 8th 2009 at 3:34 am.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Xrates down to $1.78 to £1.00,does it give extra push to sell up in OZ

Originally Posted by Brisben
Great dining.
Your reply was pretty good until that statement.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:38 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Your reply was pretty good until that statement.
Well yeah what I really meant was great choice of dining ! certainly not always good.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:55 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

None of the above is obtainable in the UK
Other than the stuff that relates to year round warm weather, I think that statement is nonsense.

You can't ride a train or bus after dark in the UK? Why not? I used to do it all the time in London. Many people I know still do - haven't heard any adverse reports. I also used to do it in Brisbane and experienced more agro there on late trains and night buses than London.

Dangerous driving conditions? Ever seen the state of the Bruce Highway after a summer storm? Seems to cause a lot more problems than a frosty day on the M25! Dangerous driving...now that's another matter...they excel at that in Qld!

Lack of congestion? This is not a Brisbane strong point...no way!
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:02 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Why is not possible to disagree with the statement?

I think the lifestyle I enjoy now is obtainable in the UK.
So why didn't you just enjoy it there then ?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:06 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
So why didn't you just enjoy it there then ?
I first came here due to being in a relationship with an Aussie who didn't stand much of a chance getting a visa for the UK. And I'm more than happy here. And I'm also more than happy to experience life living somewhere else. Can't I be truly happy in Aus unless I see the need to bag another country all the time...seems that way sometimes?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I think so.

People bang on endlessly about 'the lifestyle' - is Australia really so homogenous and bland that it only offers one? I don't think so.

If the point is about beaches & 'the outdoor life' then I'm sure there are millions of Aussies who spend very little time enjoying either...I certainly know plenty. Each persons ideal lifestyle is different and need not involve the things Australia is 'good' at.
Agreed.

My lifestyle would be hard to get in the UK. It is either further from London, or a fair bit more money. It's that sweetspot again as has been discussed.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Not having to scrape the ice from your car or drive in dangerous conditions for 3 months a year.

But my own experiences tell me that Australia offers me the things I want and the UK doesn't offer the same things.

None of the above is obtainable in the UK and depicts the Australian lifestyle i Mention, if you choose not to enjoy these things then that is upto you.
What the hell! You make the UK sound like Afghanistan
Old Oct 8th 2009, 5:35 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

You have buses... after dark !!!!!
Old Oct 8th 2009, 5:38 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
British buses just park in a lay by 'til sun up, then continue the journey. If the snow plough works obviously.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 6:43 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
We do in this area
and very little traffic congestion at any time of day.

But then, not all of Australia is the same is it...

Old Oct 8th 2009, 6:46 am
ABCDiamond

I do respect that the UK offers things which are great which Australia doesn't offer.
Thought I would just highlight these two bits from your post, in case they don't get noticed.

Old Oct 8th 2009, 10:35 am
Born to be wild....

Other than the stuff that relates to year round warm weather, I think that statement is nonsense.

You can't ride a train or bus after dark in the UK? Why not? I used to do it all the time in London. Many people I know still do - haven't heard any adverse reports. I also used to do it in Brisbane and experienced more agro there on late trains and night buses than London.

Dangerous driving conditions? Ever seen the state of the Bruce Highway after a summer storm? Seems to cause a lot more problems than a frosty day on the M25! Dangerous driving...now that's another matter...they excel at that in Qld!

Lack of congestion? This is not a Brisbane strong point...no way!
Yeah fair enough , however please consider your own statements before making judgement on mine.

Statistically London buses and train journeys are more dangerous than Brisbane or Melbourne train journeys.

You can obviously ride a London train after dark, but I would prefer not to.

Statistically the M25 is far more dangerous than any road in Queensland. Obviously it is, it carries more cars. So regardless of the bad driving habits of Queenslanders, it is still safer to travel in Queensland than it is London.

Brisbane has less congestion thank many British cities, it has less traffic. look into cars per square mile. The UK has a much higher ratio. Same applies for population density. Consider the implications of that.

Overall any city in Australia has a lower population density than London. Therefore without considering infrastructure, I am sure I spend less time queuing in Brisbane than I did in London.

Overall we both know Australia is a better place to live than the UK, otherwise you would live there and not here.

I love the UK, but hey I prefer Australia.

But each to their own.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 10:38 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Thought I would just highlight these two bits from your post, in case they don't get noticed.
So is it fair to say, "better the devil you know than the one you dont"
be happy where you are and enjoy what and the people you have around you.
Remember it is harder to change something than just staying put,that is why many people migrated in the first place,you ONLY LIVE ONCE so enjoy it and smile
Old Oct 8th 2009, 10:41 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah fair enough , however please consider your own statements before making judgement on mine.

Statistically London buses and train journeys are more dangerous than Brisbane or Melbourne train journeys.

You can obviously ride a London train after dark, but I would prefer not to.

Statistically the M25 is far more dangerous than any road in Queensland. Obviously it is, it carries more cars. So regardless of the bad driving habits of Queenslanders, it is still safer to travel in Queensland than it is London.

Brisbane has less congestion thank many British cities, it has less traffic. look into cars per square mile. The UK has a much higher ratio. Same applies for population density. Consider the implications of that.

Overall any city in Australia has a lower population density than London. Therefore without considering infrastructure, I am sure I spend less time queuing in Brisbane than I did in London.

Overall we both know Australia is a better place to live than the UK, otherwise you would live there and not here.

I love the UK, but hey I prefer Australia.

But each to their own.
My thoughts too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.