Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working in Victoria Part Time - Worried!!!

Working in Victoria Part Time - Worried!!!

Old Jan 17th 2005, 2:37 pm
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

bert-doozer is on a distinguished road
Default Working in Victoria Part Time - Worried!!!

****** Posted on behalf of my wife Lorraine*******

******This post is also on BritVics********

though we would ask the wider audience though.

We are aiming to move to Victoria in early September and have noticed a few comments on the availability of part time work over there (Oz as a whole). As this was the way I was hoping to work when we get there I am a little worried to say the least. I didn't want to move all the way over the Oz and then be working full time, pay someone to look after the kids after school and then hardly see them all week. Can anyone tell me if they have actually managed to find part time work at all, or does anyone have any comments to make about it.
Thanks Lorraine
Old Jan 17th 2005, 8:10 pm
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

Default Re: Working in Victoria Part Time - Worried!!!

bump
stu
Old Jan 17th 2005, 9:09 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

Lorraine,

I wouldn't worry to much about this.There are plenty of options for part time or casual work,depending on the field you work in .Flexibility is the key.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 9:13 pm
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

Originally Posted by melbournehelp
Lorraine,

I wouldn't worry to much about this.There are plenty of options for part time or casual work,depending on the field you work in .Flexibility is the key.
Steve,

Lorraine is office admin / secreterial / purchase ledger / VAT Wages etc, but is prepared to do shop work etc etc,,,,,just to help those few $ come in.

Cheers M8

Stu
Old Jan 17th 2005, 10:33 pm
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

Anyone got any more views on this???

Stu
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:12 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bert-doozer
Anyone got any more views on this???

Stu

hi Stu,

hope so as I am also hoping to work part time when i get there. I want something 20 - 30 hours per week ideally, like a receptionist/secretary, possibly care work in a day centre or residential home for people with learning disabilities or maybe working with animals in a park or kennels, i would love that................

laura
xxxx
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

GCS15 will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't be worried about the lack of part time work. There are plenty of Mc Jobs. The problem is if you WANT full time work with security. Then it becomes tough.

I am glad to hear someone actually wanting to spend time with their kids. I hope it works out for you.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:37 pm
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

Originally Posted by GCS15
I wouldn't be worried about the lack of part time work. There are plenty of Mc Jobs. The problem is if you WANT full time work with security. Then it becomes tough.

I am glad to hear someone actually wanting to spend time with their kids. I hope it works out for you.
Thats why we had the kids, like you say not everyone thinks like that.

Laura when do you fly out?? & who with??

Stu
Old Jan 18th 2005, 1:42 pm

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Thats why we had the kids, like you say not everyone thinks like that.

Laura when do you fly out?? & who with??

Stu
#

hi stu

we are flying out on sunday 30th with malaysia airlines, cant spell it tho

We are having a 2 night stopover in Kuala Lumper and will arrive in Melbourne on 4th Feb, shortly followed by Montu our dog (substitute baby) who is posh and flying with BA on the 8th Feb..........i'm getting so excited now........

how r your plans comming along?

laura
xx
Old Jan 18th 2005, 3:18 pm
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
#

hi stu

we are flying out on sunday 30th with malaysia airlines, cant spell it tho

We are having a 2 night stopover in Kuala Lumper and will arrive in Melbourne on 4th Feb, shortly followed by Montu our dog (substitute baby) who is posh and flying with BA on the 8th Feb..........i'm getting so excited now........

how r your plans comming along?

laura
xx
Laura,

We are just in the waiting game at the mo, we are STNI all the paperwork is in just waiting for the Visa to be granted. I hate it not having any input & just sitting on my hands, we expect a result by end Jan - mid Feb.

We are heading out to Melbourne beginning of Sept, Visa allowing. havent chosen an area as yet but looking at the S/E, just depends where I get a job. initially think we will head for St Kilda for a couple of weeks then find a 6 month rental.

Were are you going to be living?

Stu
Old Jan 18th 2005, 3:47 pm

Laura,

We are just in the waiting game at the mo, we are STNI all the paperwork is in just waiting for the Visa to be granted. I hate it not having any input & just sitting on my hands, we expect a result by end Jan - mid Feb.

We are heading out to Melbourne beginning of Sept, Visa allowing. havent chosen an area as yet but looking at the S/E, just depends where I get a job. initially think we will head for St Kilda for a couple of weeks then find a 6 month rental.

Were are you going to be living?

Stu
not quite sure yet, till we get there and see, but we like the look of Geelong, Seaford, Werribee areas. Wanted to live in Mornington ideally but think it will be too far for JC to commute to work each day. We want to live close to the nice beaches and also be within an hour of the CBD by public transport, so we will have to have a look around.

We are staying for our first 2 weeks at the quest apartments in southbank, then we will take it from there.

Not sure about st Kilda, have you done any research on it?

Thing is my sister who was in Melbourne for 6 months lived there (she is only 24 and was living/working there for 6 months) and she said that it was a bit like blackpool, very touristy, with lots of young uns and backpackers and rife with prossys and graffitti etc...... dont mean to put you off but that was what i have heard. She did say that therer was good nite life and really nice bars and resturants there, but she advised us not to live there. Another thing is she had a 1 bed apartment and was paying $200 per week but if you look at the suburbs, you will see you can get a bigger house for $250 per week with a garden etc......just thinkin it might be better if you have kids???

Anyway, dont mean to put sy Kilda down or anything as i havent been myself, so its just what i have heard, but i will keep you posted on what its like where, when i arrive and i have had a chance to see for myself.

How old are the kids? have you got jobs lined up etc???

laura
x
Old Jan 18th 2005, 3:48 pm

sorry stu,

just relised i read your post wrong, you are only staying in st kilda for 2 weeks, i thought you meant living there oppps sorry!

keep in touch anyway tho!

good luck with the visas, hopefully wont b too long!

laura
x
Old Jan 18th 2005, 5:01 pm
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
sorry stu,

just relised i read your post wrong, you are only staying in st kilda for 2 weeks, i thought you meant living there oppps sorry!

keep in touch anyway tho!

good luck with the visas, hopefully wont b too long!

laura
x
Laura,
Thanks for the info on St Kilda, will do some deep research.

Our girls will be 10 & 6 when we arrive, so a good area/schools is all important.

I am a Satellite / Telecom Communications Engineer, no job as yet, but in my line of work people wont be interest in you if you cant start within a couple of months. Will hit all the agencies about 3 months before we depart & keep my fingers crossed.

Good luck to you & safe journey
Old Jan 18th 2005, 10:56 pm

Laura,
Thanks for the info on St Kilda, will do some deep research.

Our girls will be 10 & 6 when we arrive, so a good area/schools is all important.

I am a Satellite / Telecom Communications Engineer, no job as yet, but in my line of work people wont be interest in you if you cant start within a couple of months. Will hit all the agencies about 3 months before we depart & keep my fingers crossed.

Good luck to you & safe journey

cheers stu, ill keep in touch, and c u soon.......

laura
x
Old Jan 18th 2005, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

The first job I had when I arrived was 9-3 which was perfect for me. I have since moved within the company and work fulltime but I reckon there is a fair amount of p/t work around. The company I work for now is really flexible which also helps,

good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.