wow 2.7 at last on hifx

Old Jun 17th 2004, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

delboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wow 2.7 at last on hifx

just looked at hifx reached 2.7
Old Jun 17th 2004, 9:55 am
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: wow 2.7 at last on hifx

Originally posted by delboy

Live mid-market rates as of 2004.06.17 21:52:32 GMT.
1.00 GBP

United Kingdom Pounds = 2.70142 AUD
Australia Dollars

1 GBP = 2.70142 AUD 1 AUD = 0.370176 GBP

Save money with XEtrade on-line foreign exchange by XE.com. Click here for guaranteed best rates !

good news isnt it

pity we cant put the depos. down

Old Jun 17th 2004, 11:20 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: wow 2.7 at last on hifx

Originally posted by delboy
This is the bank rate though isn't it. You won't actually get 2.7 unless you do a min of GPB 5 000 000. Check behind your sofa, you never know.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 11:55 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

you wont get exactly 2.7 but make sure you haggle with them. The last amount of currency we exchanged we got 1.25 points less than the interbank rate. Even on their minimum trade of £5000 you will only drop 1.9 -2.0 cents.

In reality if you trade 70 or 80 grand you will get about 2.695
If you trade the min 5 grand you will get 2.68
Old Jun 17th 2004, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

problem is, this is all great for those of you still to come to Aus. For those who have already chaged up at the lower rate (there are some who changed at 2.35/2.4) it sucks.

For those of us who are already in Aus, but still have money to bring over (Sold the house last month), any increase in the exchange rate is dampened by the fact that any difference between what the exchange rate is now and what it was when we entered Australia is tax assesable.

example
£100000 to bring over
Enter Aus in March £1=A$2.4
Change money july £1=A$2.7

You have made 270000-240000=A$30000 gain on your currency.
This A$30000 is tax assessable which could be at 48.5% which means you only make A$15500 (tax bill of $A14500).
This is the way I understand the tax law to be ( as explained by a tax advisor)

So your rate of 2.7 may actually be alot lower.

please tell me I am wrong!

Nick
Old Jun 17th 2004, 2:54 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sharpy67
problem is, this is all great for those of you still to come to Aus. For those who have already chaged up at the lower rate (there are some who changed at 2.35/2.4) it sucks.

For those of us who are already in Aus, but still have money to bring over (Sold the house last month), any increase in the exchange rate is dampened by the fact that any difference between what the exchange rate is now and what it was when we entered Australia is tax assesable.

example
£100000 to bring over

This A$30000 is tax assessable which could be at 48.5% which means you only make A$15500 (tax bill of $A14500).

Nick
I'm no accountant but from what I understand, you're not wrong.

What you can do though is split the 30 grand across you and your partner/wife's tax return and if he/she isn't working you'll pay less tax on half of it.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

swiss tony is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone confirm if this is def right?

Thanks

ST
Old Jun 17th 2004, 5:27 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

example
£100000 to bring over

Nick
How do they know about this though? (just out of interest of course).
Old Jun 17th 2004, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

I take it you are refering to 'THEY' as the tax office.
I suppose they would be interested if a large sum of money appeared in your bank account.
I have read that just because you have filled ina tax return, they don't just accept what you put. They do actually check things like bank accounts etc. After all it will have a TFN against it. I have also read that tax is evaulated against a certain tax year for anything up to 3 years later. So you may have thought you had got away with it until 2 years later a tax bill drops on the door mat.
All depends I suppose on how much you want to gamble.

Another unknown is just how much information sharing goes on between the UK tax office and The Australian one?????

Just my opinion.
Nick
Old Jun 17th 2004, 6:12 pm
I'm lovin' it

In which case you would plead ignorance and pay them what 'they' would have wanted in the first place. Worth a shot I'd say. (unless they want interest on top, but even then....)

Communication between Aus & UK tax boffins....zero I would have thought.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

gazza321 is an unknown quantity at this point

I understood it that you had up to 6 months from landing in oz to move over any finances tax free.

Gazza
Old Jun 17th 2004, 9:35 pm
I'm lovin' it

Originally posted by gazza321
I understood it that you had up to 6 months from landing in oz to move over any finances tax free.

Gazza
Ahh. Now this is interesting. Can anyone confirm this, pleeeease.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by chippy
Ahh. Now this is interesting. Can anyone confirm this, pleeeease.

Yes - that's my understanding.