Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would'nt it be nice!

Would'nt it be nice!

Old May 9th 2004, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

elbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would'nt it be nice!

Hello all. I have the hangover from hell so please bear with me. The reason? Well yesterday at 9.22 am i got a call from George Lombard informing me that our application was successfull! Yeehaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of the rest of yesterday was spent in a fairly drunken/emotional state which i think is understandable!

You can view our timeline at http://www.austimeline.com/austime/a...pp.jsp?id=1320

Our love affair with Australia began when myself and Mrs Elbow spent the year of our lives there in 2000-2001 on a working holiday visa. We lived in Sydney during the olympics, scuba dived in Byron Bay, watched the sunrise over Uluru, spent boxing day at "The G" watching cricket and generally had the times of our lives.

On new years day 2001 we sat beside a river in the snowy mountains and decided that this was the place we wanted to grow old and silly in together! We niavely thought that we would be back in 18 months. Tops!

It soon became clear that this aussie visa malarkey was a wee bit more complicated than we first thought. Oops! The only way we could the points we needed was for me to go back and work in the kitchens. I am a trained chef but had left a few years back as it was way too stressfull. Most head chefs make Alex Ferguson look like the Dalai Lama!

Anyway with a huge amont of fear i went back into my own personal dante's inferno three years ago. During my more depressing days the only things that kept me going were the love of my darling wife and the thought that one day, some day we would get the phone call.

Yesterday at 9.22 am.......................

To quote the great Brian Wilson "maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray it might come true". Well it has and i'm absolutely ecstatic! We even booked our flights yesterday, seven weeks from today were off! A fantastic day was made even better when Liverpool won 3-0. Oh happy day!
Old May 9th 2004, 11:35 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations !!!! the catering industry is horrible I know I worked in it for 3 yrs and swore I would never go back...
Old May 9th 2004, 11:38 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would'nt it be nice!

well done

pretty quick in the end

Why did Gordon Ramsey spring to mind ................
Old May 9th 2004, 11:39 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Brill news. Am delighted for ya cos you sound like you are about to have the time of your lives in Oz

Have to ask though..........did yer get more DIMIA points for being a naked chef?

Phoenixuk2oz

Old May 9th 2004, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations ! mr & mrs elbow !

I cant wait to be in your situation, we have got a long way to go yet !! just spend my whole life daydreaming at the moment !
Hey its sunday go and have a hair of the dog !! i t worked for me last weekend after my birhday celebrations !

enjoy

:PARTY:

Nicky
Old May 9th 2004, 12:13 pm
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done & all the best ......plum
Old May 9th 2004, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Hi Elbow

Well done & congratulations on getting it at last - a great inspirational story - when are you thinking of going for good?

From a very sad Blues fan - your team played our very sad looking team off the park - I was there unfortunately!!!

All the best

pockygoes
Old May 9th 2004, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!!!
Old May 9th 2004, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pockygoes
Hi Elbow

Well done & congratulations on getting it at last - a great inspirational story - when are you thinking of going for good?

From a very sad Blues fan - your team played our very sad looking team off the park - I was there unfortunately!!!

All the best

pockygoes
Our flights are booked for 30th June. Hong Kong for a few days, Perth for a week, Sydney for a week and then down to Melbourne the place we will call home!

I guess we wanted to get across that although we struggled and made huge sacrifices we got through it. Certainly finding this website helped a lot.
Old May 9th 2004, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Brill news. Am delighted for ya cos you sound like you are about to have the time of your lives in Oz

Have to ask though..........did yer get more DIMIA points for being a naked chef?

Phoenixuk2oz
Not advisable. You can get some burns in awkward places if you do the Jamie Oliver impersonation.
Old May 9th 2004, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

moomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura about

nice one! all the best
Old May 9th 2004, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by moomin
nice one! all the best
I should also add that our agent said we could be on TV if we could fly out to Sydney in three weeks! That would pushing things a little too quickly!
Old May 9th 2004, 7:03 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by elbow
I should also add that our agent said we could be on TV if we could fly out to Sydney in three weeks! That would pushing things a little too quickly!
Good reason not to rush it?
Old May 10th 2004, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Today's update. I finally handed in my notice at work.
Old May 10th 2004, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by elbow
Hello all. I have the hangover from hell so please bear with me. The reason? Well yesterday at 9.22 am i got a call from George Lombard informing me that our application was successfull! Yeehaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of the rest of yesterday was spent in a fairly drunken/emotional state which i think is understandable!

You can view our timeline at http://www.austimeline.com/austime/a...pp.jsp?id=1320

Our love affair with Australia began when myself and Mrs Elbow spent the year of our lives there in 2000-2001 on a working holiday visa. We lived in Sydney during the olympics, scuba dived in Byron Bay, watched the sunrise over Uluru, spent boxing day at "The G" watching cricket and generally had the times of our lives.

On new years day 2001 we sat beside a river in the snowy mountains and decided that this was the place we wanted to grow old and silly in together! We niavely thought that we would be back in 18 months. Tops!

It soon became clear that this aussie visa malarkey was a wee bit more complicated than we first thought. Oops! The only way we could the points we needed was for me to go back and work in the kitchens. I am a trained chef but had left a few years back as it was way too stressfull. Most head chefs make Alex Ferguson look like the Dalai Lama!

Anyway with a huge amont of fear i went back into my own personal dante's inferno three years ago. During my more depressing days the only things that kept me going were the love of my darling wife and the thought that one day, some day we would get the phone call.

Yesterday at 9.22 am.......................

To quote the great Brian Wilson "maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray it might come true". Well it has and i'm absolutely ecstatic! We even booked our flights yesterday, seven weeks from today were off! A fantastic day was made even better when Liverpool won 3-0. Oh happy day!
Great News Elbow!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.