Is it worth the grief??

Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Andy Pandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it worth the grief??

Originally posted by J+J
Well Hi there everyone

This is my first login and my first post :scared:
What I want to know is, is it worth all the hassle when you finally get there. We're a couple in early thirties with two kids giving the idea some consideration. We plan to holiday over in OZ and NZ for three weeks in March next year to "get a feel for it" but I think we'll probably struggle to remain objective and just be wowed by it all. If anyone who's done the move can give us the low down on if it was worth it in their case (pro's and cons) then we'd appreciate the insight
What's it like trying to find work, good schools, housing new friends, drinking buddies etc
There's no substitute for experence and at the minute we don't have any

Thanx

J+J
Old Oct 31st 2003, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Re: Is it worth the grief??

Originally posted by J+J
Well Hi there everyone

This is my first login and my first post :scared:
What I want to know is, is it worth all the hassle when you finally get there. We're a couple in early thirties with two kids giving the idea some consideration. We plan to holiday over in OZ and NZ for three weeks in March next year to "get a feel for it" but I think we'll probably struggle to remain objective and just be wowed by it all. If anyone who's done the move can give us the low down on if it was worth it in their case (pro's and cons) then we'd appreciate the insight
What's it like trying to find work, good schools, housing new friends, drinking buddies etc
There's no substitute for experence and at the minute we don't have any

Thanx

J+J
Hi J+J
We left the UK 6 years ago to live in Menorca,Spain. We didn't leave the UK because we didn't like it... we love England but just didnt want to live there anymore. I am 43 with 4 children under 11 years old and it's been a great life here for them. It has given them another language and we have fitted into the way of life here, the spanish school system etc. Having lived in USA , UK and Spain we are now moving to Australia in January 2004. We have never been before, we just feel the need not to and as a family we are quite positive about it. However, as long as you don't expect too much from Aus then you won't be disappointed !
Good Luck and go for it !!!
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

cityboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Goodpubmisser
I am an Engineer and my Partner is a Nurse. Do yourself a favour don't move out here.

If you do the first few years will be good but then you will regret it. The main reason why I am having second thoughts (I have been here for 13 years) is that working in Engineering in Australia is shit.

The companies here are mainly small (under 30 people) and supply to the local market. The companies tend to be unprofessional and not the type in which you have good career prospects. Coupled with this the Australian Department of Immigration keep letting in more and more Engineers and there is not much work for them. One migrant Engineer in my Company ended up driving a fork lift truck in the Warehouse.

Electronics manufacturing here is a bit of a joke - a few contract manufacturers who pay badly and make you work long hours. Most "computer manufacturers" are actually just assemblers - they import hard drives etc and assemble them into a box. The rest of the "electonic companies" are mainly importers of equipment from abroad who have a warehouse, a sales force and technicians to fix the equipment if it goes wrong.

Melbourne manufacturing relies heavily on the automotive industry. Australia produces cars mainly because there are import tariffs. This fragile state of affairs is under the thumb of the often incompetant government.

I work for one of the few (total of around 7) large biomedical equipment companies - believe me I wish that I could just stick one finger up at them and leave. They are disorganised and very political - this is true for Australian companies as a whole if they are larger than 60 people.

How is Engineering in England these days? The pay seems to have trippled in the last 13 years.
What part of Aus are we talking about here ??????????
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

stotty is on a distinguished road

OK, I know I'm risking an attack from certain quarters for being negative (realistic?) but here goes anyway! After visiting twice (last time to validate visa) I've gone from "Wow, best place on earth, definitely want to live here!" to "Hmm, not too sure now!"

Main reason for change of heart: now that the "wow!" factor has subsided and I've done a few sums and a lot of research, I don't think that I'd be that much better off in Oz compared to what I have now. I'm not unhappy with my lot here so unless I could get a big change in circumstances (i.e mortgage-free house, or loads more free time) then, for me at the moment, it's not worth the hassle and expense. If I had kids or was an outdoor type or was unhappy with my situation here then it may be a different story. Still, the visa's validated now so I've got another 4 1/2 years to change my mind Oz is a lovely place and I'll definitely go back for holidays, I'm just not too sure about moving there long term at the moment.

I'd definitely recommend at least one visit. Have a look around, think about what you'd gain by emigrating and if you'd gain more than you'd lose by leaving the UK then go for it!
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

Cool

Stotty,
I agree with what you are saying but if you are not sure about moving long term then don't do it. I have the good weather, swimming pool and lifestyle in Spain and I will not be smoke screened by this when I am in Aus. However, I am going for the cinemas, sport, music/rock concerts and shopping and most importantly the same climate, also more opportunities for our children as they grow up. Financially I would be much better off staying in Spain.
I also believe that you have to take a good load of cash with you, but as you will not be taking lots of baggage (kids) with you I think it will be worth the experience.
What have you got to loose ?

Andrew
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 2:24 am
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
I think its just a general sense of adventure and the feeling that there's a lot more to life than the small world I've lived in so far. I'm 34 and live 5 miles from where I was born!!. I like the outdoors, I like to meet new people and I like the prospect of something new and exciting. I don't like the thought of doing what I'm doing now for the next 20 or so years. (Is this just a mid life crisis ) No seriously the prospect of a better standard of living i.e. less time at work and more with the family, more out doors, less rat run and generally more relaxed is what appeals. Is that the case or is it the same just in a different climate??

