British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   is it worth buying new furniture and shipping it or getting when we arrive in Perth? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/worth-buying-new-furniture-shipping-getting-when-we-arrive-perth-786796/)

GunnersCandy Feb 9th 2013 8:25 am

is it worth buying new furniture and shipping it or getting when we arrive in Perth?

Some of our furniture is ready to be replaced for example sofa, dining table etc with everyone saying how expensive things are to buy in Perth, do you think it's worth buying new here as you can get great deals on furniture over here and shipping over or just buy new when we get there?

Thanks

lesleys Feb 9th 2013 9:34 am

Re: is it worth buying new furniture and shipping it or getting when we arrive in Per

IMHO wait until you get here and assess what you really want. Houses have different proportions. Beds and bedding sizes are different. I don't think it's all more expensive than the UK if you look around and use the sales - just never pay full price. You can buy outdoor furniture to use indoors to start then get proper indoor stuff when you know what is available and where to get it.

dave99 Feb 10th 2013 5:39 am

Re: is it worth buying new furniture and shipping it or getting when we arrive in Per

I would say throw it, unless theres anything antique or very expensive.

As for the prices here, its all about what you want really. I bought a sofa a couple of months ago from ikea for $130. Sure its not fantastic but it does the job and with a nice throw and cushions it looks good.
You can spend a fortune on furniture here if you wanted to or you could do it incredibly cheaply from ikea, good sammy, or gumtree.

So really unless you have something truely special, I would recomend giving it away to family

kirstyp Feb 11th 2013 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by GunnersCandy (Post 10534002)
Some of our furniture is ready to be replaced for example sofa, dining table etc with everyone saying how expensive things are to buy in Perth, do you think it's worth buying new here as you can get great deals on furniture over here and shipping over or just buy new when we get there?

Thanks

Hi!
There is definately pro's and con's on either side, check out this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786660 discussing both sides of teh coin.

However, one thing to consider if you're buying new here regarding the implications for duty free import - strictly speaking household goods are allowed duty free entry if they have been owned and used for over 12 months.

GunnersCandy Feb 11th 2013 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by kirstyp (Post 10537668)
Hi!
There is definately pro's and con's on either side, check out this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786660 discussing both sides of teh coin.

However, one thing to consider if you're buying new here regarding the implications for duty free import - strictly speaking household goods are allowed duty free entry if they have been owned and used for over 12 months.

Ok thanks will have a look.

I would take the original packaging off so they wouldn't know how old furniture is but thanks for pointing it out.

GunnersCandy Feb 11th 2013 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by dave99 (Post 10535344)
I would say throw it, unless theres anything antique or very expensive.

As for the prices here, its all about what you want really. I bought a sofa a couple of months ago from ikea for $130. Sure its not fantastic but it does the job and with a nice throw and cushions it looks good.
You can spend a fortune on furniture here if you wanted to or you could do it incredibly cheaply from ikea, good sammy, or gumtree.

So really unless you have something truely special, I would recomend giving it away to family

Ok will definitely want brand new, is there much choice in furniture stores?

carolinephillips Feb 11th 2013 6:24 pm

Be prepared for weird tastes- I like to go to Nick Scali and laugh at the vile lime green/purple furniture!

GunnersCandy Feb 11th 2013 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 10538322)
Be prepared for weird tastes- I like to go to Nick Scali and laugh at the vile lime green/purple furniture!

i guess i should count my self lucky then as they don't have a store in WA

lesleys Feb 12th 2013 9:03 am

Originally Posted by GunnersCandy (Post 10537824)
Ok will definitely want brand new, is there much choice in furniture stores?

Let Google be your friend.
Most major chains are in Perth. They each have their own character and price range. Apart from IKEA don't pay the full price. Either wait for sales or be prepared to bargain. Discount for cash, discount for buying more than one item, discount for floor stock or anything else you can think of. We're old enough to ask for seniors' discount and it usually means 10-12% off. Same with large electrical items. And then there is price matching - do your homework and know competitor's prices.

brits1 Feb 12th 2013 9:45 am

Thanks

If it were me and I was taking a container anyway then I would buy in the UK, we found there is more choice, better quality and a better price then we could buy in Perth. If you need new beds though I would buy them in Aus just for the convenience etc. Good luck with the move.

