Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The worse the better!!!

Wikiposts

The worse the better!!!

Old Jul 2nd 2003, 9:38 am
Badge

Talking The worse the better!!!

Haven't said anything new for ages so as we're all so negative these days thought I would confound you ALL by saying that:

There are so many negative aspects to Australia that even I as a "positive" can understand - and recognise them - having seen myself firsthand.

And do you know what - I STILL love Australia even for these faults that would send most poms running home!!! It's bloody strange - often the things that people complain about and report here are the very things that appeal to me...

like no decent shops; - brash, insensitive, Aussies; "backwardness".., I even like the "dopey" zany, laid back conversations that "Mr Average Australian" has...that I presume some expats in Aus hate with a vengeance...

for me this is all part of the 'charm'...it makes it a "real" country not a freezed-wrapped, syrofoam, "marks and spencers", predictable "semi-detached", and "easy" UK ...it seems most countries in the world are either too easy - eg. Western Europe - or destitute - most of the rest of the world eg Asia/Africa..

Australia for me is still a halfway house - a cross between an "unsettled" country but still "Western"..and even better - Anglo-Saxon...!! but more Anglo-Saxon...as in the UK we are going so PC - becoming all hippy-dippy and too absorbed with culture and history..

no amount of bad experiences will change this for me! I will just think of those settlers and think - they did it - why can't I?

anyone know what I mean?!

I for one can't wait to get an aussie passport so that I don't have to admit to anyone I am technically British!! When I meet Europeans I will be proud when I tell them I am Australian..to me this says it all. How many nationals can say this about their homelands!!??

cheers

badgers

Old Jul 2nd 2003, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

rday will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The worse the better!!!

agreed

the way i look at it is if an ozzy can live in oz,then i (pommy) being broadminded can live there,knowing that i have to make a few changes (cultural)to my self to fit in,i know there is no paradise on earth,and nowhere could be perfect,
i was born in uk 37 yrs ago,and since leaving school in the thatcher days,i ve seen it going downhill,i ve got lots to moan about. now ,if i went to oz,i will except every thing as it is ,because i am choosing to live there on my own free will ( as apposed to uk as i was born there.)any thing i dont like about oz -i will either except or work around it.
i think people are crazy if they think oz is purely just a warmer version of uk,for petes sake,you cant be any further away from uk than oz.
people,please dont compare it with uk....it is not.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 10:36 am

kevpreece is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by rday
agreed

the way i look at it is if an ozzy can live in oz,then i (pommy) being broadminded can live there,knowing that i have to make a few changes (cultural)to my self to fit in,i know there is no paradise on earth,and nowhere could be perfect,
i was born in uk 37 yrs ago,and since leaving school in the thatcher days,i ve seen it going downhill,i ve got lots to moan about. now ,if i went to oz,i will except every thing as it is ,because i am choosing to live there on my own free will ( as apposed to uk as i was born there.)any thing i dont like about oz -i will either except or work around it.
i think people are crazy if they think oz is purely just a warmer version of uk,for petes sake,you cant be any further away from uk than oz.
people,please dont compare it with uk....it is not.
i agree with you

cheers

kev
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 8:30 pm
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Good postings.

I think if you're going to make it in any new country, you've got to adapt to the culture of the country and stop comparing it to where you've come from. Sadly it seems that the arrogance of the British colonial days is still embedded in a lot of Brits and it is this attitude that these people take with them to their new country, and when things don't go their way, they whinge and complain and never seem to settle. They will always live like Brits and think like Brits.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 8:59 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Houdini
Good postings.

I think if you're going to make it in any new country, you've got to adapt to the culture of the country and stop comparing it to where you've come from. Sadly it seems that the arrogance of the British colonial days is still embedded in a lot of Brits and it is this attitude that these people take with them to their new country, and when things don't go their way, they whinge and complain and never seem to settle. They will always live like Brits and think like Brits.
They think they civilise us
Ah.....
Whenever they advise us
To learn to make the same mistake
That they are making too! .............h!

THEY MAKE QUITE A FEW!
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

for me this is all part of the 'charm'...it makes it a "real" country not a freezed-wrapped, syrofoam, "marks and spencers", predictable "semi-detached", and "easy" UK ...it seems most countries in the world are either too easy - eg. Western Europe - or destitute - most of the rest of the world eg Asia/Africa..

Australia for me is still a halfway house - a cross between an "unsettled" country but still "Western"..and even better - Anglo-Saxon...!! but more Anglo-Saxon...as in the UK we are going so PC - becoming all hippy-dippy and too absorbed with culture and history..
Badger - we all know about your VAST amount of Oz experience and your World Authority status on the subject, but since I am actually living here right now and you are not, allow me to say that I don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Australia is the most rigidly regulated Nanny state I have ever lived in (and I have lived in a number of them - both "settled" and "destitute").

Every aspect of life here is minutely controlled. I've had two speeding fines in 8 months where I never had one in my life before, simply because the place is absolute chokkers with speed cameras; you are forced to vote or pay a fine; the work environment is like kindergarten - every thing you do and say is carefully monitored. Far from being "easy going" Aussies are actually world champion dobbers (tattlers) who are unbelievably
competitve and hell bent on looking for someone to blame for all their mistakes, and the working hours are longer than anyone else in the world.

Also please enlighten us as to why the idea of Australia supposedly being Anglo Saxon is so pleasing to you ?? (Actually after your racist rant about immigrants to the UK I guess it shouldn't surprise me at all).

