Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it worthwhile moving to Perth??

Is it worthwhile moving to Perth??

Old Dec 14th 2012, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worthwhile moving to Perth??

Originally Posted by eddie007
Jeez, I'm going to start sounding like a fully paid up member of the Grayling Appreciation society... But he's right...
I have mine on Direct Debit..
Old Dec 16th 2012, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mickey-T
I'll say it again, compared to a lot of OZ, perth's weather cannot be bought. Our summers are fantastic. It can get very hot, but personally, i like hot. it is also normally a dry heat. 40 degrees in Perth is bearable....honestly. 28 degrees in Brisbane is horrible....honestly.

Don't get me wrong, I love Brisbane, we visit regularly as we have many friends there, but after living in WA, I could never live permanently in Brizzy. We were there last january for 14 nights and we had 1 dry day!!! We were so glad to get back home to Perth.

Good luck
Of course weather is subjective and I'm not arguing with your opinion but here is mine. 28 degrees in Brisbane is often fantastic. If it is a really high humidity day it can spoil it. But there are plenty of days when it isn't like that. We had a perth style, dry heat high temp day recently and it was head in the oven stuff and far worse than a normal 28c day here. Also on average, Brisbane has less rainy days than Perth (Source: BOM) and Brisbane has a far better winter than Perth. Brisbane is sunny, dry and 20c+ in winter while Perth is far wetter, colder and miserable in comparison. So in my opinion the decision is far closer.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Of course weather is subjective and I'm not arguing with your opinion but here is mine. 28 degrees in Brisbane is often fantastic. If it is a really high humidity day it can spoil it. But there are plenty of days when it isn't like that. We had a perth style, dry heat high temp day recently and it was head in the oven stuff and far worse than a normal 28c day here. Also on average, Brisbane has less rainy days than Perth (Source: BOM) and Brisbane has a far better winter than Perth. Brisbane is sunny, dry and 20c+ in winter while Perth is far wetter, colder and miserable in comparison. So in my opinion the decision is far closer.
I've lived in Brisbane and Perth. I prefer Perth's climate because I just cannot handle humidity, and that's a very personal thing. Most of Perth's rain falls in winter, but it is a relatively short, sharp period, compared to good weather 9 months of the year. However, winter rain tends to mean warmer winter days, compared to clear nights when it gets close to zero. Brisbane can also get very cold winter nights - I nearly froze living in a weatherboard cottage and had to have the heating on overnight. Both cities can have warm winter days. For me it's the humidity question - I find it very draining, I sweat buckets and things like getting washing dry and mould-free can be an issue.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

Mickey-T will become famous soon enough

Agree bizenpces. We lived in Auckland before coming here. Same humidity problem over there. Horrible. You take a pair of leather shoes out of the wardrobe that have been in for a few weeks and they have a green fur coat all over them....YUK.

Perh's weather and excellent infrastructure (excellent for Oz) takes some beating. It's just so easy to live here.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Agree bizenpces. We lived in Auckland before coming here. Same humidity problem over there. Horrible. You take a pair of leather shoes out of the wardrobe that have been in for a few weeks and they have a green fur coat all over them....YUK.

Perh's weather and excellent infrastructure (excellent for Oz) takes some beating. It's just so easy to live here.
I get stuff out of my fridge and it's green...
Old Dec 17th 2012, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bitzenpces
I've lived in Brisbane and Perth. I prefer Perth's climate because I just cannot handle humidity, and that's a very personal thing. Most of Perth's rain falls in winter, but it is a relatively short, sharp period, compared to good weather 9 months of the year. However, winter rain tends to mean warmer winter days, compared to clear nights when it gets close to zero. Brisbane can also get very cold winter nights - I nearly froze living in a weatherboard cottage and had to have the heating on overnight. Both cities can have warm winter days. For me it's the humidity question - I find it very draining, I sweat buckets and things like getting washing dry and mould-free can be an issue.
Fair enough, like you say it is a very personal thing. I don't like humid or very dry hot days so the highlight for me is the autumn, winter and spring. I wouldn't be happy to put a cold wet 3 months in the middle of that so I prefer Brisbane's dry, sunny winter. I don't have any mould issues and have barely heard that mentioned as an issue but maybe it depends if you live under lots of trees or something. Weather is very personal and I feel most places have and good and bad so it really is each to their own. Like cities really.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

... excellent infrastructure (excellent for Oz) ...
Good to hear...you don't hear that very often from someone in Perth....I've heard the trains are excellent?
Old Dec 17th 2012, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear...you don't hear that very often from someone in Perth....I've heard the trains are excellent?
If I was catching the train in the morning for work any closer than wellard I'd be well miffed coz no one gets a seat..... Luckily coming in from rockingham I 9/10 get a seat.... And if I don't, probably coz I train in with mainly male tradies, some one usually offers me theirs....
Old Dec 17th 2012, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Also with the trains, if you get a transperth card and set up automatic loading it's quite cheap.... I travel 35 odd KM in For in for $5.20
Old Dec 17th 2012, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by eddie007
Also with the trains, if you get a transperth card and set up automatic loading it's quite cheap.... I travel 35 odd KM in For in for $5.20
Seems too cheap...you being subsidised by the inner city people like here in Brisbane ?

