Working In Oz

Old Nov 4th 2003, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

KJA6384 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working In Oz

Hi All,
I have been thinking of living in Australia for some time now and I am finally in the position to get things rolling. I have friends in Sydney so that is where I aim to go. I work in a school as an ICT systems engineer, I am currently managing three other people and have managed a few projects in the past, I have 3 years working experiance in the computer industry, I have built up networks, from installing the servers to actually laying the cat5. I have installed telephone systems (again the exchange and cabeling) i have experiance with NT4, 2k, XP, longhorne beta, mac osx and linux.
problem being I don't have anyqualifications past GCSE
so what are my chances of getting work?
Thak you for your time.
Moi
Old Nov 4th 2003, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

pudnut is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi can't answer your question but welcome aboard!!

Hopefully some one know the answer

Good luck

Pudnut...
Old Nov 4th 2003, 2:04 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

If you're applying under skilled independant, your skills need to be vetted by the ACS.

Check www.acs.org.au

They have pages outlining how much experience you have to have. Three years experience may be just enough, but I'm not sure.

Jane
Old Nov 4th 2003, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies,
I have been looking on job sites in Sydney and I may have to get my self through a few corses, It looks like ill have to do the MCSE which will take about 9-12months to compleet, I was hoping to go about May next year.
anyone in Sydey a Network manager who wants an English Engineer
Old Nov 4th 2003, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

sydneybound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by KJA6384
Thanks for the replies,
I have been looking on job sites in Sydney and I may have to get my self through a few corses, It looks like ill have to do the MCSE which will take about 9-12months to compleet, I was hoping to go about May next year.
anyone in Sydey a Network manager who wants an English Engineer
Shhhhhhhhhhh.......

1) Goto www.mcsebraindumps.com
2) Download required Exams
3) Pass Said Exams (shouldn't be too hard !)
3) Get points validated from ACS
4) The rest is history........

You aint seen me.....

R
Old Nov 4th 2003, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

cheers for the link mate much apreciated.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 2:33 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

could be wrong but think the ACS look for 6 years experience without a qual in IT?
Old Nov 4th 2003, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

sydneybound is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by seang
could be wrong but think the ACS look for 6 years experience without a qual in IT?
MCSE's (Microsoft) & PCLP's (Lotus) were considered the equivalent of Degree's when I applied, not sure what the situation is now...

Definately worth looking at the skills in demand list (MODL) from immi.gov and swotting up on an area a bit sharpish in order to get you the additional points over and above the normal Skills Points...

R
Old Nov 4th 2003, 2:56 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

sorry i should have been clearer - i THINK mcse gets you into group B for ACS and that has a requirement for 6 years experience.

sorry if i am adding to confusion but the ACS certainly had me confused
Old Nov 4th 2003, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

I was already confused. Im gonna go home have a beer and do a lot of research about it tonight.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point

worse than that chaps - I know I was forced to pull my application.

IT is no longer a required skill for AUS , so its been devalued.
Deeming dates have been added to the lengths of time required before you are deemed "experienced".
The ACS requires 6 previous experiece to gain 10 points. And a further 3 years to claim the 15 points for "recent" work experience.

Fine if you can make the points up in other ways , bonds etc.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:44 pm
small steps long journey

Originally posted by dazzac
worse than that chaps - I know I was forced to pull my application.

IT is no longer a required skill for AUS , so its been devalued.
Deeming dates have been added to the lengths of time required before you are deemed "experienced".
The ACS requires 6 previous experiece to gain 10 points. And a further 3 years to claim the 15 points for "recent" work experience.

Fine if you can make the points up in other ways , bonds etc.
SNAP- same here.But thanks to some of the people on this forum(they know who they are)I was able to figure out going down the IEAUST route(unbelievable the difference in the requirements-sydney accord etc)

KJA6384-Hope this hasnt totally driven you to drink.Maybe WHV if under 30?Check out the immigration forum as well- there is some really helpful advice there!
Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:37 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi seang,
so what are you going to apply as?

Regards
Markeh
Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:59 pm
small steps long journey

Originally posted by markeh
Hi seang,
so what are you going to apply as?

Regards
Markeh
Hi Markeh

Engineering technologist-everything "ties" in perfectly with current/past jobs etc.The sydney accord -course recognised etc- took one phone call to put my mind at ease re:recognision.

thanks

S.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sydneybound

Definately worth looking at the skills in demand list (MODL) from immi.gov and swotting up on an area a bit sharpish in order to get you the additional points over and above the normal Skills Points...

R
The MODL list changes regularly - IT disciplines that were on there 24 or even 12 months ago are no longer on there. I just think you have to be careful here - if you to swot up on something on the MODL, by the time you've got some experience in the workplace in it, and submitted your migration application, it might have been taken off the MODL list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.