Working in nz

Old Sep 27th 2003, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Jandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in nz

Can anyone help with this. My husband is a CPN (mental nurse) and on top incremant G grade. We are thinking of moving to nz, lifestyle etc and to semi-retire.

But we are told that nurses over there work 40 hours a week and get three weeks hols. Compared to 37.5 hrs and 5 weeks holiday here we are having second thoughts.

Doing our sums he would be earning less than here and the cost of living seems about the same. Apart from not having a mortgage, what would be the benefits then?

Any comments would be appreciated

Jan
Old Sep 27th 2003, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Re: Working in nz

Originally posted by Jandy
Can anyone help with this. My husband is a CPN (mental nurse) and on top incremant G grade. We are thinking of moving to nz, lifestyle etc and to semi-retire.

But we are told that nurses over there work 40 hours a week and get three weeks hols. Compared to 37.5 hrs and 5 weeks holiday here we are having second thoughts.

Doing our sums he would be earning less than here and the cost of living seems about the same. Apart from not having a mortgage, what would be the benefits then?

Any comments would be appreciated

Jan
Hi Jan

My husband is a kiw mental health nurse currently working in Auckland, but we are moving to Adleaide very soon.

This is only my personal opinion, but, unless you are mortgage free and financially secure before you go, i dont feel it is a good idea.
The working hours are correct in your post, but holidays are a bit better. 4 weeks plus an extra week for 120 back shifts.

The average CPN earns between $45,000 - $47,000 per year.

Within the hospital system you can expect around $60,000 which includes a 35% loading that compensates for what used ot be penal rates.

My husband works in forensics which seems ot be the best deal going at the moment.

Added to all this, staff shortages and not so good working conditions do not make life that easy.

If theres anything else you wish to know i am happy to help...let me know

Nicki
Old Sep 27th 2003, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi Nicki

Thanks for the info, your reply has given us food for thought. The grass may not always be greener!

Jan
Old Sep 27th 2003, 9:50 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

how are you doing your salary/cost of living sums?

simply converting both to pounds won't work....
Old Sep 28th 2003, 8:52 am
Just Joined

We used a nz government site that lists average weekly expenditure. some of this does not apply to use as we do not have children but the domestic fuel, food etc seemed to be about the same when converting.

I know converting doesn't give a true picture but working out on nz dollars what our income would be and using the average spend figures, means we are only better off by the mortgage amount that we pay at the moment.

The longer hours is a big consideration, as what is the point of living in a beautiful country if we do not have the time to see it!
Old Sep 28th 2003, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, I'm a UK trained nurse working in NZ. NZ salaries are lower and the hours/holidays are different, but we manage very well on my salary. Most Brits I work with say the same, we didn't come out here for the money, but the lifestyle. And the lifestyle is all around you. Some hospitals will negociate an extra weeks hols and you can of course take 0.9 positions rather than full time {1.0). We do self rostering, so that helps greatly. Nursing in NZ is quite different, but if I had wanted more of the same I would have just stayed in the UK.

Some things are more expensive "relative" to what I earn, but then thats weighed up against the inexpensive things.

Take care...hope this makes sense, just finished a late shift.

Gill

And yes the grass is greener and lusher and grows twice as quick !!!
Old Sep 28th 2003, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Hi Gill

Thanks for the reply.

Yes we want the lifestlye too and the attraction is that we could buy a place outright and not be saddled with mortgage etc, but the agency my husband is going to meet in a couple of weeks seem to be pushing him towards staff nurse positions.

As he has been a CPN for a number of years, has a BA honours in community mental health and is at present working on the goverments SMI registers in seven GP practices, he would like to keep the level he is at now without seemly taking a backward step.

So the salary consideration is only part of it. I am an accountant and would hope that I would be able to find work too.

Regards

Jan
Old Sep 28th 2003, 6:49 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

well it's true you'll be no better/worse off when it comes to cost of living (and remember this will vary greatly too depending on where you live), so as you say the major consideration is the longer hours and less holidays....

I have a vague recollection that there is a bill in NZ parliament to make 4 weeks holiday the norm - so there may be some improvement in that dept. However that may not go through and I may well just be imagining it! I'm not sure if it's possible in nursing but you could try negotiating an extra weeks holiday instead of that extra bit in salary...

But otherwise, why would a person work longer and have less holidays??

Well for me, it's because I like the outdoors, and although parts of NZ can get as cold and wet(ter) as the UK (and has greater extremes), in general I like the feeling of the sun on my back in winter, heading off into some of the many (relatively) untouched dramatic wilderness areas, or wandering down an isolated beach without an amusement arcade or pier in sight. I like the greeness and beauty of NZ cities, and I love the hills and mountains (compared with the relative flatness of England).

This things are very important to me, but there are other aspects of the mysterious 'lifestyle' word which may or may not be worth the trade off in salary/working hours for you.

NZ's not a paradise - it has social problems like anywhere else - but if you love outdoor activities then you can't beat it.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Hi,
We're nurses over in NZ looking for work. Did have a job in Wellington but didn't like the place. Hopefully get a job in Napier where I have an interview on Thursday.

