Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wrong approach to the crime issue?

Wrong approach to the crime issue?

Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

JimmyD40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wrong approach to the crime issue?

Hi everybody,

I had originally posted about this in the "take it outside" area of the site but not much feedback - really wanted to see what other people think, as personally I am quite concerned by the idea.

Theres a new site in the UK that names and shames criminals, if you google the rat book you will find it. There was an article about it on The Register over the weekend and they raised the point of the whole vigilante threat that a site like this poses. Im not a criminal myself so nothing to worry about "in theory"..but still what if they get something wrong? And what about the risk to people who have done their time?

Is there anything like this over in Australia at all?

All the best,

Jimmy
Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wrong approach to the crime issue?

Originally Posted by JimmyD40
Hi everybody,

I had originally posted about this in the "take it outside" area of the site but not much feedback - really wanted to see what other people think, as personally I am quite concerned by the idea.

Theres a new site in the UK that names and shames criminals, if you google the rat book you will find it. There was an article about it on The Register over the weekend and they raised the point of the whole vigilante threat that a site like this poses. Im not a criminal myself so nothing to worry about "in theory"..but still what if they get something wrong? And what about the risk to people who have done their time?

All the best,

Jimmy
No, no website to name criminals, though in WA, offenders doing community service have started wearing bright flak jackets. I think this is a good idea, they need to feel a bit of shame.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

I think it's a great idea

Criminals and scumbags who bring misery and suffering on the innocent should be named and shamed
Old Dec 18th 2009, 6:11 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everybody,

All the best,

Jimmy
Are you on it?
Old Dec 18th 2009, 6:20 am
ABCDiamond

what if they get something wrong?
That is the only problem. Otherwise, just shoot 'em...

Unfortunately though, mistakes happen...

James Bain left prison today after serving 35 years for a crime he didn't commit. The 54-year-old Florida man, cleared by DNA evidence..... more

Old Dec 18th 2009, 7:11 am
Just Joined

JimmyD40 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Are you on it?
Not yet

Ahem
Old Dec 18th 2009, 10:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

When names of paedophiles have got out, vigilantes have taken 'justice' upon themselves and often have got the wrong person. Whilst courts and police make mistakes, I don't like the idea of joe bloggs being able to hand out 'justice'. Makes them as bad as the bad guy.

Not giving Joe Bloggs a hard time, just using his name as an example
Old Dec 18th 2009, 11:44 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

Poor Joe Bloggs really gets a workout doesn't he. I hope there isn't someone actually called Joe Bloggs though.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 1:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

When names of paedophiles have got out, vigilantes have taken 'justice' upon themselves and often have got the wrong person. Whilst courts and police make mistakes, I don't like the idea of joe bloggs being able to hand out 'justice'. Makes them as bad as the bad guy.

I agree, its wrong to encourage the vigilante culture because of those times the wrong person gets vilified. Look at the paediatrician that was driven from her home because a bunch of idiots couldn't tell the difference between paediatrician and paedophile. And what about the families of the paedophiles - don't THEY have any rights? Why should they have a howling mob outside their front door because of something a relative did?
Old Dec 18th 2009, 5:18 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I agree, its wrong to encourage the vigilante culture because of those times the wrong person gets vilified. Look at the paediatrician that was driven from her home because a bunch of idiots couldn't tell the difference between paediatrician and paedophile. And what about the families of the paedophiles - don't THEY have any rights? Why should they have a howling mob outside their front door because of something a relative did?
Yes often people involved in lynch mobs are not the most intelligent people in the world and end up attacking the wrong person.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 4:45 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

See you've turned into a bit of a pussycat there Penny
Old Dec 19th 2009, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

pops71 is just really nicepops71 is just really nicepops71 is just really nicepops71 is just really nicepops71 is just really nicepops71 is just really nicepops71 is just really nicepops71 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I was an another board recently when a discussion similar to this came up. I googled 'mistaken paedophile killed' or similar. It's amazing how many of these cases that there are, and how sadistic and brutal the manner of their demise usually is.
It's also notable that none of the attackers had any links to anyone who might have been abused, they were just some baying mob-hounds looking for I don't know what.

That website is bad news in so many ways - as mentioned, what about families, children of the accused etc.
Also why do we bother having prison sentences or whatever, if that isn't punishment enough for their crimes?
Old Dec 20th 2009, 10:25 am
Chelle66

Chelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really niceChelle66 is just really nice

Originally Posted by pops71
I was an another board recently when a discussion similar to this came up. I googled 'mistaken paedophile killed' or similar. It's amazing how many of these cases that there are, and how sadistic and brutal the manner of their demise usually is.
It's also notable that none of the attackers had any links to anyone who might have been abused, they were just some baying mob-hounds looking for I don't know what.

That website is bad news in so many ways - as mentioned, what about families, children of the accused etc.
Also why do we bother having prison sentences or whatever, if that isn't punishment enough for their crimes?

In most cases, punishment, or prison sentences as they're laughingly called, aren't enough. The only way to protect these scumbags from the public is to lock them up for life (in the case of paedos, murderers and other sex offenders). I do feel for their families and do believe they shouldn't be made to suffer for the crime committed by a relative. But I also think that if the crime was committed against one of my relatives (especially my child), then I'm afraid I'm with those who want them dead. If that makes me as bad as them, fine but if the justice system worked properly, there would be no need for vigilanties.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 11:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Chelle66
if the justice system worked properly, there would be no need for vigilanties.
I agree.

Old Dec 20th 2009, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chelle66
In most cases, punishment, or prison sentences as they're laughingly called, aren't enough. The only way to protect these scumbags from the public is to lock them up for life (in the case of paedos, murderers and other sex offenders). I do feel for their families and do believe they shouldn't be made to suffer for the crime committed by a relative. But I also think that if the crime was committed against one of my relatives (especially my child), then I'm afraid I'm with those who want them dead. If that makes me as bad as them, fine but if the justice system worked properly, there would be no need for vigilanties.
Well said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.