Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

worried, excited and worried!

worried, excited and worried!

Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:46 am
Just Joined

che2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really nice
Default worried, excited and worried!

Hi All,

Thought I would finally join the forum and hopefully put my fears at rest.

I was offered (and accepted) a job in Gold Coast city back in February/March and I have spent the last 5 months doing paperwork for the visa (457). It looks like I will get the visa now and I have started the visa application for my partner. (didn't want to start it untill I knew I would get mine)

Up to this point I have been excited and keen for the move. BUT....my partner is 12 weeks pregnant. (not planned but now over the shock of it and over the moon. Found out when she was a month late for her period and wanted to wait untill her 12 weeks scan for it to sink in properly)

This throws my mind into overdrive and now I am worried about the 12 month waiting period for pregnancy for private health cover. ( she is due on the 15th February)

Add this to worrying about finding a place to rent, getting a car and starting a new job in a new country.....I feel like I am going to explode!

I don't want to pass up such a fantastic chance that I have been offered and the company that are sponsoring me have been really patient and kind. I guess I am looking for people who have had a similar experience and would be able to offer some wise words of advice.

Sorry for the essay.

Regards

Che
Old Aug 15th 2011, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: worried, excited and worried!

You don't necessarily need private health insurance cover if you fall under the Reciprocal Health Agreement that Australia has with some countries. Are you currently resident in the UK? If so, you and your partner will be entitled to Medicare under the RHA, which means that your partner could have the baby in the public system at no or very little cost to you both.

I have had 2 children while on a 457 visa, one privately and the other in a public hospital, and to be honest, there was no difference, except to our bank balance I can't comment on public hospitals on the Gold Coast, but the ones I know in Melbourne are all good.

Congratulations by the way! For the pregnancy and the job both! And welcome to BE!
Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

che2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really nice

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
You don't necessarily need private health insurance cover if you fall under the Reciprocal Health Agreement that Australia has with some countries. Are you currently resident in the UK? If so, you and your partner will be entitled to Medicare under the RHA, which means that your partner could have the baby in the public system at no or very little cost to you both.

I have had 2 children while on a 457 visa, one privately and the other in a public hospital, and to be honest, there was no difference, except to our bank balance I can't comment on public hospitals on the Gold Coast, but the ones I know in Melbourne are all good.

Congratulations by the way! For the pregnancy and the job both! And welcome to BE!

Hi Elice,

Yes, I am a UK resident. Thats good news and quite a relief. We are trying to get a load of cash saved up before we come out (if we come out) to help with the house bond and furniture etc. Still hard to do with current bills here in the UK.

Thankyou, although not planned we are quite excited about it all now.

Do you have to register the birth at the UK embassy?
Old Aug 15th 2011, 4:00 pm
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Hi there,

No idea about the Embassy sorry but just wanted to congratulate you on the baby and the job and I can second what Elice has already said on the public hospital front. Just make sure you bring your file with you from the UK (scans, bloods etc) in your hand luggage. And don't forget to factor in the flying restrictions for pregnant women - lots of airlines will allow you to fly up to 32 weeks but some make the cut-off 28 weeks, particularly if the pregnancy is not straight forward. Your doctor/midwife will give you a letter to show the airline in case you get probs at check-in.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by che2318
Hi Elice,

Yes, I am a UK resident. Thats good news and quite a relief. We are trying to get a load of cash saved up before we come out (if we come out) to help with the house bond and furniture etc. Still hard to do with current bills here in the UK.

Thankyou, although not planned we are quite excited about it all now.

It a High Commission, not an Embassy

You say you are a UK resident, but are you a UK citizen? Check out whether your baby will also be a UK citizen if born abroad
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...en_Born_Abroad

if so you will have to lookn into getting the baby a UK passport

http://ukinnewzealand.fco.gov.uk/en/...pply/australia

If not, you'll need to look into what nationality the baby will be (not Australia as you are not permanent residents) and get the appropriate passport
Old Aug 16th 2011, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by che2318
As Polly said above, it will depend on what nationality you and the mother are. If you are both British, the baby will have an Australian birth certificate (not citizenship though) and then you will have to contact the High Commission and apply for a passport. Bear in mind that your child will only be British by descent if born in Australia and so will not be able to automatically pass on their British citizenship to their children.

If you are a different nationality, then you will have to check with your country's consulates to see how to go about registering the birth and obtaining a passport for baby.

You WILL need a passport quite quickly for the baby as they will need to be added on to your 457 visa in order for them to remain in Australia legally. I doubt DIAC have ever deported a newborn but you never know...

Our children had only a French passport until we got our Australian citizenship. We'll be applying for a British passport soon as well. I am French and their father is British so they can have triple citizenship.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Thankyou all. I am hoping we get the visa for my other half (Karen) before the flying restrictions kick in. Fingers crossed.

We are both British citizens. Both born and bred in sunny Devon! oooh aarrr.

Didn't know you had to get a passport for the new born. Would that have to be regularly renewed as the baby grows? i.e every 6 months/12 months.

Karen was a little hesitant about Australia when she found out she was pregnant and upset about being away from family as it will be the longest time she has spent away from them. Her friends spoke to her as well as I and now she is more confident about it. These opportunites don not pop up often and I said that if we don't do it we may regret it but what ever she decides I will do.

It will be hard as we will not know anyone and will have a new born after a short while and not have the help and support of close family. But I guess people have done greater and bolder things than just moving country while pregnant.