Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wynnum/Manly/Lota Area Good, Bad, Ugly?

Wynnum/Manly/Lota Area Good, Bad, Ugly?

Old Jan 18th 2008, 6:47 pm
Banned

forkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the rough
Default Wynnum/Manly/Lota Area Good, Bad, Ugly?

Hello Folks,

Just glancing over the map of Queensland, starting to get to grips with the sheer size of the place. At the beginning i used to think, hey Sunshine Coast just a 10 minute trip up from Brisbane, and the Gold Coast just 10 minutes down the road etc? Maybe not so local?

So, the better looking half would be working in CBD, while i fish, lay on the beach and just take it easy, life is too short to over do things too early? So i need an area close to CBD, but near the beach, the ocean, a few pubs, with good transport links etc?

Was looking at the Redcliffe Peninsula, Scarborough, but if you had the choice and took into consideration what i have mentioned above, would you choose either;

Scarborough (Redcliffe Peninsula)

OR

Wynnum/Manly/Lota Area

If so any chance of citing why, also is there much rental in the Wynnum/Manly/Lota Area, i know i have looked on the net, but what is it like on the ground, what would you get for say $300.00 aweek, a two bed unit or townhouse maybe?

Cheers for any replies!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 10:50 pm
Banned

forkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Wynnum/Manly/Lota Area Good, Bad, Ugly?

Bump, surreal i know, but very bump!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 11:18 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

For rental prices look here

http://www.realestate.com.au

There's a tab at the top for rentals.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 11:52 pm
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

We live near Wynnum, Manly, Lota and the areas come very highly recommended. only 30 mins by train into the city. and by the sea.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 3:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Shortlets
We live near Wynnum, Manly, Lota and the areas come very highly recommended. only 30 mins by train into the city. and by the sea.
Cheers, thanks. Is it far to the Boeing plant from this area, what i mean is i suppose is the drive a goodun or a badun?

Originally Posted by comet555
For rental prices look here
http://www.realestate.com.au
There's a tab at the top for rentals.
Obviously looked already? But would like to hear from real people, opinions etc?
Old Jan 19th 2008, 11:52 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by forkandknife
Cheers, thanks. Is it far to the Boeing plant from this area, what i mean is i suppose is the drive a goodun or a badun?

Obviously looked already? But would like to hear from real people, opinions etc?
Sorry, I missed that you'd looked already. Although I still would have posted it anyway as I'm always surprised by how many people don't really look enough and get surprised at the situation.

$300 a week doesn't seem like much, but then I have no experience with a 2 bed unit or townhouse. Our house rental in Wellington Point was $350 a week, and in the Wynnum, Manly, Lota area it would have been more. So maybe $300 a week seems reasonable for what you mentioned. Hopefully else will come along and give you a better idea.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 4:03 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Are you on about Boeing out west. If so friend of ours used to work there (now works for Virgin). Think it took him about 50 mins travelling time.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 20th 2008, 6:22 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Folks,

Just glancing over the map of Queensland, starting to get to grips with the sheer size of the place. At the beginning i used to think, hey Sunshine Coast just a 10 minute trip up from Brisbane, and the Gold Coast just 10 minutes down the road etc? Maybe not so local?

So, the better looking half would be working in CBD, while i fish, lay on the beach and just take it easy, life is too short to over do things too early? So i need an area close to CBD, but near the beach, the ocean, a few pubs, with good transport links etc?

Was looking at the Redcliffe Peninsula, Scarborough, but if you had the choice and took into consideration what i have mentioned above, would you choose either;

Scarborough (Redcliffe Peninsula)

OR

Wynnum/Manly/Lota Area

If so any chance of citing why, also is there much rental in the Wynnum/Manly/Lota Area, i know i have looked on the net, but what is it like on the ground, what would you get for say $300.00 aweek, a two bed unit or townhouse maybe?