Apparently the bus connections in the outer suburbs are setup really well in Perth to connect with the trains rather than trying to run competing services into the CBD like you find in Brisbane...the council traditionally ran the buses and state govt ran the trains. Bit better with a joint translink now but work to do.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Mickey-T will become famous soon enough

Train system is excellent Fish.

And I do agree that Qld winters can be very very nice indeed. It's the summer humidity and rain that i couldn't cope with. I had 8 years of that in Auckland, and that was more than enough for me in my lifetime...lol.

Other than that Brisbane is a great place..........just not as good as Perth IMHO
Old Dec 17th 2012, 12:54 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Seems too cheap...you being subsidised by the inner city people like here in Brisbane ?

Apparently the bus connections in the outer suburbs are setup really well in Perth to connect with the trains rather than trying to run competing services into the CBD like you find in Brisbane...the council traditionally ran the buses and state govt ran the trains. Bit better with a joint translink now but work to do.
I'm not going to vote for Labor at the next state election (I like what Barnett is doing - especially development of the city) but I am impressed by the rail plan that they have just put out. Connecting lines north and south of the city, train to the airport etc. Where they will get the money to do all of this is another story.......
Old Dec 17th 2012, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Train system is excellent Fish.

And I do agree that Qld winters can be very very nice indeed. It's the summer humidity and rain that i couldn't cope with. I had 8 years of that in Auckland, and that was more than enough for me in my lifetime...lol.

Other than that Brisbane is a great place..........just not as good as Perth IMHO
I don't mind getting our rain in summer rather than winter...keeps the place lush and tropical and warm summer rain tends to fall in quick storms rather than cold winter drizzle. I'm a big fan of the fabulous fauna and flora this sub-tropical environment promotes but that is a personal thing. Good to hear you have found a place that suits you....as you can read on here it is not always an easy thing to do.

Last edited by fish.01; Dec 17th 2012 at 8:23 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind getting our rain in summer rather than winter...keeps the place lush and tropical and warm summer rain tends to fall in quick storms rather than cold winter drizzle. I'm a big fan of the fabulous fauna and flora this sub-tropical environment promotes but that is a personal thing. Good to hear you have found a place that suits you....as you can read on here it is not always an easy thing to do.
The sub-tropical lushness of QLD is far nicer than the desert-type scenery found in vast areas of WA, but the whole SW corner of WA, including Perth, is great for greenery and the arid areas are not without their beauty.

Perth rain can be amazingly heavy, too much for the heaviest setting on the windscreen wipers, but I don't find it cold when it rains in winter. Most winter days are sunny and warm, but it can be very chilly for a couple of hours after you get up when there are clear nights.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you've already done a lot of research for Perth, have friends/family there and can find work, why not give it a shot (and no, I don't mean just throw it to the wind and off you go! obviously a lot of research, planning and thought put into the process). There's no getting around it, it's a HUGE decision.

However, if you're wanting to head to Oz and can find work and have ready made friends, then why not aim for Perth and see how you go. Stay a year or 18 months and see how you feel. You may want to explore other States once you're there for a holiday/view to move; you may wish to go back to UK; or you may wish to stay put in WA.

As you mentioned as you've done a lot of research already and have a few things in place also, then I say go for it. Have you sorted visas yet? Not sure which visa you're going for but bear in mind it can take years and there's never a iron cast guarantee!

Best thing you can do is read\ask questions on here but remember, that everyone has, sometimes wildly, different opinions on the topic of Australia and all that exists within, so be prepared to hear the good, bad and ugly. Some things take with a pinch of salt, and some advice will be absolutely priceless.

Just do what is right for you and your family. It's your adventure! Be really honest with yourself and your partner and think about what you really want. What you're looking for. Be realistic as much as you can, expect the unexpected and just take it for granted you'll most likely feel very homesick and have moments of whatthehellarewedoing !! It's a rollercoaster ride moving countries and if you know there will be ups, downs and holyhell sideway moves then you'll be fine :-)

Best of luck to you and your family.

Last edited by Still Game; Dec 29th 2012 at 1:48 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.