Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working in North Ryde; where to live??

Working in North Ryde; where to live??

Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:12 am
Just Joined

huwger is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Working in North Ryde; where to live??

Hello,
I'm wandering if anyone can help. I'm a Welsh doctor moving to work in North Ryde in August with a mate. The salary will be around $69000AUS, and the contract is for 6 months. Basically I want to be able to surf every day.

Does anyone have any idea of a good place to live that's commutable to both the beach and to work? Both of us don't mind paying a bit more in rent if we get close to the beach.

Any feedback will be much appreciated.
thanks
Huw
Old Jun 4th 2008, 3:47 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in North Ryde; where to live??

North Ryde

follow the Main road from North Ryde out to Pacific Highway, turns into the Mona Vale Road and heads on over into Mona Vale. Nearest Beach for surfing via most direct route. Or travel through Forestville and on out to surf beaches of Colleroy and Curl Curl.

So burbs for you are going to be on these routes. I do not know your working day but surfing each day is going to be hard depending on the time of year. It will be dark at 5.00 pm during the winter months for minimum 4 months and sun up isn't till seven ish - hope your six months is planned for the summer months

Better times during the summer months but still dark by 8.30 and sunset isn't a time recommended for surfing by some.

If you are thinking of working shift timings can be better for getting in some beach time. But basically on a nine to five you are not really going to be seeing the surf mid week unless you live on the beach and waiting for the sun to come up in winter.

You will need a car for these commuter routes as direct public transport is sparse and you need to head in and then out between North Shore and North Ryde or go through a hub like Chatswood.

Commute times from St Ives (on direct Mona Vale Road route) to beach is 20 mins on a good day but not in rush hour.

Rush hour traffic could make this direct journey anything from 40 mins to over an hour from St Ives to North Ryde adding on the bit from Mona Vale could mean a definte 60 min journey each way.

I do not know the commute time to Curl Curl and Colleroy but think these will add a fair bit on.

So have a look at Mona Vale or Narrabean Colleroy and you will have good beach weekends and a longer daily commute - Manley might suit you better again longer commute but lively area and good beach scene

Good luck
Old Jun 5th 2008, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

My sis lives in Maroubra I'm not far from where you'll be working and with The newly opened Lane Cove Tunnel and using the toll motorways it takes 35mins from Maroubra Beach to North Ryde..... Would cost $12 return in road tolls.....
As others have said North Ryde is about 35mins from Mona Vale and those Northern Beaches. We find it easier (but more expenisive) to get to the Eastern Suburbs (Maroubra & coogee) at the weekends rather than heading out down the Mona Vale/ Ryde Roads.
With both places the travel time is off-peak. Being a stay-at-home mum I try and avoid rush hour!
Old Jun 5th 2008, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

huwger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Katherined0
My sis lives in Maroubra I'm not far from where you'll be working and with The newly opened Lane Cove Tunnel and using the toll motorways it takes 35mins from Maroubra Beach to North Ryde..... Would cost $12 return in road tolls.....
As others have said North Ryde is about 35mins from Mona Vale and those Northern Beaches. We find it easier (but more expenisive) to get to the Eastern Suburbs (Maroubra & coogee) at the weekends rather than heading out down the Mona Vale/ Ryde Roads.
With both places the travel time is off-peak. Being a stay-at-home mum I try and avoid rush hour!
thank you for your replies,
I will be working shifts, so getting to the beach in the morning is not a problem. I was really keen to use public transport rather that buy a car. Can anyone recomed somehwhere within an hour of north ryde and the north beaches that is commutable using train/bus?
thanks
Huw
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you'd survive here without a car - public transport is pretty woeful, especially off-peak. I really think you'll have to bite the bullet on that one. Just buy something cheap that you can re-sell after the 6 months is up.

Originally Posted by huwger
thank you for your replies,
I will be working shifts, so getting to the beach in the morning is not a problem. I was really keen to use public transport rather that buy a car. Can anyone recomed somehwhere within an hour of north ryde and the north beaches that is commutable using train/bus?
thanks
Huw
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ezzie
I don't think you'd survive here without a car - public transport is pretty woeful, especially off-peak.
Public transport to North Ryde is getting better but mainly from CBD rather than to beaches and mainly by bus from central Sydney to North Ryde(busy at peak times but regualar throughout the day and not too bad tif you're travelling off peak)..... A new train line will link Epping to Chatswood and tho the CBD and is due to open in about a year. Possibly you could consider living near the beach and then doing the commute to North Ryde for work.....