Alfresco Feb 12th 2013 9:56 am

Thanks

Weigh up the cost of shipping (and keeping the old stuff) as apposed to buying new stuff that will probably fit in better in your new accommodation.

I personally (unless shipping everything) would ditch or sell it there and buy new over here. :)

carolinephillips Feb 12th 2013 7:47 pm

Mattresses are horrendously expensive out here - I brought our beds with us, and got extra sheets. The sizes here are different- a Queen bed here is a king size in the UK, and a king here means the bed is so wide you can't touch your partner! Also bring white goods - if yours are nearly new. Ditch them if they are over 5 years old.

If your sofa is old, then get rid of it, but don't buy a new one in the UK. Our furniture filled the rooms in the UK, but here, it looks far too small. However it is Multiyork and Ducal- too good to discard, and we don't have the cash to replace it.

GunnersCandy Feb 12th 2013 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by lesleys (Post 10539596)
Let Google be your friend.
Most major chains are in Perth. They each have their own character and price range. Apart from IKEA don't pay the full price. Either wait for sales or be prepared to bargain. Discount for cash, discount for buying more than one item, discount for floor stock or anything else you can think of. We're old enough to ask for seniors' discount and it usually means 10-12% off. Same with large electrical items. And then there is price matching - do your homework and know competitor's prices.

ok so pretty much the same as over here with regards to shopping around and internet etc good to know that you can haggle! I'm very good at that lol

GunnersCandy Feb 12th 2013 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 10539670)
If it were me and I was taking a container anyway then I would buy in the UK, we found there is more choice, better quality and a better price then we could buy in Perth. If you need new beds though I would buy them in Aus just for the convenience etc. Good luck with the move.

That's what I was thinking,you can get really nice and very good quality sofas these days for a good price in the UK.

GunnersCandy Feb 12th 2013 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 10539686)
Weigh up the cost of shipping (and keeping the old stuff) as apposed to buying new stuff that will probably fit in better in your new accommodation.

I personally (unless shipping everything) would ditch or sell it there and buy new over here. :)

Yes good idea I'm going to see what we are definitely taking then see if a container is required and if so how much space we would have left.
I definitely don't fancy the idea of sharing a container.

Pollyana Feb 12th 2013 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by GunnersCandy (Post 10540873)
Yes good idea I'm going to see what we are definitely taking then see if a container is required and if so how much space we would have left.
I definitely don't fancy the idea of sharing a container.

Don't see why, many of us have done it, cheaper than having a container to yourself that isn't full, and your stuff is quite safe, companies are well used to deal with shared containers.
Whats your particular concern with it?

GunnersCandy Feb 12th 2013 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 10540794)
Mattresses are horrendously expensive out here - I brought our beds with us, and got extra sheets. The sizes here are different- a Queen bed here is a king size in the UK, and a king here means the bed is so wide you can't touch your partner! Also bring white goods - if yours are nearly new. Ditch them if they are over 5 years old.

If your sofa is old, then get rid of it, but don't buy a new one in the UK. Our furniture filled the rooms in the UK, but here, it looks far too small. However it is Multiyork and Ducal- too good to discard, and we don't have the cash to replace it.

I take it they are more like the American sizes then. I love the massive beds they have, perfect for when my kids jump in with us in the morning lol

White goods? does that mean appliances?

Yes I see where your coming from with sofa, I guess it's because of the open plan living?! I have always wanted a massive corner sofa but don't have a room big enough here.
Are they really expensive in Oz?

carolinephillips Feb 12th 2013 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by GunnersCandy (Post 10540893)
I take it they are more like the American sizes then. I love the massive beds they have, perfect for when my kids jump in with us in the morning lol

White goods? does that mean appliances?

Yes I see where your coming from with sofa, I guess it's because of the open plan living?! I have always wanted a massive corner sofa but don't have a room big enough here.
Are they really expensive in Oz?

It depends on the quality you want, as it does anywhere, but yes, it is quite pricey unless you go for the dirt cheap stuff that doesn't last. You have to bargain hard and shop in the sales only, unless you have a big budget- especially if you are replacing lots of stuff.

White goods- fridges, freezers, washing machines etc.

lesleys Feb 13th 2013 9:15 am

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 10541132)

White goods- fridges, freezers, washing machines etc.

