Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it worth building a pool?

Is it worth building a pool?

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 8:52 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is it worth building a pool?

We had every intention of building a pool when we arrived - but then we were thinking of living on the coast.

Is there anyone in the "uplands" who has a pool? I would like to know whether it's a viable proposition in view of the cold winters etc. I guess a salt water one would be better from the freezing point of view?
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 9:13 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it worth building a pool?

Originally Posted by Wol
We had every intention of building a pool when we arrived - but then we were thinking of living on the coast.

Is there anyone in the "uplands" who has a pool? I would like to know whether it's a viable proposition in view of the cold winters etc. I guess a salt water one would be better from the freezing point of view?
We are in the house buying stage but keep being torn between to buy one with pool or without.

As far as the water temp when we stayed at Chillagoe that is hot during day but very cold on a night the man there had rigged up cunning little pool heater by running a system of pipes over a barrel that was heated by fire so he could heat cheap when he needed to, so think answer is yes you could still have pool but may need heater as his cunning invention showed.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 9:45 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, no question about having to heat! But here it regularly freezes during winter; we wouldn't want to use it then but wouldn't want to spend a lot of time protecting everything from the ice.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 9:51 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
Oh, no question about having to heat! But here it regularly freezes during winter; we wouldn't want to use it then but wouldn't want to spend a lot of time protecting everything from the ice.
Ah if you get ice different story I supose.
But they have pools in South of France where we nearlly moved and that gets heavy snow and ice in Winter worse than UK.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 2:55 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

We're pool building, but of course in more sunny Brisbane. However, all year pool use even here is out. So...Solar heating and a pool blanket is the answer. Solar heating in say a 8 x 3 pool can be around $3000 but frankly I dont mind paying that if I can swim much of the year round, rather than looking from afar at the nice pool growing stagnant.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wol

When I lived in Queanbeyan our pool would freeze over a few times (-8ºC)each year but I cant remember it lasting past lunchtime. It would be nice for summer but buyers may not see it as an asset.

WW
Old Feb 4th 2006, 7:56 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
When I lived in Queanbeyan our pool would freeze over a few times (-8ºC)each year but I cant remember it lasting past lunchtime. It would be nice for summer but buyers may not see it as an asset.

WW
What precautions did you have to take to keep it from damage?
Old Feb 4th 2006, 8:58 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Something else worth remembering Rog....

We are looking at a pool and Energex have recommended when we get it built we should have it connected to tariff 33 as opposed to 11.

Tariff 33 = 9 cents per hour for pool pump Vs Tariff 11 which is 16 cents per hr.

Apparently it's best to organise this at installation.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

We signed the contract for a 8m pool today ($24K with landscaping) It's an absolute necessity up here! Just a 6 week wait now!
Old Feb 4th 2006, 9:37 am
‹(•¿•)›

Superstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond reputeSuperstar has a reputation beyond repute

We have a pool in our rented house here in Brisbane and had every intention of building one once we got a place of our own. When we first moved in to the house we used the pool 2-3 times a day, the kids lived in there and life was sweet, after a few weeks we noticed that we only seemed to use it at weekends but thought it was worth it just for that but as time has gone on the kids now jump in once or twice a month and I have not been in there for weeks.
Pools are also VERY expensive to run and service (The chlorine variety) I have spent nearly $600 since Xmas on the essentials to keep the pool usable and not turning green. I am told that saltwater pools are easier on the hip pocket.

We have decided that we will not be building a pool in our new house when we can simply drive a quick spin in any direction and use a public pool for a few bucks, no costs and no cleaning/servicing.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 9:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rabc
We signed the contract for a 8m pool today ($24K with landscaping) It's an absolute necessity up here! Just a 6 week wait now!
Bloody hell Rabc..that's a good price, especially with landscaping

Do you mind me asking......is it 8m x 4 and is it concrete or fibreglass?

We were quoted for an 8m x 4m concrete with grade 1 pebbled concrete $30.000 and that was WITHOUT landscaping!

That was for plain blk/white pebbles [light blue basic look].....one bench.....one light and creepy krawley.

Getting another quote tomos. Last one was having a laugh
Old Feb 4th 2006, 10:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Superstar
We have a pool in our rented house here in Brisbane and had every intention of building one once we got a place of our own. When we first moved in to the house we used the pool 2-3 times a day, the kids lived in there and life was sweet, after a few weeks we noticed that we only seemed to use it at weekends but thought it was worth it just for that but as time has gone on the kids now jump in once or twice a month and I have not been in there for weeks.
Pools are also VERY expensive to run and service (The chlorine variety) I have spent nearly $600 since Xmas on the essentials to keep the pool usable and not turning green. I am told that saltwater pools are easier on the hip pocket.

We have decided that we will not be building a pool in our new house when we can simply drive a quick spin in any direction and use a public pool for a few bucks, no costs and no cleaning/servicing.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
It's funny but we said the same thing. We rented at first and had a house with a pool so we could assess if we'd use it. I found in 6 months I only went in 5 times and hubby slightly more. Son and my parents used it most. But all in all we hardly seemed to use it so we decided we weren't bothered when we bought our house without pool.

Having been here a year though, we miss not having it to dip into when its hot. And this year seems hotter than last. Also, when it's hot at night its nice to get in the pool with a cool drink.....so we've decided maybe we do want one after all

I agree though, in years to come a pool may be seen as a liability, especially if water becomes sparse.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Our house will be about 15 minutes from the beach but we are definitely having a pool as its a great way to relax after work.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 9:02 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Something else worth remembering Rog....

We are looking at a pool and Energex have recommended when we get it built we should have it connected to tariff 33 as opposed to 11.

Tariff 33 = 9 cents per hour for pool pump Vs Tariff 11 which is 16 cents per hr.

Apparently it's best to organise this at installation.
We had a pool in Florida, where everyone heats their pools with heat pumps. I haven't seen much talk about them here: it costs about a third in electricity to direct heating and even less if you drill a short bore and use the heat pump connected to underground water for the heat source.
Old Feb 4th 2006, 9:06 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

A permanent pool in brisbane is that a good idea or not? I always thought there would be no reason why not but im starting to ponder someone please tell me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.