In my limited knowledge of nursing in NZ.
- You get about one weeks less holiday if you work shifts. I'm going to negotiate less dosh (make up with OT)
- The pay is less. Other than white goods and TVs everything is a bit cheaper. Even more so if you look around. There is a wide collection of shops.
- Housing is cheaper, particularly outside Auckland, Wellington, Nelson.

I was a top I grade and my wife Director of Nursing. Yep we will become staff nurses. However we decided to get off the bus and are not here for the stress. If you're good you will get promoted again. However the pay diferential isn't as great as UK so I wonder if it's woth the effort.

I think unless you made good money on housing in UK your quality of life will not be better. NZ is certainly poorer than UK and you need the step up. However if you have that advantage I am sure that it'll be great.

Why are you going thru an agency. They'll be directed you to hospitals that have recruitment problems (in those expensive cities). Get on the phone, the Kiwis appreciate the direct approach.

Also make sure you visit before you take the jump.

Roger
(currently in Rotorua)
Old Sep 29th 2003, 4:04 pm
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wellington

Originally posted by Roger
Hi,
We're nurses over in NZ looking for work. Did have a job in Wellington but didn't like the place. Hopefully get a job in Napier where I have an interview on Thursday......
Roger
(currently in Rotorua)
Hi Roger, just wondered why you didn't like Wellington. I am fairly close to securing a job offer there, baring a late ball up by me. I never made it to Wellington when I was in NZ and though was not my no. 1 choice, have read some quite positive things since. I always had the intention to visit before formal accepatnce. Hopefully this will happen sometime next month. Any job offer is likely to take me to either Wellington or Christchurch. Havent been to Chch either but sounds really good so will be checking there at the same time, just in case.

Rob
Old Sep 29th 2003, 4:08 pm
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

Default Re: Wellington

Originally posted by robernelli
Hi Roger, just wondered why you didn't like Wellington. I am fairly close to securing a job offer there, baring a late ball up by me. I never made it to Wellington when I was in NZ and though was not my no. 1 choice, have read some quite positive things since. I always had the intention to visit before formal accepatnce. Hopefully this will happen sometime next month. Any job offer is likely to take me to either Wellington or Christchurch. Havent been to Chch either but sounds really good so will be checking there at the same time, just in case.

Rob
...unless of course you were just referring to the hospital....
Old Sep 30th 2003, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Never got as far as the hospital. It wasn't as compact as I imagined. Lots of suburbs interlinking. Lots of traffic. Everyone seemed to be living on top of each other. (call me sad) no real places for the dog to run free. If you're into city life it may suit, though I think Christchurch is heeps better, or even one of the far out Auckland suburbs (Titirangi).
Roger
Old Sep 30th 2003, 8:42 am
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

Never got as far as the hospital. It wasn't as compact as I imagined. Lots of suburbs interlinking. Lots of traffic. Everyone seemed to be living on top of each other. (call me sad) no real places for the dog to run free. If you're into city life it may suit, though I think Christchurch is heeps better, or even one of the far out Auckland suburbs (Titirangi).
Roger
I am sure the far out Wellington suburbs, partularly the bays would have plenty to offer. I am accustomed to city life but I do like a retreat out in the sticks...best of both worlds I think.

Rob
Old Sep 30th 2003, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Roger

Sorry to hear Wellington didn't work for you Roger! Glad to see you back online by the way- been wondering how things have been going for you! Anyway hope the oppertunity works out in Napier and that you get settled somewhere soon!

Please keep in touch when you can - will be interested to hear how things go and especially your thoughts when you get started in a hospital! Did you have any problems getting out of the Wellington job? Did they understand that it wasn't what you wanted in terms of where to live?

Take care and all the best for Thursday!!
Old Oct 1st 2003, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

I moved over with the wife and children to Christchurch about 6 months ago (as I said in another post). I had never been to NZ before but worst case scenario, you just go back home. Nothing ventured...

Don't go to NZ if you want to make money. There are far better places in the world. Go to NZ for the lifestyle. I earned 4 times the amount I do in NZ in London but I had invested wisely and wanted a change.

I now live in a large house overlooking the sea with deserted beaches near by. Skying an hours drive and the great outdoors everywhere to discover.

I miss the money and NZ isn't as cheap as you might think becasue most of the goods are imported and therefore priced as they would be in the UK.

My advice would be to not burn any bridges in the UK. If you sell up and want to go back, you will find it near impossible to get back on the property ladder. If it's located in a rentable area, rent it out and maybe reaslise some capital gains. Worst case you can sell it when you are sure NZ is for you, or just go back and live in it.

I live in NZ but have property investments in the UK which if I sold would allow me to retire nicely here. However, as I am only 32 I prefer to work and have a mortgage and let my investments wotk for me in the UK.

Also, NZ doesn't have any CGT ( Capital Gains Tax). Therefore, provided you are out of the country for 5+ yrs. You can realise the profit gross (subject to local taxes, etc.)

I don;t plan too far ahead buy out of all the places in the world NZ has to be one of the most favourable for lots of reasons and in this day and age, you don't have to shut the door totaly closed on the UK...

Have fun deciding...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.