Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

x 3 GPB to AUD salary conversion - how accurate is it?

x 3 GPB to AUD salary conversion - how accurate is it?

Old Jul 13th 2011, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Julianne will become famous soon enough
Default x 3 GPB to AUD salary conversion - how accurate is it?

We are looking for a bit of advice regarding Australian salaries. I have done a fair bit of trawling through this forum over the past months or so and it seems to be a rule that to get a similar salary/lifestyle in Australia, you multiply your UK salary by 3….? How accurate is this formula?

My partner and I are currently based in London and earn healthy London salaries. My occupation and earning potential transfers pretty easily with the above conversion, however this is not the case with my partner.
My OH works in banking and is employed on a contracting basis (he earns a daily rate). If he were to be employed on a permanent basis, he would be earning a salary of approximately £70 - £80K – research tells us however that this field in Australia pays a maximum of $120,000, which is significantly less than the x3 conversion.

I’m obviously more than aware that $120,000 plus what I will be earning (between $60-$70K) will be MORE than enough for a couple in their late 20s to start up on, but is there really THAT much difference between the UK & Australian salary conversions?

Thoughts and input appreciated
Old Jul 13th 2011, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: x 3 GPB to AUD salary conversion - how accurate is it?

Originally Posted by Julianne
We are looking for a bit of advice regarding Australian salaries. I have done a fair bit of trawling through this forum over the past months or so and it seems to be a rule that to get a similar salary/lifestyle in Australia, you multiply your UK salary by 3….? How accurate is this formula?

My partner and I are currently based in London and earn healthy London salaries. My occupation and earning potential transfers pretty easily with the above conversion, however this is not the case with my partner.
My OH works in banking and is employed on a contracting basis (he earns a daily rate). If he were to be employed on a permanent basis, he would be earning a salary of approximately £70 - £80K – research tells us however that this field in Australia pays a maximum of $120,000, which is significantly less than the x3 conversion.

I’m obviously more than aware that $120,000 plus what I will be earning (between $60-$70K) will be MORE than enough for a couple in their late 20s to start up on, but is there really THAT much difference between the UK & Australian salary conversions?

It's really hard to say because current anecdotal BE estimates is 2-2.2......as evidenced by recent threads...

3 was an old, popular magic number - because hey presto -it was, moreorless, (often less) the FX rate for quite some time.

Maybe 3x has some relevance now, more than ever, as people find the cost of living is very expensive and it will help you focus on negotiating a higher salary.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire but aiming for distant shores....
Reaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to behold

I think life is what ya make it Julianne.

My uncle and aunt have lived out there all their lives, they have no rent or mortgage, but aside from that they live on $35,000 a year.

My wife and I are hoping to move out there in years to come, with £50k - £60 to start us off. With the two of us working I expect an annual household income of around $150k - $180k per year, and even with 4 kids I expect that to be more than sufficient.

Your not going to have a similar standard or lifestyle over there as you have here, otherwise you wouldnt be moving. Life is different over there. Europe isnt a stones throw away, so you will probably have less foreign holidays than you do now, but thats not to say you wont have holidays. Sounds like Im trying to teach you to suck eggs, but I guess what Im saying is dont try to compare over here with over there. Just save your money and go, and enjoy it for what it is and what it has to offer.

Just my opinion.

Old Jul 13th 2011, 10:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

it isn't
Old Jul 13th 2011, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Bankers are overpaid in the UK

$120k even seems excessive for someone who creams off of other peoples productivity.

Roles within mining and engineering can earn significantly more than 3 x the UK salary, some roles alot less. Ask yourself what Australia needs right now, people to work in the commodities boom propping the country up or bankers to lose more of peoples super?

Last edited by bingobob777; Jul 13th 2011 at 10:29 am.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I to am confused by the salary comparisons. Although I am thinking of going the other way, aus to the uk.

I look at UK jobs and see the salary is half what I am earning in aus and I am struggling with the idea of coming down so far.

I dont think the living costs here in aus are that much higher than the uk so I am very confused how the wages can be so much less
Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

My OH and I were both in finance sector in London. I know what our market rates there were and I have a good idea of the market rates here now and it does not convert at 3 x £ for us. I got about 2.5x and Mr BS about 2x originally although now he is also about 2.5x as well.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jul 13th 2011 at 11:13 am.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Someone worked out the difference in average salaries to be 2.2. If you are doing a straight cost of living conversion this is the most accurate figure to use. Of course once you actually start earning an actual salary in Australia you can then work out exactly what percentage of your wage a litre of milk costs in each country, rather than using average salaries.

Last edited by fish.01; Jul 13th 2011 at 12:18 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 1:20 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

It depends a bit on where you're coming from and going to.

3x is probably accurate if you're moving from Sticksville, UK to Sydney. London to Melbourne you're probably looking more like 2x and London to Sydney would be something like 2.2x
Old Jul 13th 2011, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
It depends a bit on where you're coming from and going to.

3x is probably accurate if you're moving from Sticksville, UK to Sydney. London to Melbourne you're probably looking more like 2x and London to Sydney would be something like 2.2x
Yes, if you can get the average salary of your home town and new town you will be able to divide the 2 amounts to get a more accurate ratio.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 6:28 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

$2.5 to £1 is as accurate as you will get........
Old Jul 13th 2011, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

120k in Sydney is crap I moved back to a salary of around £75k after earning around $150k and was much better off for it.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 7:52 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

I got significantly less in commodities broking going from London (150k Gbp) to (200k AUD) which was still acceptable but I could feel the difference - the rent alone on my flat near the office was $55k per year. I also had to work nights as the markets during the day were so illiquid in my area and that meant stuffy hot office as the aircon went off, working alone, wasting time doing recaps as the back office was in bed etc. Career wise it was a very bad move but it is a nicer place if you want a quieter more relaxed life to London. I ended up leaving as they moved my desk to Singapore effectively canceling my 457. For career progression and better employment practices London wins in my opinion. For lifestyle (at least for a while) Sydney was lovely.

With regard to the original 'is 3x accurate' then I think yes. Definitely 2.5 + if you don't want to encounter a drop in standard of living.

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Jul 13th 2011 at 7:57 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

GeneJeanie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by isgraham
120k in Sydney is crap.

How would 120k in Perth compare to same in Sydney??
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
120k in Sydney is crap I moved back to a salary of around £75k after earning around $150k and was much better off for it.
Going from 70k in London to 120k in Sydney is not great financially, but people can have other reasons for moving and they might just decide it is worth taking the hit. I do think that 200k for a young couple in Sydney would provide a decent living, even if it is behind their London standard of living.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.