Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

working holiday visa questions

working holiday visa questions

Old Jun 22nd 2003, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default working holiday visa questions

Going on a working visa next year just getting some info in advance if anyone has more to add please do.

does anyone know of good,cheap and well known insurance companys that would insure me for the 12 months i was away.

does anyone know of well known unmetered isp in oz thats been around for a while and will not fade away in a few weeks or months that i can use that no phone charges would accur as i plan to use a laptop to keep in touch with family and friends etc.

does anyone know if best wait till near time to go or best book a flight in advance would i get one for less if i left it much later or would i end up paying more.

does anyone know if driving over there in oz with a uk licence is a internatioanl driving permit required too or is this just an option.

can anyone tell me when buying a car over there what other costs are involved here in the uk there is insurance,road tax and mot does the same apply over there and can anyone recommend cheap and good insurance companys that would insure me for that time, i have no car at present and no isurance here in uk so i dont think i would get discounts.

anyone know of phone cards i can buy when over there to phone back home for cheap calls.

can anyone tell me what mobile companys are over there and who is most used and popular and best coverage as i plan to take a mobile and change sim- if i do this then i return home can i just put my old sim back in without any problems.

can anyone tell me i plan to have a small break away from oz and meet up with people in usa during my stay in oz if i leave oz on my working visa is it ok to return as and when i like im sure i read this was ok.

can anyone recommend jobs that pay well on a working visa i have a few jobs lined up already etc but wondered what my other options where just incase i need to look further.

can anyone recommend a good oz bank and account i could use and open when over there also would i have to close account when i left oz or could i keep it open and transfer money into if when i get back to uk.

does anyone know of any new and good books that i can find lots of info and pics of possible places i might wish to go and see etc please mention them.

im sure i have asked everything but if not please let me know
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

i'm sure when everyone gets back online someone will have some answers for you..

cheers

richard
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 6:27 pm
Badge

Default Re: working holiday visa questions

does anyone know if driving over there in oz with a uk licence is a internatioanl driving permit required too or is this just an option.

just drive on a UK one - I never had any issues

can anyone tell me when buying a car over there

you can buy a Ford Falcon for 1-4K Australian from backpacker hostels - check the noticeboards. Auctions even cheaper. You will need to pay to put the car in your own name and pay any rego. (veh tax). It may also need a pink slip - inspection. I think the rego (green slip) has third party insurance.

anyone know of phone cards i can buy when over there to phone back home for cheap calls.

Go to any newsagent and shop around.

Optus do a good pay as you go "bring your own mobile" deal.

can anyone tell me i plan to have a small break away from oz and meet up with people in usa during my stay in oz if i leave oz on my working visa is it ok to return as and when i like im sure i read this was ok.

your WHV should be multiple entry.

can anyone recommend jobs that pay well on a working visa i have a few jobs lined up already etc but wondered what my other options where just incase i need to look further.

for a bloke - labouring - simple as that. Drilling/mining/truck driving good money - but you need a few days of training under your belt.

does anyone know of any new and good books that i can find lots of info and pics of possible places i might wish to go and see etc please mention them.

rough guide/lonely planet mate

PM me if you want details.

badgers

Old Jun 24th 2003, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default Re: working holiday visa questions

Originally posted by brian.w
Going on a working visa next year just getting some info in advance if anyone has more to add please do.

does anyone know of good,cheap and well known insurance companys that would insure me for the 12 months i was away.

does anyone know of well known unmetered isp in oz thats been around for a while and will not fade away in a few weeks or months that i can use that no phone charges would accur as i plan to use a laptop to keep in touch with family and friends etc.

does anyone know if best wait till near time to go or best book a flight in advance would i get one for less if i left it much later or would i end up paying more.

can anyone tell me when buying a car over there what other costs are involved here in the uk there is insurance,road tax and mot does the same apply over there and can anyone recommend cheap and good insurance companys that would insure me for that time, i have no car at present and no isurance here in uk so i dont think i would get discounts.

can anyone tell me what mobile companys are over there and who is most used and popular and best coverage as i plan to take a mobile and change sim- if i do this then i return home can i just put my old sim back in without any problems.

can anyone recommend a good oz bank and account i could use and open when over there also would i have to close account when i left oz or could i keep it open and transfer money into if when i get back to uk.

im sure i have asked everything but if not please let me know

i am today having second thoughts of not going to oz on my working holiday visa, what is everyone else's thoughts should i not miss this and enjoy myself or would i better stay at home.

i am 31 and too old now to get another but got my visa just before i turned 31 in the hope that i would go later in the year.

im just wondering if many people on this sites has been on a working holiday visa and if so what they thought of being there for one year,what they did and wished they had done and anything else they can add.

im sure i will go but not 100% sure and i need to make up my mind asap so i can book flight in advance.

has anyone booked flights with ebookers and are the the cheapest also with booking with them does one have to pay the flight in full if booking online or is a deposit paid first and the rest later i have emailed them several times with no reply
Old Jun 24th 2003, 12:23 pm
J&K
Forum Regular

J&K is an unknown quantity at this point

That one's easy to answer: GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jun 24th 2003, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by J&K
That one's easy to answer: GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

give me your reasons why?
Old Jun 24th 2003, 12:26 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

I went out for 8 months on a working holiday VISA. Loved it.

I just booked my flights to oz with ebookers. Got a great price with singapore airlines, and was really easy. I paid up front.

Cheers

Pete.