Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Worried about school options year

Worried about school options year

Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

hazentim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Worried about school options year

My son turns 15 this October '08 - he is currently in yr 9 (choosing his options and due to start stdudying for GCSE's in yr 10 Sept '08). We are planning to emigrate to Perth in Jan '09, he would start in year 11 Feb '09, when do students start sudying for their GCSE equivalent? it looks as though he will miss a year of study by moving from England and Perth. I'm very confused and concerned, can anyone please help! Thank you.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all
Default Re: Worried about school options year

I would love to know the answer to this question too as were moving to Perth in May 08, my son is in year 10 and is 15 in May, he started his GCSE in Sept last year.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future

I've been looking at schools in Victoria I don't know how different they are to schools in Perth but in Victoria the students work towards their exams in years 11 & 12

This thread that I started recently may help - A few similar questions we're asked by someone with a similar aged child. It seems they can drop back a year if needed also I don't know the details but in Perth a new rule came in saying that students MUST stay on at school until they reach 17

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ictoria+my+son

Last edited by bubblegum_babe; Feb 23rd 2008 at 2:34 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

hazentim is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, great reply and very helpful
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 4:07 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazentim
My son turns 15 this October '08 - he is currently in yr 9 (choosing his options and due to start stdudying for GCSE's in yr 10 Sept '08). We are planning to emigrate to Perth in Jan '09, he would start in year 11 Feb '09, when do students start sudying for their GCSE equivalent? it looks as though he will miss a year of study by moving from England and Perth. I'm very confused and concerned, can anyone please help! Thank you.

I have a 15 year old who has just started year 11 (in Perth). They study for final exams in yrs 11 & 12. Not the same as GCSEs but more of a mixture between a leaving cert and A levels.....they leave school at the end of year 12 (my daughter will be still 16 as her birthday is in December!).
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazentim
Actually if your son is only 15 when you arrive in January 09 then he would actually be starting year 10 next year. Year 11 in 2010. Schools will usually enrol a student with their age peers and general rule of thumb is that you start your final two years when you are 16 or very nearly 16.

There arent GCSE equivalents really, but the last two years of school - years 11 and 12 are a progressive course which leads to a university entrance score. Students can choose from a range of subjects and generally it is more of a continuous assessement process than a make or break exam at the end of it all.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 1:14 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Actually if your son is only 15 when you arrive in January 09 then he would actually be starting year 10 next year. Year 11 in 2010. Schools will usually enrol a student with their age peers and general rule of thumb is that you start your final two years when you are 16 or very nearly 16.

There arent GCSE equivalents really, but the last two years of school - years 11 and 12 are a progressive course which leads to a university entrance score. Students can choose from a range of subjects and generally it is more of a continuous assessement process than a make or break exam at the end of it all.
Not in Perth - in the year they turn 16 they go into year 11 and the year they turn 17 - year 12.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
Not in Perth - in the year they turn 16 they go into year 11 and the year they turn 17 - year 12.
I think the cut off date is 30 June so they have to have turned 16 before 30 June of the year they enter year 11. Turning 16 in October I think would put them in year 10.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Australia
Old Feb 25th 2008, 12:53 am
sme
......in the sand !

Originally Posted by quoll
I think the cut off date is 30 June so they have to have turned 16 before 30 June of the year they enter year 11. Turning 16 in October I think would put them in year 10.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Australia
Not in WA- if they were born before 1997 (I think) it is a different cut of age . It is by calender year. My daughter was born Dec 1992 and has just started year 11 in WA. She is one of the youngest in the year. I am in WA and having children go through the system currently I am sure I am right
The OP says that they are migrating to Perth so I'm sure the WA schooling ages are what they require.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

kmtsst has a brilliant futurekmtsst has a brilliant futurekmtsst has a brilliant futurekmtsst has a brilliant futurekmtsst has a brilliant futurekmtsst has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sme
Not in WA- if they were born before 1997 (I think) it is a different cut of age . It is by calender year. My daughter was born Dec 1992 and has just started year 11 in WA. She is one of the youngest in the year. I am in WA and having children go through the system currently I am sure I am right
The OP says that they are migrating to Perth so I'm sure the WA schooling ages are what they require.

Sme is right for perth it is calender year my son was born in nov 1993 and is in year 10, he is also one of the youngest. Then in 1997 they changed from calender years to the cut off period being 30 th june.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 1:31 am
sme
......in the sand !

Originally Posted by kmtsst
Sme is right for perth it is calender year my son was born in nov 1993 and is in year 10, he is also one of the youngest. Then in 1997 they changed from calender years to the cut off period being 30 th june.
Are you lunching it tomorrow ? I might be a little late - getting my haircut at 11:30.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 1:32 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
Are you lunching it tomorrow ? I might be a little late - getting my haircut at 11:30.
can I come?
Old Feb 25th 2008, 1:37 am
sme
......in the sand !

Originally Posted by northernbird
can I come?
Looking forward to catching up with you Carol ! Are you a free woman now ?
Old Feb 25th 2008, 1:38 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
Looking forward to catching up with you Carol ! Are you a free woman now ?
Yep, see you tomorrow be about 12.15, looking forward to my Magners already

Sorry to OP for thread hijack.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

keenymeeny has a spectacular aura aboutkeenymeeny has a spectacular aura aboutkeenymeeny has a spectacular aura about

We have just moved to Queensland. My daughter is 15 and went into year 10, so she restarted the same year she had in Sept 07 in the UK. However the school operates the grading system used in the US, where the grade you are in is based on ability not just age. There is a 13 years old lad in year 12, about to go to Uni. In her year there are 16 years olds who had to remain because they couldn't make the grade up.
Also-there are less choices of subjects because of the way the curriculum works, she has had to drop a few subjects.
Also-there is a big emphasis on sport, as you would expect from a nation of top sportspersons.
Finally-don't forget you have to pay-there is no free schooling for 'foreigners'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.