Reload this Page >

Working options in Sydney

Working options in Sydney

Old Jan 26th 2024, 4:14 am
Just Joined

AussieScouser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working options in Sydney

Hi guys and gals,
I’m currently in Sydney and looking for any kind of work but I feel it has become impossible to hear anything back from websites like seek and the Facebook groups are full of scams. If anybody knows of any jobs going or can point me in the direction of one that would be greatly appreciated.
For reference I’m a 21 year old male from Liverpool with experience in labour, customer service and bartending.
Many thanks
Old Jan 27th 2024, 3:59 am
Just Joined

DownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnder69 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working options in Sydney

A quick phone call to friends in Sydney with a son in similar employment, brought the suggestions that follow.

Bartending jobs are not in great demand nowadays. Every year gazillions of HS leavers do a fast bartending course and then apply for these jobs, so there is an oversupply of applicants. Locals are preferred. Ditto Melbourne. Maybe opportunities for you up in Queensland as their economy is more tourist-oriented. Assuming you would want to live up there, that is.

Son also said (quite seriously, he insisted) if you are young and good-looking, many 'alternative' bars on Oxford Street will employ you. It seems they pay better than in the 'straighter' venues but for unknown reasons staff come and go quickly. Not sure why son made this comment, but am quoting as told.

Customer service, do you mean call center work? There may be more scope for you in this area. Most is reasonably well paid. According to my source, CC team leaders are ogres trained by Nazi overlords. Most Australian companies have now outsourced their CCs to Asian countries, which may be one reason why most of my friends refuse to call them.

Forget Facebook etc etc. Register with a reputable employment agency (surprise3, they do exist!!) and ask to be referred to employment.

As many here on BE would say, the "very best of British" to you. Enjoy your time Down Under.

Last edited by DownUnder69; Jan 27th 2024 at 4:02 am.
Old Jan 28th 2024, 12:14 am
Just Joined

AussieScouser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DownUnder69
A quick phone call to friends in Sydney with a son in similar employment, brought the suggestions that follow.

Bartending jobs are not in great demand nowadays. Every year gazillions of HS leavers do a fast bartending course and then apply for these jobs, so there is an oversupply of applicants. Locals are preferred. Ditto Melbourne. Maybe opportunities for you up in Queensland as their economy is more tourist-oriented. Assuming you would want to live up there, that is.

Son also said (quite seriously, he insisted) if you are young and good-looking, many 'alternative' bars on Oxford Street will employ you. It seems they pay better than in the 'straighter' venues but for unknown reasons staff come and go quickly. Not sure why son made this comment, but am quoting as told.

Customer service, do you mean call center work? There may be more scope for you in this area. Most is reasonably well paid. According to my source, CC team leaders are ogres trained by Nazi overlords. Most Australian companies have now outsourced their CCs to Asian countries, which may be one reason why most of my friends refuse to call them.

Forget Facebook etc etc. Register with a reputable employment agency (surprise3, they do exist!!) and ask to be referred to employment.

As many here on BE would say, the "very best of British" to you. Enjoy your time Down Under.
Thank you very much for the advice. Had a feeling the bar work would be a long shot due to the fact that most people I’ve met travelling so far are also looking. I’ll look into the agencies.
Old Jan 28th 2024, 3:09 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AussieScouser
Hi guys and gals,
I’m currently in Sydney and looking for any kind of work but I feel it has become impossible to hear anything back from websites like seek and the Facebook groups are full of scams. If anybody knows of any jobs going or can point me in the direction of one that would be greatly appreciated.
For reference I’m a 21 year old male from Liverpool with experience in labour, customer service and bartending.
Many thanks
Are you filtering the jobs you apply for on Seek? Under 'work types' you should only check the casual/temp/vacation jobs. There seems to be some work in bartending, kitchen hands/dishwashing, food trucks, food delivery etc.

If you're open to other cities Melbourne would be worth a try too, it's a lovely place. Keep looking, I'm sure you'll land something. Take care and enjoy yourself!