Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you fly to the UK this weekend?

Would you fly to the UK this weekend?

Old Apr 21st 2010, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of
Default Would you fly to the UK this weekend?

We are booked to fly to the Uk on Sunday evening for a 4 week holiday to see family. We are just waiting for the travel agents to confirm that the flight is going as planned.
If we have the option to rebook or even get a refund, is that what you would do?
Are we silly feeling so scared? I have been reading so much online and have information overload and am wondering if we are being too cautious. We are also worried about getting back if this whole thing blows up again.
I just think, why take the risk. I know that a volcano could erupt any time but it just seems that at this particular time, the odds are greater.
Any opinions to get our heads straight will be much appreciated.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:01 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Would you fly to the UK this weekend?

Originally Posted by Brisbane bound
We are booked to fly to the Uk on Sunday evening for a 4 week holiday to see family. We are just waiting for the travel agents to confirm that the flight is going as planned.
If we have the option to rebook or even get a refund, is that what you would do?
Are we silly feeling so scared? I have been reading so much online and have information overload and am wondering if we are being too cautious. We are also worried about getting back if this whole thing blows up again.
I just think, why take the risk. I know that a volcano could erupt any time but it just seems that at this particular time, the odds are greater.
Any opinions to get our heads straight will be much appreciated.
To be honest the flights will be packed now regardless for the next month. If you can delay i would till some normality returns. Really depends on if you NEED to go or not.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:23 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Brisbane bound
Are we silly feeling so scared?
No, you are NOT being silly.
It is a totally natural reaction for most people, to value your life.

The risk is small, but it is nevertheless a slightly higher risk than normal, that a plane could lose an engine due to the ash.
It could also lose all engines, as has happened before, but still land safely.

I personally would not fly at the moment. And I will probably get run down by a bus instead

I have no real answer, but you are NOT being silly to be concerned about it.

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you're being a bit over cautious to be honest.

They wouldn't start flying again unless they were absolutely sure things were back to normal. In reality they could have flown throughout this entire episode with minimal chance of risk, its just that with planes you have to be 100% sure. They couldn't afford to run flights knowing there was even a small chance of something going wrong.

Flying is still the safest way to travel. If your flights are still going ahead on sunday I would definitely go if I were you.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 6:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'd fly. I have friends in the airline business, flight and cabin crew, one is back to work today, the other on Saturday, Heathrow based. They wuldn't be flying if they thought it was unsafe, trust me.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

I'd fly. No way would they put aircraft in the air unless it was safe to do so. Be prepared for a packed flight though. If you are set against it then I reckon (with what has been said in the media) that you are looking for a 6 week wait to rebook. I know Qantas are not taking any bookings until May although that is for new bookings.

You could always phone the airline and ask what your option are.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I would only be put off by possible chaos at the airports, but I would have no problem flying at all.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 7:09 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

They've clearly put $ before safety ... I've get on a boat
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

HMM, tough choice. I think I would be more concerned about the chaos than the actual flight. I assume they would not be allowing planes to fly now if it was not safe to do so.

Hope it all works out for you.

Love

Rudi
x
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

My sister is flying out today to Brisbane - will arrive here Saturday morning - I can't wait

Lynn xx
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 1:17 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

If you CAN fly then go for it or you'll face getting bumped for weeks. I should be heading to Heathrow this afternoon to collect my brother and his family. Instead their flight to Seoul has been bumped to next wednesday and they aren't absolutely guaranteed a flight on to London until May 14th!! They can go to Seoul but after that it's pot luck if they can travel on, not very practical with a two year old in tow. I'm gutted...

Unless you're a very nervous flyer I'd say do it, they simply couldn't take the chance if it wasn't safe...

Tx