Cheers for any replies!
No beaches in Wynnum/ Manly/ Lota - just Mangrove Swamps!
If it's beaches and a 'reasonable' commute you want, then head to Redcliffe (Can take an hour and a half in rush hour be warned - half hour when traffic is quiet)
We are just about to move from Reddy to Cleveland area - commute is too much for the missus.
$300 aint gonna get you much, but you will find something! Just don't expect a palatial mansion for that price. You'd be surprised at what an extra $100 PW will get you!!!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 2:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
No beaches in Wynnum/ Manly/ Lota - just Mangrove Swamps!
If it's beaches and a 'reasonable' commute you want, then head to Redcliffe (Can take an hour and a half in rush hour be warned - half hour when traffic is quiet)
We are just about to move from Reddy to Cleveland area - commute is too much for the missus.
$300 aint gonna get you much, but you will find something! Just don't expect a palatial mansion for that price. You'd be surprised at what an extra $100 PW will get you!!!
No beaches, cannot lie on the swamps, too near to the crocs? Have to admit i do like the sound of Redcliffe, but the commute to CBD is daunting, whereas the commute from the Wynnum/ Manly/ Lota area seems a little less daunting? Same as you, i do not want the missus spending up to three hours aday in a metal box, life is too short for all of that.

Whats the commute like from Cleveland to CBD, good or bad?

Thanks for the heads up on Cleveland, looks very nice, found this which looks superb;

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1200844245

I have a feeling i may find work in the Ipswich arae, but it seems so far inland, any guesses of the drive time from a coastal region such as Clevland to Ipswich?

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails Wynnum/Manly/Lota Area Good, Bad, Ugly?-untitled1.jpg  
Old Jan 20th 2008, 6:13 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

No beaches, cannot lie on the swamps, too near to the crocs? Have to admit i do like the sound of Redcliffe, but the commute to CBD is daunting, whereas the commute from the Wynnum/ Manly/ Lota area seems a little less daunting? Same as you, i do not want the missus spending up to three hours aday in a metal box, life is too short for all of that.

Thanks for the heads up on Cleveland, looks very nice, found this which looks superb;

I have a feeling i may find work in the Ipswich arae, but it seems so far inland, any guesses of the drive time from a coastal region such as Clevland to Ipswich?

Cheers!
Not too sure personally but another BE user, Bobbyftm lives in Cleveland and I think, works in or near to Ipswich - might be worth a PM?

Commute from Cleveland to CBD is about half an hour or there is a train which stops in Cleveland.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 6:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Not too sure personally but another BE user, Bobbyftm lives in Cleveland and I think, works in or near to Ipswich - might be worth a PM?

Commute from Cleveland to CBD is about half an hour or there is a train which stops in Cleveland.
Cheer mate, thanks for the feedback, all that is left now is a nice public house with a large beer garden and some swings and a slide for my better looking half to play on while i enjoy an orange juice?
Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:53 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Cheers!
We lived in Wellington Point for a bit, and I'd say a trip from Cleveland to the CBD would take about an hour on the train (maybe a couple minutes less). No idea how long if you were driving in, although I suspect it was closer to an hour.

My husband used to take the train all the time and it took 45 min from Wellington Point, and that was the express train that skipped a few stops.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by comet555
We lived in Wellington Point for a bit, and I'd say a trip from Cleveland to the CBD would take about an hour on the train (maybe a couple minutes less). No idea how long if you were driving in, although I suspect it was closer to an hour.

My husband used to take the train all the time and it took 45 min from Wellington Point, and that was the express train that skipped a few stops.
Cheers, travelling to and from work is time you do not get paid for so keep it to a minimum?

Cheers
Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:03 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Cheers, travelling to and from work is time you do not get paid for so keep it to a minimum?

Cheers
Just to give you another picture, we're in Capalaba which is about a 20 minutes drive west of Cleveland. My husband takes a bus to the CBD and it takes 35 minutes, but then you add 10 minute walk on either end to get to bus stop and get to work. We're about a 12 minutes drive from the Birkdale train station.

You could possible look about 15 miutes or so from the coast, it would cut your cummute time and the housing costs would be a little cheaper. For us, it made a lot more sense as we ended up with a much nicer house and a shorter commute. Plus, we don't head to the coast everyday so a 20 minute drive is no problem.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:12 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Ive always been of the opinion, live where you want to live, not where the commute is best.

But then im a country boy at heart.

I would sooner live in a nice place, away from the hustle and bustle than live in the thick of the city.

Just as a comparison.

We live in technically to Brisbanites ( woop Woop )

My journey to the city is about 10 minutes more, than someone living 20k closer than me !

It depends on the roads you live on, and knowing the shortcuts.

Hence so much talk on here about GPS , and Tom Toms etc.

Having said that, with the pissing about on the gateway, until 2011 my southbound daily journey is at about 2 hrs ! to work

But who gives a crap, when you live where you want to.... lifes to short to be a professional commuter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.