.......I am in exactly the same boat. 35 two children want something else .
My Wife and I have applied and are in the closing stages.Were hoping to migrate to Brisbane , for the sun.
I went once ten years ago and to be honest I didn't like it that much - WHY GO THEN?? . Well I'm older know so I'll appreciate differant things for one. We both want more out of life, sun outdoor living and just a change from the mortage chasing life we have here. Watched all the programs for Spain and France but they aren't easy to integrate to. Aus is a long way but fulfills a lot of desires. We're very excited by the prospect .
I don't think a holiday will help either way, just make it harder to decide.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:00 am
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

I am an Engineer and my Partner is a Nurse. Do yourself a favour don't move out here.

If you do the first few years will be good but then you will regret it. The main reason why I am having second thoughts (I have been here for 13 years) is that working in Engineering in Australia is shit.

The companies here are mainly small (under 30 people) and supply to the local market. The companies tend to be unprofessional and not the type in which you have good career prospects. Coupled with this the Australian Department of Immigration keep letting in more and more Engineers and there is not much work for them. One migrant Engineer in my Company ended up driving a fork lift truck in the Warehouse.

Electronics manufacturing here is a bit of a joke - a few contract manufacturers who pay badly and make you work long hours. Most "computer manufacturers" are actually just assemblers - they import hard drives etc and assemble them into a box. The rest of the "electonic companies" are mainly importers of equipment from abroad who have a warehouse, a sales force and technicians to fix the equipment if it goes wrong.

Melbourne manufacturing relies heavily on the automotive industry. Australia produces cars mainly because there are import tariffs. This fragile state of affairs is under the thumb of the often incompetant government.

I work for one of the few (total of around 7) large biomedical equipment companies - believe me I wish that I could just stick one finger up at them and leave. They are disorganised and very political - this is true for Australian companies as a whole if they are larger than 60 people.

How is Engineering in England these days? The pay seems to have trippled in the last 13 years.
Most "computer manufacturers" are actually just assemblers - they import hard drives etc and assemble them into a box. The rest of the "electonic companies" are mainly importers of equipment from abroad who have a warehouse, a sales force and technicians to fix the equipment if it goes wrong.

Exactly the same the world over, & especially in the UK
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:25 pm
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by DavidT
Most "computer manufacturers" are actually just assemblers - they import hard drives etc and assemble them into a box. The rest of the "electonic companies" are mainly importers of equipment from abroad who have a warehouse, a sales force and technicians to fix the equipment if it goes wrong.

Exactly the same the world over, & especially in the UK

You might be right about the computer "manufacturers" but not the rest of the electronics industry. In England I have worked for a couple of electronic equipment manufacturers specifically in defence and medical equipment.

It is really a thing of scale. Australia rarely manufacturers elctro/mechanical equipment - the few that do tend to be over dramatised as "Australia's best". I could run through a list of things manufactured in the UK that are not manufactured in Australia but I could not be bothered.

Australia depends mainly on exports of coal, uranium and animal/vegetables (commodities) for it's income. Australia is trying to build up it's manufacturing industry.

The main reason why manufacturing in Australia seems not to do well is the cost of government i.e taxes on profits, payroll taxes, land cost etc etc. Most Australians however will tell you that it is due to high Australian salaries and a low domestic population (Singaporean salaries are actually higher than Australian and they have a lower population so how they work this out I don't know).

Old Nov 4th 2003, 11:43 pm
J+J
Small Member

J+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant future

Thanks for the honest response
I think the situation you describe is exactly the one I'm trying to avoid. My field of engineering is more the system automation (Electrical/PLC/SCADA) I've seen a few job ad's on the net but none of them give any kind of salary. What tends to be the going rate over there ?? (just roughly)
Engineering over here has been through a bad time of late but is now starting to show signs of recovery, wages tend to be dependant on location and exactly what field you're in to.
Are you considering a return then ??
I'm holidaying in March anyway, do you think it would be worth visiting any Engineering companies?? would anyone even want to speak to me ??
I've noticed as a rule of thumb most people with a very positive view of OZ tend to be the ones still in England!!

Cheers

ps I'm out tomorrow night I'll sink a pint for you !!
Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:15 am
Just Joined

kcsb17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dazzac
I'm 34 and live 5 miles from where I was born!!. I like the outdoors, I like to meet new people and I like the prospect of something new and exciting. I don't like the thought of doing what I'm doing now for the next 20 or so years. (Is this just a mid life crisis ) No seriously the prospect of a better standard of living i.e. less time at work and more with the family, more out doors, less rat run and generally more relaxed is what appeals. Is that the case or is it the same just in a different climate??

.......I am in exactly the same boat. 35 two children want something else .
My Wife and I have applied and are in the closing stages.Were hoping to migrate to Brisbane , for the sun.
decide.
God - another indecisive poster ! - I'm also 36 (Hubby 44), 2 kids and stuck in the decision of whether to go or not. After a 49 week wait we finally got the PR visas and will travel out in April to validate. The last year has been spent totally focussed on getting the visas and not on really thinking about the move (I know that must seem odd). Hubby and I also feel we have golden handcuffs (well maybe bronze..) to the UK in that we both have good jobs, live in a nice but modest house, and kids are happy in school. But I also keep feeling "Is this it ??" for the next 20/30years. We don't want to go if it means a move down the ladder, we don't want to struggle when we arrive, but feel the possibility for success and improvement in many areas could be in Oz. Would love to hear from anyone who has taken the plunge and feels same way.

K