Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you Do it ?

Would you Do it ?

Old Aug 11th 2007, 9:40 am
Account Closed

p l d k is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Would you Do it ?

Out of interest, who would have come out to Australia knowing what they know now.

If you could turn back the clock and never come here, would you and why?
Old Aug 11th 2007, 9:43 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you Do it ?

Originally Posted by p l d k
Out of interest, who would have come out to Australia knowing what they know now.
me
loving it

working hard and getting on
Old Aug 11th 2007, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Without a doubt, only thing I'd change is that I'd have tried to get here when I was a lot younger.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 9:51 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Without a doubt, only thing I'd change is that I'd have tried to get here when I was a lot younger.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

Jinx
Old Aug 11th 2007, 9:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
Thats true, I seriously started looking at emigrating in the early 90's when in my early 20's, I think it would have been a lot easier to adjust, settle in and feel completely happy.

As a contradiction I dont feel in hindsight that I should have come here in my mid thirties, if I could turn the clock back I dont think I would have emigrated, definitely a long hard slog.
Still, over the worst of it and things in the last 3-6 months have got a lot easier , but there are still days when I feel like chucking the towel in, although I am sure England is certainly not the place I grew up in!
Old Aug 11th 2007, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thats true, I seriously started looking at emigrating in the early 90's when in my early 20's, I think it would have been a lot easier to adjust, settle in and feel completely happy.

As a contradiction I dont feel in hindsight that I should have come here in my mid thirties, if I could turn the clock back I dont think I would have emigrated, definitely a long hard slog.
Still, over the worst of it and things in the last 3-6 months have got a lot easier , but there are still days when I feel like chucking the towel in, although I am sure England is certainly not the place I grew up in!

It's not that I have found it difficult to adjust, in fact I've (and indeed the rest of my lot) have found it really easy. I just wish I'd have been able to experience what it was like when I was young free and single

I do wish that we'd have been able to come across maybe 5 years ago, then my 19 year old would have had to come too. As it is he's got his own life, his Uni degree and his friends - all of which made him stay behind. That's is the only regret I have.

But he's not going to be at Uni forever, and has said he'll come over when he's finished, even if it's just for a year.
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

life is too short - I try to view decisions were made for various reasons leading up until that point. (with Oz, if friends had not suggest I come & visit them, if I was not contracting I could not have gone, if I had had children by then, if .... then we would not have made the move)

If we viewed the decision to move here as a bad one, we would be on our way back (or maybe another part of Oz). Instead we are loooking to buy our little bit of Oz. Yes there have been plenty of times I have been down and many times in a worse state, which I put down to various situations but I don't blame Australia for them (ie most of the feelings I would have felt where ever we were)
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

If you could turn back the clock and never come here, would you and why?
If I'd come out to Australia knowing what I know now, I'd have done it years ago.

If I could turn the clock back...I'd ban that clock.

Never look back, only enjoy the present and look forward.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 10:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
It's not that I have found it difficult to adjust, in fact I've (and indeed the rest of my lot) have found it really easy. I just wish I'd have been able to experience what it was like when I was young free and single

I do wish that we'd have been able to come across maybe 5 years ago, then my 19 year old would have had to come too. As it is he's got his own life, his Uni degree and his friends - all of which made him stay behind. That's is the only regret I have.

But he's not going to be at Uni forever, and has said he'll come over when he's finished, even if it's just for a year.
From my own personal experience, I have found the Work culture the hardest thing to adapt to. Outside of work I feel at home and I am happy.

I think I just find that there are not the same characters and there is a bit of a mentality of toss it off all day doing hardly anything, then stay late to impress the boss.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

From my own personal experience, I have found the Work culture the hardest thing to adapt to. Outside of work I feel at home and I am happy.

I think I just find that there are not the same characters and there is a bit of a mentality of toss it off all day doing hardly anything, then stay late to impress the boss.
Sounds like you're in the wrong job / trade...
Old Aug 11th 2007, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't work just now, but when I get a job I'll let you know what I think

I know my OH said the job he's got is really easy compared to what he did before. Even though it's really the same job.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 10:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Sounds like you're in the wrong job / trade...
I must admit I was self employed in the UK, maybe working for anyone again either here or UK was always going to be difficult?
Old Aug 11th 2007, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

It was so easy to emigrate when I did in 1972 I loved it from the beginning and still do. I appreciate it all the more too as I have been back 'home' quite a few times and couldn't believe how my 'hometown' has changed
Still like to see my friends and rellies though
Old Aug 11th 2007, 10:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I would have done everything exactly the same. I have no way of knowing if, had we moved out 10 years ago or 20 years ago, if we would have loved it all as much as now. The girls grew up in my home town, knew their relations, were very happy, as we all were and we are now living here as happy as pigs in shit. Had we moved out earlier they wouldn't have known their relations and would have had to take my word for the fact that they are probably better relations because they are 12,000 miles away (not all of them, but some anyway)

Never look back. Life is for living and for making mistakes. Without doing that you will never get the life you want. Yesterday is history, today is now and tomorrow doesn't exist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.