Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

working out cubic feet. Can anyone help?

working out cubic feet. Can anyone help?

Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all
Default working out cubic feet. Can anyone help?

Can anyone please tell me how to work out the cubic foot volume of my shipment please?
My shippers have just left with an estimated 500 cub feet (having quoted us for 650) and the removal guys have suggested we work it out ourselves in case we get over charged. (ie, they might still charge us for the 650 even thought it could be less).
If we have the length, width and depth of boxes, what formula do I use to work out cubic feet? It was such a long time ago that I did this at school!
Any help much appreciated.
Cheers.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working out cubic feet. Can anyone help?

Originally Posted by Robbo2
Can anyone please tell me how to work out the cubic foot volume of my shipment please?
My shippers have just left with an estimated 500 cub feet (having quoted us for 650) and the removal guys have suggested we work it out ourselves in case we get over charged. (ie, they might still charge us for the 650 even thought it could be less).
If we have the length, width and depth of boxes, what formula do I use to work out cubic feet? It was such a long time ago that I did this at school!
Cheers.
length x width x depth of boxes = volume.

12 inches = 1 foot.

Personally I prefer to work it all out in metric and convert.

1 cubic metre = 35.3 cubic feet or there abouts.

Last edited by marco121068; Oct 13th 2005 at 12:40 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 12:35 pm
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

Cheers.
I'm sorry I have no idea... Chopper Boy might - but he's at work at the mo... I'm really just being nosey, which shippers are you using? I'm in Scummer...err I mean Soton too! Are you shipping from Soton?

Sonic x
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by marco121068
length x width x depth of boxes = volume.

12 inches = 1 foot.

Personally I prefer to work it all out in metric and convert.

1 cubic metre = 35.3 cubic feet or there abouts.
I thought that was right, but how do I then convert it in to cubic feet?
The above formula gives me the volume in inches, so how do I convert this to cubic feet please?

ie 22 x 18 x 17 = 6732 inches volume, but what is this in cubic feet please?

It's probably really simple, but I can't fathom it at all?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SonicBird
I'm sorry I have no idea... Chopper Boy might - but he's at work at the mo... I'm really just being nosey, which shippers are you using? I'm in Scummer...err I mean Soton too! Are you shipping from Soton?

Sonic x

Will PM you later as don't want to mention who shippers are on here due to dropping the removal man in it! He might get the sack or something!
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all

Could you please give me some idea who you have used to ship goods and how much is it approx a cubic foot as i am currently looking to see what we could and could not take

many thanks

jon
Old Oct 13th 2005, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that was right, but how do I then convert it in to cubic feet?
The above formula gives me the volume in inches, so how do I convert this to cubic feet please?

ie 22 x 18 x 17 = 6732 inches volume, but what is this in cubic feet please?

It's probably really simple, but I can't fathom it at all?
A cubic foot is 12 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches = 1728 cubic inches.

Divide the number of cubic inches you have by 1728 to come up with the number of cubic feet.

Using your example of 6732 cubic inches it's:
6732 / 1728 which is 3.85 cubic feet.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nickyc
A cubic foot is 12 inches x 12 inches x 12 inches = 1728 cubic inches.

Divide the number of cubic inches you have by 1728 to come up with the number of cubic feet.

Using your example of 6732 cubic inches it's:
6732 / 1728 which is 3.85 cubic feet.
That's it!
Thank you very much.
I can now work it all out.
Cheers!
Old Oct 13th 2005, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jonjon
Could you please give me some idea who you have used to ship goods and how much is it approx a cubic foot as i am currently looking to see what we could and could not take

many thanks

jon

Our quote was £2,700 for 649 cubic feet. Hope this helps.
We had four quotes altogether and they were all around the same price, although the firm we're using seemed much more professional and very slightly cheaper.