Don't bring a cooker. They are considered a fixture here so all houses/rentals will have an oven and cook-top. If you decide to buy new stuff to bring just check the guarantee - it probably won't cover Australia. Have a look here for some idea of prices http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/

If you have any 3kW items (kettle, heater etc) take note that they can overload Aussie 10 amp mains (13 amps in UK).

kips Feb 13th 2013 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 10539670)

Have to agree. The UK wins down on most goods not just furniture. Cheaper, better quality and definitely more choice.

GunnersCandy Feb 13th 2013 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10540879)
Don't see why, many of us have done it, cheaper than having a container to yourself that isn't full, and your stuff is quite safe, companies are well used to deal with shared containers.
Whats your particular concern with it?

Just from reading previous threads, people said they had issues with things been damaged etc

I am such an organised control freak, that i would want a container dropped off to do myself and then they can collect it. Then i only have myself to blame if anything breaks lol

brits1 Feb 13th 2013 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by GunnersCandy (Post 10540864)
That's what I was thinking,you can get really nice and very good quality sofas these days for a good price in the UK.

Perth really does not have the choice that NSW and Victoria have hence the price of these type of items are more expensive, so I would still take or buy here (UK), settee's are really no difference in size and not everyone has huge rooms etc in Aus, anyway you can always fill your room with a coffee table etc if you do buy/rent a large home. Also bedding, I love the choice in the UK and the price for the quality is brilliant, Quilts...I took our UK winter ones and they were fantastic in the Perth winter. All the best

GunnersCandy Feb 13th 2013 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by lesleys (Post 10541887)
Don't bring a cooker. They are considered a fixture here so all houses/rentals will have an oven and cook-top. If you decide to buy new stuff to bring just check the guarantee - it probably won't cover Australia. Have a look here for some idea of prices http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/

If you have any 3kW items (kettle, heater etc) take note that they can overload Aussie 10 amp mains (13 amps in UK).

No all my appliances are integrated so the only thing i have is washer and dryer.

GunnersCandy Feb 13th 2013 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by lesleys (Post 10541887)

Thanks for that will have a look.

Also i noticed when i was last over and bought my sister a new light fitting (that's what she wanted as a thank you gift, plus the fact my Hubby is a spark and could fit it for her lol) i couldn't believe how expensive they were and so little choice.

GunnersCandy Feb 13th 2013 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 10542304)
Perth really does not have the choice that NSW and Victoria have hence the price of these type of items are more expensive, so I would still take or buy here (UK), settee's are really no difference in size and not everyone has huge rooms etc in Aus, anyway you can always fill your room with a coffee table etc if you do buy/rent a large home. Also bedding, I love the choice in the UK and the price for the quality is brilliant, Quilts...I took our UK winter ones and they were fantastic in the Perth winter. All the best

Yes great idea what tog rating? , i do love the stuff from next especially the children bedroom range.

Evelin Feb 14th 2013 5:10 am

remember that bedding sizes are different in OZ compare to UK, EU, USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedding

Furniture, as an example, have a look at freedom furniture online, it gives you an idea what you can get in Perth. My friends and I bought several items.

LeeWillo Feb 14th 2013 5:34 am

I would bring everything you have or can get if I did it all again. The quality is poor unless you pay loads. I found there is no haggling, it seems to be an approcah of 'that's how much it is, take it or leave it'.

Sherlock Holmes Feb 14th 2013 5:58 am

Mattresses are expensive here.

Not sure about different bed sizes. I brought a double and a single. The bases, mattresses and bedding are all interchangeable.

This web site gives all measurements. There maybe a couple of centimetres difference, but that's all.

http://www.the-pillow.com.au/resources/bed_sizes.php

brits1 Feb 14th 2013 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Evelin (Post 10543854)
remember that bedding sizes are different in OZ compare to UK, EU, USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedding

Furniture, as an example, have a look at freedom furniture online, it gives you an idea what you can get in Perth. My friends and I bought several items.

LOL thats why most homes has the same furniture in Perth, it brought to mind of when three couples (friends of ours) were building homes at the same time, all decided to buy new lounge suites, on moving in within 4 weeks of each other all had bought the same suites although one had chosen a different colour. One couple lived North of the River, One South and the other couple in the Hills..