Check out the Sydney travel information for travel times.
I know you said you wanted the northern beaches (mona vale etc) but if you're travelling by public transport the Eastern Suburbs (coogee, maroubra, bondi) are possibly more directly linked to North Ryde using public transport.
Alternatively choosing somewhere along the Mona Vale Road (e.g. St Ives, Terry Hills) would split your travelling time.....
North Ryde IMHO has the advantage of not being far from anywhere but not that close to anywhere either so that whatever you do if you want a mix of beach and north ryde with no car, you're going to have to compromise on the commute or beach travel times.
Hope I've made sense -- I've rambled on a bit!
Old Jun 5th 2008, 11:21 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katherined0
Public transport to North Ryde is getting better but mainly from CBD rather than to beaches and mainly by bus from central Sydney to North Ryde(busy at peak times but regualar throughout the day and not too bad tif you're travelling off peak)..... A new train line will link Epping to Chatswood and tho the CBD and is due to open in about a year. Possibly you could consider living near the beach and then doing the commute to North Ryde for work.....
Check out the Sydney travel information for travel times.
I know you said you wanted the northern beaches (mona vale etc) but if you're travelling by public transport the Eastern Suburbs (coogee, maroubra, bondi) are possibly more directly linked to North Ryde using public transport.
Alternatively choosing somewhere along the Mona Vale Road (e.g. St Ives, Terry Hills) would split your travelling time.....
North Ryde IMHO has the advantage of not being far from anywhere but not that close to anywhere either so that whatever you do if you want a mix of beach and north ryde with no car, you're going to have to compromise on the commute or beach travel times.Hope I've made sense -- I've rambled on a bit!
I agree with your whole post information but especially the comments in bold.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 2:15 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

my OH works in Nth Ryde. We rented in St Ives & thought it would be an easy/quick journey on public transport along Mona Vale Rd/Ryde Rd. There is no direct bus as it cover 2 different bus company areas. Thus it would be a bus to Gordon Station, wait for the connecting bus from Gordon to Nth Ryde. What is a relatively short distance still took over an hour to commute.

We have moved closer & he often still gets the bus that leaves Gordon station. However in rush hour the traffic can be very bad resulting in the bus usually running late (there are no bus lanes along this section of Ryde Rd). Cycling or even walking has been quicker, but not much fun when the weather is as wet as it has been this week.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

idgannih is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
I'm wandering if anyone can help. I'm a Welsh doctor moving to work in North Ryde in August with a mate. The salary will be around $69000AUS, and the contract is for 6 months. Basically I want to be able to surf every day.

Does anyone have any idea of a good place to live that's commutable to both the beach and to work? Both of us don't mind paying a bit more in rent if we get close to the beach.

thanks
Huw
Hey Huw, came across this thread when I was looking for some info on Ryde hospital - I had an interview for a ED job there next year and just wondering how you were finding it and where you ended up staying in the end? The only job review I've found so far was pretty negative so I hope you're having a better time of it. Any info gratefully received.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 4:49 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

North Ryde is a large traffic jam these days and may get a bit better when the train goes in. Maroubra to North Ryde is about 45 mins early in the morning and an hour going back home. It can take 30 mins longer depending on traffic. Bondi, Tama and Bronte are probably about 5 mins quicker.

Northern Beaches are accessible but public transport, nightlife and eating is not as good.

Basically do all you can to drive to North Ryde or you will be wasting time on a bus that gets stuck in traffic.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

thanks
Huw
Journey to northern beaches isn't that bad, why don't you just live in North Ryde?
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:42 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Journey to northern beaches isn't that bad, why don't you just live in North Ryde?
A surfer likes to be on the waves at the crack of dawn when the ocean is at its smoothest. As the land heats up the wind builds up and knocks the waves out of shape.

Unless you like the nightlife at El Rancho and the Uni the area is pretty boring.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Been here long enough to know the difference between a professional and someone who loves to surf! His choice is get up early and drive to surf or have a not very pleasant commute each day!
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Maroubra to North Ryde is about 45 mins early in the morning and an hour going back home.
Are you a 'bra pom nowadays, Ivan?
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IvanM
Bondi, Tama and Bronte are probably about 5 mins quicker.
This is possibly a thread hi-jack but am just interested which route you take. We can get to my sisters in Maroubra (2mins from the beach) in about 25mins using the LCT, Harbour Tunnel, and then onto Southern Cross Drive.

We love Bronte but find it a pig to get to! What do you think would be the quickest route???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.