Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Woy Woy to North Ryde commutable by train?

Is Woy Woy to North Ryde commutable by train?

Old Jan 20th 2013, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

barnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nice
Default Is Woy Woy to North Ryde commutable by train?

Hi,
My husband is currently talking to a couple of companies in North Ryde and we are looking at a possible move to the Central coast (around Empire Bay, St Huberts Island). What I want to know is if this area is commutable to North Ryde. From my internet research I am thinking - 10 mins drive to Woy Woy station, 45 mins train to Epping then transfer to the Northern Line to North Ryde (10 mins?). Is this at all possible and if so am I even close with the times?

Any help much appreciated. I also need advice about areas around Central coast but will post a separate thread.

Cheers

Sally
Old Jan 20th 2013, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Woy Woy to North Ryde commutable by train?

Originally Posted by barnsleylass
Hi,
My husband is currently talking to a couple of companies in North Ryde and we are looking at a possible move to the Central coast (around Empire Bay, St Huberts Island). What I want to know is if this area is commutable to North Ryde. From my internet research I am thinking - 10 mins drive to Woy Woy station, 45 mins train to Epping then transfer to the Northern Line to North Ryde (10 mins?). Is this at all possible and if so am I even close with the times?

Any help much appreciated. I also need advice about areas around Central coast but will post a separate thread.

Cheers

Sally
I never caught the train to Nth Ryde, but worked there for years. I'd look at the option of carrying on to Chatswood then change lines. You'll probably get a slightly less crowded train going that way as more folks would come in from west and it'd be quicker.

Things may have changed now, but I 'think' you may have to change trains at Hornsby anyway (city train to country train). I remember the mad scramble for folks that lived on the central coast leaving the office to make their Hornsby connection, but like I say, that could have changed.

Whereabouts in Nth Ryde? as the two stations are at opposite ends of the area, and whilst not a long walk, can be unpleasant in the heat when the traffic is heavy. And tell him to get used to a lot of escalators
Old Jan 20th 2013, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

barnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nicebarnsleylass is just really nice

Hi Tr1boy - thanks for your help. Looking on the map it looks like the offices are around the corner from Macquaire Park station so shouldn't be a bad walk.

I'll have to look into having to change at Hornsby as that could be an extra hassle. Preferable to driving though I'm sure?

Sally
Old Jan 20th 2013, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleylass
Hi Tr1boy - thanks for your help. Looking on the map it looks like the offices are around the corner from Macquaire Park station so shouldn't be a bad walk.

I'll have to look into having to change at Hornsby as that could be an extra hassle. Preferable to driving though I'm sure?

Sally
Yeah definitely. Getting down the F3 is ok, but then you either have to drive to Nth Ryde via Beecroft or get onto the Pac Hwy and join the car park Neither of which are great options. Plus of course, he'd have to have parking available, which is a disappearing commodity in the area.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

Trains easy. You're pretty much spot on with your times as well. They get very full though going South in the mornings.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

an hour 15? might be wrong in estimation

put in details here

http://www.131500.com.au/plan-your-t...x=63&y=3#trip5
Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:21 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martin1978
Trains easy. You're pretty much spot on with your times as well. They get very full though going South in the mornings.
I took this route down from Gosford on Friday. It was actually very pleasant - I caught the 07:30 train from Gosford to Wynyard, and it took about an hour and 20 minutes, which was ideal. Made me wonder if a sea change move to the Central Coast could become a reality

As Tr1boy suggested, I would consider taking the Northern line to Chatswood and changing there, rather than changing at Hornsby. The Chatswood - North Ryde line is very quick, and also very regular, whereas the Hornsby change can be problematic.

S