Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Worried about effect on daughter!

Worried about effect on daughter!

Old Apr 4th 2004, 10:36 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Worried about effect on daughter!

I'm sure everyone here has been through this worry (well at least those with kids!) but I'm getting really stressed out about it!

I'm really worried about how this move will all effect our 4 year old daughter. It has taken her a long time to settle in nursery here and I worry that taking her to the other side of the world will be too much for her! We're hopefully going to be travelling out on a 457 sponsorship Visa and are planning on looking at it as a 12 month working holiday - if we decide that we like it then we'll apply for residency (the company that will be sponsoring my husband encourage this after 12 months). With the age that she is now it would mean her spending her first year of schooling in an Australian school and then possibly returning to the UK (assuming that we decide not to stay). I just feel that I am being selfish in expecting her to go through this.

I know that there must be some out there who have already experienced this or are about to and I'd love to hear your views!

Thanks very much!
Old Apr 4th 2004, 10:42 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldnt worry about your daughter, at 4 years old she wont be giving a stuff about where she is, as long as she is with the people who love and take care of her!!!!!!

At that age there attention span is so short that I am sure she will settle in just fine.......and if it doesnt work out..............she will settle back into the UK just the same

Loads of love and re-assurance and she will be just fine........probably make her a stronger more independant wee person if anything
Old Apr 4th 2004, 10:43 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Kids are very adaptable. I would worry too much

PS Welcome to the site
Old Apr 4th 2004, 10:48 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by biggy
I wouldnt worry about your daughter, at 4 years old she wont be giving a stuff about where she is, as long as she is with the people who love and take care of her!!!!!!

At that age there attention span is so short that I am sure she will settle in just fine.......and if it doesnt work out..............she will settle back into the UK just the same

Loads of love and re-assurance and she will be just fine........probably make her a stronger more independant wee person if anything

I am sure there are lots of people on here who can give you more direct advise. I myself, when I was younger moved due to my dads job from 'down south' to the NW. When my parents told me, I think I cried, for about ten minutes until the promise of getting to chose how I wanted to decorate my room was made and I was soon over it. (fickle hey)
Didn't take long to get used to a change (obviously easier within the UK) and I am now really glad my parents moved.

Australia is a fantastic country and really geared up for children, I am sure your daughter will settle in brillliantly.

Old Apr 4th 2004, 10:48 pm

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for your replies and thanks for the welcome!!

I keep telling myself that kids are adaptable but god don't they stress you out too!! LOL

I was talking to her about how it would be lovely to live by beaches and she just said 'no thanks mum - this is our home'!!!!

Kids eh!!

Rach
Old Apr 4th 2004, 10:52 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tygwyn
Thanks very much for your replies and thanks for the welcome!!

I keep telling myself that kids are adaptable but god don't they stress you out too!! LOL

I was talking to her about how it would be lovely to live by beaches and she just said 'no thanks mum - this is our home'!!!!

Kids eh!!

Rach
Ask her when you have moved and you will get the same answer
Old Apr 4th 2004, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Also would like to reassure you that your daughter will be fine, my stepdaughter moved to Adelaide when she was 4. She setteld in really easily. The only thing she couldn't grasp was how her Dad was going to visit her, she thought he could still see her at weekends. You're lucky that you are all together so you should be fine.

My step-daughter is now 12 and still happy in Australia.

sandy
Old Apr 4th 2004, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Like the other guys have said, she has you and that's the main thing. A bit of bribery and over doing the kangaroo/ possum/ swimming pool thing will help as kids are very fickle!
Old Apr 4th 2004, 11:16 pm

Thanks Sandy

Yes we are lucky I suppose in the fact that we will all be together. That must have been awful for your step daughter and her dad being separated!! Do they get to see much of each other now?

Rach
Old Apr 5th 2004, 12:33 am
The Outback Beast

fogmeister is an unknown quantity at this point

Go for it, my parents who were from Abergavenny, moved to Sydney in 1965, and I was born there In 68', then they moved back to Cymbran in 1971, when I was 3, Well out of order!!!! funny thing is I dont remember a thing about it, nor will your daughter, its gotta be a better life than in the uk for her, as they say at my work "JUST DO IT", Thats why we're off to Melbourne ASAFP, this country's had it, atb Fogzzzzzz
Old Apr 5th 2004, 12:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by biggy

I'll agree with this, and my daughter was nearly 4 when we came over.
Ask here what she thinks now, and she is totally happy here, but would like to visit UK for a holiday, to see the snow !
I offered her a few days on the Gold Coast for Easter, and she's happy with that instead (so I will be offline for a days soon )

Old Apr 5th 2004, 6:54 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we all have this concern for our children, but many people report that the kids find it easier than us, especially when they're younger.
My daughter is 5, she'd started school in Uk last September and settled well, we've now been here for 6 weeks and shes loving it. She also expressed doubts before arrival and of course misses friends and family, but if I ask her where she'd rather be, its here.
Good luck,
Michaela
Old Apr 5th 2004, 7:01 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I think at 4 years old your daughter will adapt to it very well. At that age it's easy to just slot right in.

our daughter was a bit older than that so thats where the problems start. Some kids love it, some hate it.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

pukka pom will become famous soon enoughpukka pom will become famous soon enough

Hiya - I too have the same concerns, I have 3 children under 5, my eldest daughter is 4 (5 in July), and is very happy in her school reception class, its a fantastic school. We have mentioned Oz to her very carefully and she gets quite upset, I know everyone says how children adapt easily, but it does make me feel guilty. We are applying for a 136 visa, Skilled independent, application going in this week (partner is chippie), just in time by all counts, with the points going up next week.

It can only be for the best, what an experience for them!

Sally
Old Apr 5th 2004, 7:34 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Age 3 I was moved to Egypt, Age 4 to Norway Age 9 back to UK. They are natual times to be changing school anyway and I only remember returning to the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.