Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

would you take the risk?

would you take the risk?

Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all
Question would you take the risk?

we are waiting on the arrival of visa's...
pcc's and meds in at dimia so it seems the wait is an average of 2-6 weeks, making it feb sometime hopefully.
I've seen some good flight deals for easter time ,would you book them?

I know spanners can go into the works sometimes at the last part of the process,we don't expect any as our's is straight-forward,but how common is delays between meds+pcc and visa issue?

Would you take the risk? or would you wait untill you can see the visa's even if it means paying quite a bit more in airfare.?
Opinions appreciated,.
Lynn
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:43 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: would you take the risk?

Originally Posted by lynnbrooks
pcc's and meds in at dimia so it seems the wait is an average of 2-6 weeks, making it feb sometime hopefully.

I know spanners can go into the works sometimes at the last part of the process,we don't expect any as our's is straight-forward,but how common is delays between meds+pcc and visa issue?

Would you take the risk? or would you wait untill you can see the visa's even if it means paying quite a bit more in airfare.?
Opinions appreciated,.
Lynn
I did just that but bewarned that you maynot get the 40kgs if you cant show your visa to the air line on booking
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:44 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Opinions appreciated,.
Lynn
Lynn

We have done a bit of research re: flight costs and it would appear (to me at least) that their is not much difference in prices no matter when you book.

Personally, I would wait til I had the visa. www.ebookers.com is a good site for checking prices.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:47 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Opinions appreciated,.
Lynn
Phew dont know have you got to arrange shippers too? or are you just talking of validating?

we have 6 months left to validate and still no where with the house sale, we also have been looking at cheap flights to validate saw one to perth for £199!!

Hopefully there are always last minute bargains? thought we'd wait 2 months then if still no luck with house get a last minute flight and come back to sort house out.

Good luck with the visa
Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:55 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I wouldn't chance it until I had the visa in my hands. But then that's me. You might work your chances out to be better

My experience of the whole process was that there were too many variables that didn't pan out in the timescales estimated i.e the "spanners in the works" you talk about.

Having said that, if you are 99% certain all will go as planned then go with your gut instinct. But be prepared it might not all go to plan i.e have plan "B"

Good luck with your visa
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all

This is invaluable opinions that i totally appreciate.
We are migrating,not just validating so maybe waiting would be better,i wonder if it could put us under more pressure and more is not recommended.

any more thoughts would be gratefully received
lynn
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:13 am

This is invaluable opinions that i totally appreciate.
We are migrating,not just validating so maybe waiting would be better,i wonder if it could put us under more pressure and more is not recommended.

any more thoughts would be gratefully received
lynn
and are you shipping stuff out? dont know if you've had a quote but we had to wait six weeks for them to come out to see us, though that was in the summer maybe not as busy this time of year??

Not sure when easter is this year but it only gives you a couple of months to sort everything out. Like someone else said make sure you can get your extra baggage if you need it.

I presume you've sold or not got a house to sell?

You have a year to validate depending on when you sent meds pc checks
Old Jan 8th 2006, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of
Talking Re: would you take the risk?

Opinions appreciated,.
Lynn
Hi Lynn we were in the boat as you! We asked this question a few weeks ago! Awaiting visa, meds requested just before Christmas but we went ahead and booked flights for 2nd April anyway! Hopefully we will have our visa by then, just like taking risks me! hehe!!! when are you thinking of going?
joz
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by possoms
and are you shipping stuff out? dont know if you've had a quote but we had to wait six weeks for them to come out to see us, though that was in the summer maybe not as busy this time of year??

Not sure when easter is this year but it only gives you a couple of months to sort everything out. Like someone else said make sure you can get your extra baggage if you need it.

I presume you've sold or not got a house to sell?

You have a year to validate depending on when you sent meds pc checks
WOW! didn't realise shipping co were so busy,i'll get onto that 2moro,cheers for that.
We are thinking will use need a 20ft container.
We are hoping to move in April.
We do have a house in the process of being sold,due to sign in March and hopefully container starts journey to Perth then to get a head start.
Do you reckon that's a good idea?
I guess i'm thinking we'll have less time to wait for it at the other end,any thoughts?
Lynn
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joanneS
Hi Lynn we were in the boat as you! We asked this question a few weeks ago! Awaiting visa, meds requested just before Christmas but we went ahead and booked flights for 2nd April anyway! Hopefully we will have our visa by then, just like taking risks me! hehe!!! when are you thinking of going?
joz

I take it that you have sold house or was that not needed?
Are you heading for the east or west?
It's the west for us.
I nearly booked flights over the weekend but decided to play a bit safer for now,anyway too skint at the mo to pay for the bleedin things!
Lynn
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:21 pm

WOW! didn't realise shipping co were so busy,i'll get onto that 2moro,cheers for that.
We are thinking will use need a 20ft container.
We are hoping to move in April.
We do have a house in the process of being sold,due to sign in March and hopefully container starts journey to Perth then to get a head start.
Do you reckon that's a good idea?
I guess i'm thinking we'll have less time to wait for it at the other end,any thoughts?
Lynn
Yep sounds like a good idea send the stuff when your contract is signed, takes about 3 months for shipment to arrive, so you've got plenty of time to get out there as long as you're in the country when it arrives. You need to give an address at the other end to shippers, but they told us we can use hotel address.

Good luck with everything Lynn