Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

working holiday visa questions

working holiday visa questions

Old Jul 17th 2003, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default working holiday visa questions

I am possibly going on a working holiday visa next year and until i get on my feet and find a job and know where i want to be over there i will probably stay with a second cousin of mine.

i was wondering what i should pay each week or advise as to what would be ok for me living there until i get somewhere else or get a job where i can then possibly rent somewhere for myself.

any advise as to what would be an alright weekly payment for me to pay while staying there and living in there house.

also any one been there on a working holiday visa?

any usefull advise on what to take and see and do while i am there would be great the more info i can gather or info the better time i might have over there.

do i buy a cheap car?
do i get a return flight or single?
are flights as cheap to book over there as here?
any isps anyone recommend?
would it be wise to take a laptop?
can i get medicare and do i still take out insurance for a year?
where is the best priced and value for money insurance for travelers for 12 months?
do i need a tfn if i work?
best mobile provider coverage?

also what items should i not take and must take with me?
best oz bank account for me to open and use while over there?

plus anything else anyone can add
Old Jul 17th 2003, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

millertime is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WHV

Take its Australia you off to?

Best advice...dont plan too much. We had a basic route - start and finish in perth. We did a big loop and went to NZ and into the Centre.
Have you got a lonely planet book? Comes in very handy.
Also check out the thorntree on Lonely planet website if not done already.
You may want to pick out places you really want to see and make sure you hit the places at the right time of the year.
We tried to see as much as we could but know people who just did NSW and the East Coast. To us that seemed a waste but each to their own.

Are you travelling alone? If you are then once you get in the hostels you wont be on your own for long. we made some life long pals and ended up doing a bit of our travelling with others. A lot of folk we met that travelled alone met folk and carried on with them.
Where are you flying into?

do i buy a cheap car? We did internal flights and bussed it. Loads of folk advertise on notice boards wanting lifts or offering lifts too. Some folk want to share a car buy.
do i get a return flight or single? We booked return so as not to worry about finding the cash and got a v good deal. £850 each return with 4 internal flights and a flight return to NZ. But you can buy one way on the WHV.
are flights as cheap to book over there as here? Virgin Blue and Qantas do some cheap flights over there. Prices on their websites.
would it be wise to take a laptop? Wouldnt bother as internet cafes all over the place cheap. And if you are hostelling/backpacking could be more of a worry to carry about.
can i get medicare and do i still take out insurance for a year? You can get medicare and best to do so but need insurance as well.
do i need a tfn if i work? Yes. apply as soon as you get there as takes couple of weeks to come through and if you dont have one you get taxed loads more.
best mobile provider coverage? We bought a vodafone pay as you go over there. Again folk advertise them for sale in hostels on the cheap.

also what items should i not take and must take with me?
Take copies of everything like your passport, insurance, tickets (any docs basically!) and if you can laminate them incase of water damage in your backpak. leave a copy at home too.

best oz bank account for me to open and use while over there? We chose ANZ but know others who chose Commonwealth. We only used it for salary to go into. Opened a Nationwide Flex Account in the Uk before heading and it has a visa debit card with free use all over the world.

Anyway hope you enjoy your year away and hope I have helped a wee bit.