Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Xrates down to $1.78 to £1.00,does it give extra push to sell up in OZ

Xrates down to $1.78 to £1.00,does it give extra push to sell up in OZ

Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Xrates down to $1.78 to £1.00,does it give extra push to sell up in OZ

Originally Posted by Gems
The only thing we are thinking about is how good online shopping will get with the pound and American dollar dropping.

We would not return to England, Ive got relatives who had the same job for years and now having to drive a taxi to make a living(and hating it).
All the money in the world will not last long if jobs are short on supply.

I still think my kids will have more opportunities here.

Gems
Agree with the kids and opportunities factor now. India is supposedly coming along the same way as China, with very little impact on the Aussie economy thusfar....Imagine what two massive raw material importers will do for the Aussie economy. Japan and Korea are in a slump presently, plus the rest of South East Asia has to fire up again,. When they all start singing in unison there are going to be some whooping great holes in Australian dirt. Australia may even get enough money to sort out it's pre-historic water infrastructure. Then Farming can join in the export game with a vengeance..

I'd Like to know if anyone can pick flaws in the above logic ?

Yes It does seem there could be better opportunities for our kids, and their kids. Although I'm sure our Grandkids, will be sharing this country with a very large proportion of Asian people, which is only fair considering our geographical position.

Hmm if this keeps going that annual holiday in the Northern Hemisphere upon retirement will become an odds on bet.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 7th 2009 at 3:09 am.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:31 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Xrates down to $1.78 to £1.00,does it give extra push to sell up in OZ

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The main reason for us coming here was australias cheap cost of living, that was 2000, most of our living costs since then have trebled.
Isn't that a major exaggeration ?

Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Maybe - I lived here until 2000 then came back in 2008, things have easily doubled or triple in many cases, except salaries.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Maybe - I lived here until 2000 then came back in 2008, things have easily doubled or triple in many cases, except salaries.
What 'things'? And why exclude celery from your rather sweeping statement?
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:45 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Aussies I knew in the UK back then used to always complain about how expensive the UK was in comparison.....it was 'dollars for pounds' they use to say. i.e. what cost 1 pound in the UK would cost 1 dollar in Aus (at the time, about 1/3 of the price).

I first arrived in 2003 and couldn't see any evidence of it though...perhaps they were exaggerating too??
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
What 'things'? And why exclude celery from your rather sweeping statement?
Houses
Rent
Alcohol
Groceries
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:57 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
Aussies I knew in the UK back then used to always complain about how expensive the UK was in comparison.....it was 'dollars for pounds' they use to say. i.e. what cost 1 pound in the UK would cost 1 dollar in Aus (at the time, about 1/3 of the price).

I first arrived in 2003 and couldn't see any evidence of it though...perhaps they were exaggerating too??
Too many things do get exaggerated, so it becomes difficult to believe anything.

Working on our own standard of living, which hasn't changed much in the way we buy things, the TOTAL average annual increase for our living expenses has risen by an average of 5.35% per year for the last 5 years.

Our total NET annual income has risen by an average of 6.1% per year. Now that explains why I had a few extra $ in the bank

Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Too many things do get exaggerated, so it becomes difficult to believe anything.

Working on our own standard of living, which hasn't changed much in the way we buy things, the TOTAL average annual increase for our living expenses has risen by an average of 5.35% per year for the last 5 years.

Our total NET annual income has risen by an average of 6.1% per year. Now that explains why I had a few extra $ in the bank
But the problem is how "average" is your income - are you able to crank it up yourself or are you dependent on a third party to increase it? etc
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:24 am
ABCDiamond

Houses
Rent
Alcohol
Groceries
Are you saying ALL of these have doubled or tripled in price since 2000 ?

To double in price is actually equal to an average 8% per annum increase for that time frame.

Average Gross wages in that time frame have risen by an average of 4.9% per year.
But an average wage earner in 2000 would have been in the 43% tax bracket, whereas now they are only in the 30% tax bracket, so net income will have risen faster than that 4.9%, at a figure of 5.66% per annum.

It is still a slight increase in expenditure above income, assuming that everything doubled in price during that time frame.
But I know that Lettuce hasn't

Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Are you saying ALL of these have doubled or tripled in price since 2000 ?

To double in price is actually equal to an average 8% per annum increase for that time frame.

Average Gross wages in that time frame have risen by an average of 4.9% per year.
But an average wage earner in 2000 would have been in the 43% tax bracket, whereas now they are only in the 30% tax bracket, so net income will have risen faster than that 4.9%, at a figure of 5.66% per annum.

It is still a slight increase in expenditure above income, assuming that everything doubled in price during that time frame.
But I know that Lettuce hasn't
My 3 bedroom house in South Yarra (I rented) was sold for $350,000, it had a reasonable section. If you bought that for $700K today it would be a bargain.

You used to be able to buy pots for $1, now $2.50 is the cheapest I've seen and that was at a working class pub in Footscray.

Can't remember individual food costs

Lapdances used to be $20, now they are $50.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

My 3 bedroom house in South Yarra (I rented) was sold for $350,000, it had a reasonable section. If you bought that for $700K today it would be a bargain.

You used to be able to buy pots for $1, now $2.50 is the cheapest I've seen and that was at a working class pub in Footscray.

Can't remember individual food costs

Strippers are feeling the pinch too?!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:33 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by hereandthere
But the problem is how "average" is your income - are you able to crank it up yourself or are you dependent on a third party to increase it? etc
It is actually surprisingly "average"...

No control on our income whatsoever. Union determined rates for our earned income, although my personal interest income has dropped But it may go up by 0.25% soon...

The 'average' net income rise (according to my figures before) has been 5.66% per annum, compared to our 6.1%, so we do seem to be a bit better off than average. Maybe down to FTB and the Low Income Tax Offset.

Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:40 am
ABCDiamond

The price of Milk is lower than it was in 2000, so, for comparison: we get about 150 x 2lt bottles of milk per year. How many lap dances do you get ?

Old Oct 7th 2009, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Why would I want to re-board a sinking ship ?
because it aint sinking
Old Oct 7th 2009, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh yes would love to - I keep looking at the lovely houses we could get mortgage free with the current exchange rate.

Not sure that I share the eternal optimism of the resources boom getting Aus out of the hole that is swiftly being dug here - I doubt that there are more opportunities for kids either, that's probably about the same. The big issue for me will be when the Aussie dollar stops being so strong then my pension would be hard to live on - however I keep trying to persuade the DH that we would be OK if not totally better off in UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.