Sorry to burst your bubble once again, but Australia is one of the most multi-cultural countries on Earth and it's something they are trying to be proud of - hence the newly instituted Diversity day.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 9:14 pm
Not here

Originally posted by Sunlover
Badger - we all know about your VAST amount of Oz experience and your World Authority status on the subject, but since I am actually living here right now and you are not, allow me to say that I don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Australia is the most rigidly regulated Nanny state I have ever lived in (and I have lived in a number of them - both "settled" and "destitute").

Every aspect of life here is minutely controlled. I've had two speeding fines in 8 months where I never had one in my life before, simply because the place is absolute chokkers with speed cameras; you are forced to vote or pay a fine; the work environment is like kindergarten - every thing you do and say is carefully monitored. Far from being "easy going" Aussies are actually world champion dobbers (tattlers) who are unbelievably
competitve and hell bent on looking for someone to blame for all their mistakes, and the working hours are longer than anyone else in the world.

Also please enlighten us as to why the idea of Australia supposedly being Anglo Saxon is so pleasing to you ?? (Actually after your racist rant about immigrants to the UK I guess it shouldn't surprise me at all).

Sorry to burst your bubble once again, but Australia is one of the most multi-cultural countries on Earth and it's something they are trying to be proud of - hence the newly instituted Diversity day.
Some of your points are unsupportable. Do you wish to back them up or just froth at the mouth.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 9:15 pm
Free at last!

Originally posted by Florida_03
They think they civilise us
Ah.....
Whenever they advise us
To learn to make the same mistake
That they are making too! .............h!

THEY MAKE QUITE A FEW!
Oscar Hammerstein? or is that Metallica?
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 9:17 pm
Not here

Oscar Hammerstein? or is that Metallica?
You are right..."The King and I"

Last edited by Florida_03; Jul 3rd 2003 at 1:16 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Some of your points are unsupportable. Do you wish to back them up or just froth at the mouth
Which ones exactly ? I believe I have supported everything I've said.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 9:41 pm
Not here

Originally posted by Sunlover

"the work environment is like kindergarten"...my work environment or just yours?

"everything you do and say is carefully monitored"...everything, everywhere or just you?

"Aussies are actually world champion dobbers"...am I? my wife? my kids? my mates?

"are unbelievably competitve"...am I? my wife? my kids? my mates?

"hell bent on looking for someone to blame""...am I? my wife? my kids? my mates?

"working hours are longer than anyone else in the world"...are you sure?
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 9:58 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Good postings.

I agree you must decide whether to love it or leave it when you live in another country.

But why always slag the Brits off? I have met enough ex-pats in the UK who constantly complain that "we don't do ...... back in ...", including people from the US, Oz, Ghana, Israel, France, UAE, Germany etc, etc. Having lived abroad and discovered how much time it can take to adjust, I have learned to accept that this is human nature, not just a failing of Brits abroad. Cultural diversity is wonderful if you are prepared to take the time to listen and learn from other people. Some things are better in X and some in Y.....
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 10:20 pm
Free at last!

Originally posted by acer rose
I agree you must decide whether to love it or leave it when you live in another country.

But why always slag the Brits off? I have met enough ex-pats in the UK who constantly complain that "we don't do ...... back in ...", including people from the US, Oz, Ghana, Israel, France, UAE, Germany etc, etc. Having lived abroad and discovered how much time it can take to adjust, I have learned to accept that this is human nature, not just a failing of Brits abroad. Cultural diversity is wonderful if you are prepared to take the time to listen and learn from other people. Some things are better in X and some in Y.....

I totally agree with you; however I was only using the Brits as an example as this is how I've seen it from the last 14 years I've lived in the UK. I'm from South Africa and yes it did take me a long time to adapt to life here, but I've met a lot of South Africans living in the UK over the years including friends who've moved over and the majority of them seem to settle quite well in the UK. I don't know what the reason is, maybe they're more adaptable, or maybe because life in SA isn't as peachy anymore, but I get the impression that they realise that they chose to come here and therefore make more of an effort to adapt and many end up staying here. On the other hand, many also decide to leave when things don't go according to expectations, instead of staying and whingeing about it.

This is my experience any way.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 10:56 pm
The Tooth Fairy

Originally posted by badgersmount
not a freezed-wrapped, syrofoam, "marks and spencers", predictable "semi-detached", and "easy" UK ...it seems most countries in the world are either too easy - eg. Western Europe - or destitute - most of the rest of the world eg Asia/Africa..

...as in the UK we are going so PC - becoming all hippy-dippy and too absorbed with culture and history..

so that I don't have to admit to anyone I am technically British!!
Pleased that you are looking forward to becoming an Aussie, I hope the magic lasts for you.

It is not compulsary to belittle Britishness to be an Aussie. The British live in slightly different circumstances so can be expected to be adapted to a greater or lesser degree to those different circumstances.

Seeking insight into which particulars and why, rather than judgement, can be enjoyable in and of itself. You may be well placed to see.

Old Jul 2nd 2003, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount

Australia for me is still a halfway house - a cross between an "unsettled" country but still "Western"..and even better - Anglo-Saxon...!! but more Anglo-Saxon...as in the UK we are going so PC - becoming all hippy-dippy and too absorbed with culture and history

cheers

badgers

If you're escaping the UK to get to a country to be with more "Anglo Saxons", let me remind you there are lots of "foreign Non anglo types" like me here who despise your racist (YES RACIST!) crap. I look forward to being your neighbour soon buddy!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.