Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wottalotta Visas!

Wottalotta Visas!

Old Apr 15th 2011, 3:57 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wottalotta Visas!

When we decided to emigrate in 1982 the process went something like this:

"We'd like to emigrate to Australia"

"Certainly sir, what is your profession?"

"I'm a mechanical Engineer"

"We need lots of those. Have you got TB?"

"No, here's my chest x-ray"

"Thank you sir. I'll just stamp this PR visa in your passport. Have a nice flight."

Maybe it wasn't quite that simple, and it took a few months to get it all sorted, but basically that was it. Came over, and 3 years later took out citizenship.

I keep reading on this forum about 457's and other fancy numbers without understanding any of it, so remembering that 'Google is your friend' I did a search on Australian visas. It appears that there are 72 different types, of which 45 are for permanent stays of one sort or another! Has migration really become that complicated in the last 30 years?

Are there any other old wrinklies out there who find it all too confusing?

Also I notice that the 457 is a temporary visa with a maximum of 4 years stay. How easy is it to convert that to PR before the visa period expires?

Last edited by KJCherokee; Apr 15th 2011 at 4:04 am. Reason: Thought of something else!
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:08 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Wottalotta Visas!

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
When we decided to emigrate in 1982 the process went something like this:

"We'd like to emigrate to Australia"

"Certainly sir, what is your profession?"

"I'm a mechanical Engineer"

"We need lots of those. Have you got TB?"

"No, here's my chest x-ray"

"Thank you sir. I'll just stamp this PR visa in your passport. Have a nice flight."

Maybe it wasn't quite that simple, and it took a few months to get it all sorted, but basically that was it. Came over, and 3 years later took out citizenship.

I keep reading on this forum about 457's and other fancy numbers without understanding any of it, so remembering that 'Google is your friend' I did a search on Australian visas. It appears that there are 72 different types, of which 45 are for permanent stays of one sort or another! Has migration really become that complicated in the last 30 years?

Are there any other old wrinklies out there who find it all too confusing?

Also I notice that the 457 is a temporary visa with a maximum of 4 years stay. How easy is it to convert that to PR before the visa period expires?
Oh boy if you think that lot is confusing, how about the visas we came on -

- TR444 - a temporary visa that allows you to live in Australia permanently
- TR461 - a temporary visa that can be renewed indefinitely subject to you still qualifying for it on renewal.

BB
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:27 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wottalotta Visas!

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Oh boy if you think that lot is confusing, how about the visas we came on -

- TR444 - a temporary visa that allows you to live in Australia permanently
- TR461 - a temporary visa that can be renewed indefinitely subject to you still qualifying for it on renewal.

BB
That's cheating - everyone knows that New Zealand is a suburb of Melbourne!

Last edited by KJCherokee; Apr 15th 2011 at 4:28 am. Reason: Wrong city!