Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you still go on Holiday in Australia?

View Poll Results: Would you still fly to/from/via Australia
Yes
76.92%
No
23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Would you still go on Holiday in Australia?

Old May 27th 2005, 5:06 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would you still go on Holiday in Australia?

Considering the collusion between Australian police, baggage handlers and the mob would you travel to Australia considering the planting of drugs that goes on especially when you consider that you would be travelling via nations with the death penalty for drug smugglers, eg Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei?

I am just interested to compare the results to the Bali poll and make a point that the Balinese were not involved in any planting and that Schappelle Corby type cases could happen in a number of countries. It is also Australians that are to blame not foreigners although some would like to blame outsiders.
Old May 27th 2005, 5:19 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Would you still go on Holiday in Australia?

I would be very wary if my luggage was going to be "looked at" in Bali for example, but not worried if it was a straight through flight.

Also if something was to happen, similar to the Corby scenario, but found here in Australia, the potential penalty would be a lot less.

Old May 27th 2005, 5:23 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bondipom
Considering the collusion between Australian police, baggage handlers and the mob would you travel to Australia considering the planting of drugs that goes on especially when you consider that you would be travelling via nations with the death penalty for drug smugglers, eg Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei?

I am just interested to compare the results to the Bali poll and make a point that the Balinese were not involved in any planting and that Schappelle Corby type cases could happen in a number of countries. It is also Australians that are to blame not foreigners although some would like to blame outsiders.
Not if I can at all avoid it. What's the point - we have phones, videophones, internet, TV, magazines, newspapers, ... And flying is a pain in the posterior.
Old May 27th 2005, 5:23 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Good point. If SC is to be believed then the drugs came from an Aus airport.
You could just as well think this of any international airport though, so unless you are not going to travel at all???
My feelings about Bali in particular are probably irrational, heightened by the media coverage here. Maybe I would not have thought the same if I was still in the Uk and not been exposed to the same stimuli.
Old May 27th 2005, 5:24 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

How can you get an accurate poll , considering people in Aus have no choice to use an Aussie airport to get out of here. And migrants need to travel into an Aus airport to get here. Maybe posting this on the rec part of the forum may get some general opinions on it.

Good point though, if she is innocent and it was planted on here ( which I don't think she is) , I'd be more worried about the Aussie bag handlers myself . Lucky it's drugs and not a liquid bomb or something, if it is true about the amount of corrupt handlers that they are uncovering here - well that is worrying about security at our airports here in Aus.
Old May 27th 2005, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

I keep getting told different things - is it legal or illegal to lock your luggage?
Old May 27th 2005, 5:30 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know that it matters. If they want to search your luggage, they'll break your lock. Happened to my Mum on a flight she took this year.

Originally Posted by Un-Co
I keep getting told different things - is it legal or illegal to lock your luggage?
Old May 27th 2005, 5:30 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I would be very wary if my luggage was going to be "looked at" in Bali for example, but not worried if it was a straight through flight.

Also if something was to happen, similar to the Corby scenario, but found here in Australia, the potential penalty would be a lot less.

I personally think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion, Corby is one person in how many thousands who travel to different countries daily, I have no Idea if she is inocent or guilty, but in saying that I cannot see the logic in taking something that costs more here to Bali where you can get it cheaper???

I was in Bunnings the other day and some bloke was buying near on bomb proof padlocks for his suitcase as he was goin to America on holiday, I told him that you are not allowed to lock cases goin to America and he basically said that the Americans can go shove there rules I am not having drugs planted on me, this then got about 20 people standing round saying that they will never go away as they will end up in prison somewhere. the reality is that they ar a damn site more likely to be killed on a plane crash then have drugs planted on them and we all know the chances of that are slim.

I have no intention of ever going to Bali but my answer to the same question 5 years ago would have been the same, The place has never apealed to me.

I hate flying to the point where I am physically sick and cry for most of the time I am on the plane, I still manage to fly all over the world tho.

Basically what I am trying to say is that there is no point in letting all these things get to us and stopping our lives for them.

Kala
Old May 27th 2005, 5:33 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

don't know , but I always lock my suitcases when flying, so I would think it's probably legal. I've never heard of this rule that is illegal to lock your suitcases and luggage, or been told to take the lock off when handing my luggage over to be put in the hold, mind you most locks can easily be opened without cutting the lock off, so that wouldn't stop any planting of goods in peoples luggage
Old May 27th 2005, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough

I don't think its illegal. You just risk damage to the case if it needs to be opened. Besides, whilst it may stop the average petty thief its not going to someone more determined.
Old May 27th 2005, 5:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Don't know that it matters. If they want to search your luggage, they'll break your lock. Happened to my Mum on a flight she took this year.
If you do lock your bags, and find them open when you collect them, at least you have the chance to report it to Customs or someone, and avoid the risk, IF something has been planted.

Remember, when you check in you do get asked if you have packed the bags yourself for a reason. If something is found there later, you have already CONFIRMED to them that YOU put it there !!

I'd lock it, and take the chance of having the lock broken if they need to. But then report it, if it was damaged, before going through customs

Old May 27th 2005, 5:46 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Remember, when you check in you do get asked if you have packed the bags yourself for a reason. If something is found there later, you have already CONFIRMED to them that YOU put it there !!
That just reminds me of when we came to Oz.
Of course we packed our own bags we told the check-in girl.
Of course we have nothing to declare we said on arriving in Oz.
Little did I know that the mother-in-law had planted a packet of "Forget-me-not" seeds in one of suitcases.
Old May 27th 2005, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Friends bought over a package for some aquintances of ours. They asked what was in the package (just some blankets and clothes), but never checked. Trusting the aquintance to know what was in the thing they said yes they knew what was in it and yes they packed it, then customs found four packs of bickies in the damn box which had gone old and stale from having been stuffed in there ages ago! I think their faces must have proven their innocence 'cause they were just given a warning after the bickies were confiscated.

Best yet was a friend whose mum packed him jerky when he flew to the UK for a visit. When they found the jerky in his suitcase & wanted to confiscate it he refused, sat down on his luggage and ate all 2kg's of it right there and then before passing through customs. He wasn't letting anyone else have the jerky his mum had packed for him
Old May 27th 2005, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Yes - I am coming over in 3 weeks!!!!!
Old May 27th 2005, 8:12 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ceri
How can you get an accurate poll , considering people in Aus have no choice to use an Aussie airport to get out of here. And migrants need to travel into an Aus airport to get here. Maybe posting this on the rec part of the forum may get some general opinions on it.
Forum polling is as scientifically accurate as a Sun phone in poll or a newspaper web poll ie useless.

I personally wouldn't let it stop me travelling but I find it strange that Indonesia is blamed in this case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.