ShoreyM Feb 14th 2013 11:10 am

Not that I'm a trendy interior decorator ar anything but I find the styles here boring and bland. The bedroom furniture is ok and you can get good prices, but for sofa's etc I'd buy and bring them with you. There is nowhere in Perth that sells stylish good quality sofas in my opinion. They all look the same and the styles are what the Uk had 10 years ago. Bring light fittings too. Anything remotely modern costs a fortune. Also, bring vases/mirrors/cushions etc. You can get them here but the choice is limited and everyone has the same. Oh, and wallpaper. Am currently trying to buy some for one feature wall and can't believe the choice and prices.
Other than lack of home style the place is fab and we love it. Good luck. :thumbsup:

ailsacott Feb 14th 2013 11:41 am

Sell it on ebay in the uk, save the money you make from the sale then buy new from ikea when you get there.

Good luck : )

GunnersCandy Feb 14th 2013 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes (Post 10543916)
Mattresses are expensive here.

Not sure about different bed sizes. I brought a double and a single. The bases, mattresses and bedding are all interchangeable.

This web site gives all measurements. There maybe a couple of centimetres difference, but that's all.

http://www.the-pillow.com.au/resources/bed_sizes.php

thanks will take a look

GunnersCandy Feb 14th 2013 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by ShoreyM (Post 10544406)
Not that I'm a trendy interior decorator ar anything but I find the styles here boring and bland. The bedroom furniture is ok and you can get good prices, but for sofa's etc I'd buy and bring them with you. There is nowhere in Perth that sells stylish good quality sofas in my opinion. They all look the same and the styles are what the Uk had 10 years ago. Bring light fittings too. Anything remotely modern costs a fortune. Also, bring vases/mirrors/cushions etc. You can get them here but the choice is limited and everyone has the same. Oh, and wallpaper. Am currently trying to buy some for one feature wall and can't believe the choice and prices.
Other than lack of home style the place is fab and we love it. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I did find lack of choice when I came out to visit but thought it may have just been because we didn't really go looking hard.

I hate bland and love modern furniture and vibrant colors so looks like I will be buying here and bringing over. Thanks

KJCherokee Feb 14th 2013 10:05 pm

I'm obviously old-fashioned because I buy furniture (chairs, sofas, beds, etc) on the basis of how comfortable they are first without wondering if the design is trendy, and I haven't had any problem finding comfortable stuff here in Australia.

We were in Nick Scali at the beginning of Feb (looking for dining chairs) and saw a leather reclining two-seater sofa which was very comfortable. Thought the $2100 price tag was reasonable, then saw it was on sale for $1400 - it's being delivered when we get back from holiday!

Evelin Feb 15th 2013 1:34 am

yes, lighting would be good to bring over.

Of course wallpaper. The choice is extremely limited. We went to one of the very very few wallpaper places in Perth. The shop was awful. They had some catalogues, ridiculous prices and all has to be shipped from UK or EU. Even if you have some rolls left over, you are still better off. The same counts for whatever bits and bobs you need to wallpaper.

pomikev Feb 15th 2013 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Evelin (Post 10546361)

Of course wallpaper. The choice is extremely limited. We went to one of the very very few wallpaper places in Perth. The shop was awful. They had some catalogues, ridiculous prices and all has to be shipped from UK or EU. Even if you have some rolls left over, you are still better off. The same counts for whatever bits and bobs you need to wallpaper.

wallpaper, wow I remember that - just.

Did you here about the gynecologist who wallpapered his hallway through his letterbox ?

Evelin Feb 15th 2013 7:10 am

have a look at the thread of the whirlpool forum "importing Miele from the UK", by today the thread is 79 pages long and gives you an idea what local Brits do to save money on whitegoods, taps, toilets and the likes. It seems some UK online retailer see a marketing opportunity and provide shipment to AU too.

BadgeIsBack Feb 15th 2013 8:13 am

Originally Posted by pomikev (Post 10546544)

Did you here about the gynecologist who wallpapered his hallway through his letterbox ?

No - but anyone can get an extension for their pole.

RedDragon2008 Feb 15th 2013 8:19 am

Originally Posted by pomikev (Post 10546544)

Yes he couldnt quite find the light switch though

lesleys Feb 15th 2013 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Evelin (Post 10546361)

But how on earth would you know what you are going to want? Lighting makes or breaks a room as well s being functional.

Here our rooms are bigger, the ceilings are higher (some over 3m) and we have practically started again in places when converting to LEDs.

Fittings can be expensive but that doesn't mean you can't get cheaper stuff.

For choice http://onlinelighting.com.au