Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working enviroment in Oz

Working enviroment in Oz

Old May 29th 2007, 7:03 pm
Geoff

Geoff Spilman will become famous soon enoughGeoff Spilman will become famous soon enough
Default Working enviroment in Oz

I am currently a printer in the U.k with a P.R visa for Victoria possibly looking to move to Melbourne later in the year.

I am looking for peoples opinions on the working enviroment in Au.
I find now in my industry that the jobs are no longer there and the wages have gone backwards.....10 years. I find employers saying things like.. ''The global markets making it tough for all of us!'' meaning you'll have to work harder for less wonga whilst still coing it in! Overtime down to time and a half or normal time...no breaks on twelve hour shifts e.t.c...
It seems to me that a blue collar skill like printing is no longer valued in the U.k and frankly I feel like I'm treated like s*** ......I believe skilled people are valued in Oz??? I know this is gonna open a can of worms but I'd like to know peoples opinions and experiences please.
Old May 29th 2007, 9:40 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working enviroment in Oz

I think that pay and general conditions of employment are in fact a lot worse in Australia for a similar job. Just because a skill is on the skill in demand list doesnt mean that you have employers throwing themselves at you as many have found out.
Old May 29th 2007, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geoff Spilman
I am currently a printer in the U.k with a P.R visa for Victoria possibly looking to move to Melbourne later in the year.

I am looking for peoples opinions on the working enviroment in Au.
I find now in my industry that the jobs are no longer there and the wages have gone backwards.....10 years. I find employers saying things like.. ''The global markets making it tough for all of us!'' meaning you'll have to work harder for less wonga whilst still coing it in! Overtime down to time and a half or normal time...no breaks on twelve hour shifts e.t.c...
It seems to me that a blue collar skill like printing is no longer valued in the U.k and frankly I feel like I'm treated like s*** ......I believe skilled people are valued in Oz??? I know this is gonna open a can of worms but I'd like to know peoples opinions and experiences please.
Good and bad employers everywhere! Australia no different to UK in that respect. Loads of issues regarding employment in Aus on here if you do a search, lots of them complaining about pay, conditions, contracts,attitude of employers etc etc etc. Do a search and find out for yourself.
Old May 29th 2007, 9:53 pm
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

I work longer hours for less pay in Australia, but the move here was about a better lifestyle.
Old May 30th 2007, 12:23 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Antney
I work longer hours for less pay in Australia, but the move here was about a better lifestyle.
Conversely, I work about the same hours for a lot more pay, so it can work in both directions.

Ultimately it will depend on your industry.

S
Old May 30th 2007, 12:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to burst your bubble Geoff, but check out this recent news report:

AUSTRALIANS are slogging their guts out working overtime and most employees don’t get much thanks, with the bulk of overtime done being unpaid.

# Survey shows more than 90 per cent work overtime
# 74 per cent of workers who do overtime aren't paid

http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...07-462,00.html
Old May 30th 2007, 1:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

AUSTRALIANS are slogging their guts out working overtime and most employees don’t get much thanks, with the bulk of overtime done being unpaid.

There have been some recent threads on the changes to the IR laws in Aus - changes which certainly don't benefit the employees. If anything the country is moving backwards not forwards.
Try this one

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453040
Old May 30th 2007, 2:53 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Skilled people valued in Oz! Pahh!
Old May 30th 2007, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Fair comment.

I would say often the most wanted occupations on the list are there for a reason

Ambulance - Every few weeks another yet another 4 page media report of a service in crisis.

Hairdressers and childcare - aussies can get more on the dole than the wages they pay.

Bricklayers, great lifestyle slog yourself to death in 38 temps for less wages than the UK.

Teachers and nurses, read the fine print often means outback or some highly disadvantged community where most aussies wont go.

I suppose its like the great opportunities for truck drivers in North America , locals wont do it, import an immigrant.
Old May 30th 2007, 3:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Its an interesting one isn't it!!! Quote of the week maybe?!

Old May 30th 2007, 4:35 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you ask an australian if they are over worked they are going to say yes and have a good moan about it.
I do often see people over her spend long hours in the office, but do they do any work while they are there

Originally Posted by renth

Old May 30th 2007, 6:00 am
Just Joined

pendleman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by themerlin
I do often see people over her spend long hours in the office, but do they do any work while they are there
Good point, long hours are valued far more than actually doing something in some places I've worked.
Old May 30th 2007, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

One thing most people here will tell you is dont move to Australia for the money

I have been here 4 years and have just about matched the salary i was on when i left the UK. On the positive side though, i have never looked back.
Old May 30th 2007, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

It depends, I earn more, in real terms, and my expenses are a lot lower due to the subsidised housing cost. There are no Trade Unions sniffing around my 'shop floor' and I get treated like an intelligent being. No Selection Criterias etc. If you have a skill set and they can work with you, you're in.

It's all industry related.