Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working Conditions in Oz

Working Conditions in Oz

Old Jun 16th 2003, 3:55 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working Conditions in Oz

Originally posted by Megalania
Your tripes are obviously too full of onions and, personally, I would not trust them as garters.
Your motion has been moved to the place it belongs and is now on its way to the sewerage works.

Old Jun 16th 2003, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Grub
Much as I hate to put a negative on the siteI must admit that my sister (office job), husband (carpenter) and other friends and rellies seem to work very long hours. My husband starts at 7am and finishes when the job is done which is often past 5pm. I cant comment on the backbiting but what i would say is look around when you get here. Dont settle for a job and stik at it- keep looking. I think that self emp is the goer if you want control over your lives. Mind you- at least the free time you do get is spent doing great free things in the great outdoors, rather than spending long misreable hours stuck inside watching dross on the TV as it's perpetually raining.

Speaking of weather- it's a bloody lovely winter- glorious sunny days and chilly nights (dont throw away those fan heaters and warm coats!!)
You have been in Oz just months and now one negative already. That is how it starts. You must now be careful and start wearing blinkers, otherwise in 2 years you will have more negatives than positives.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 4:04 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Wilf
You have been in Oz just months and now one negative already. That is how it starts. You must now be careful and start wearing blinkers, otherwise in 2 years you will have more negatives than positives.
Unemployed housewife who thinks surburbia is paradise , no known cure.

Old Jun 16th 2003, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Sure some people are in stressfull overworked jobs but not everyone. I also work for the Gov in IT and about half the people are contractors the other half full time employees. None of us are overworked. Most of us if not all spend half their time on the internet (some of them took to spending tea breaks playing table tennis for an hour or so twice a day, but that got noticed because their desks were empty!!!!)

The full time workers have to 37.5 hours per week as that is all they are paid for, they also get 4 weeks paid holiday and paid sick leave (one guy is back after taking off more than 12 months sick leave). Gov employees have got virtually a job for life as they virtually never get rid of perm employees. Quite often they will work 40-45 hours per week to build up time and then take a whole week off.

The contractors (me included) work approx 42 hours per week as we are only paid when at work, so the more we work the more we are paid. We are also on 3 month contracts that are generally renewed every 3 months.

This is the first time I've every worked for a gov and it's def an eye opener about how the other half live. So it's not all doom and gloom down here.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 4:41 am
Banned

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Sure some people are in stressfull overworked jobs but not everyone. I also work for the Gov in IT and about half the people are contractors the other half full time employees. None of us are overworked. Most of us if not all spend half their time on the internet (some of them took to spending tea breaks playing table tennis for an hour or so twice a day, but that got noticed because their desks were empty!!!!)

The full time workers have to 37.5 hours per week as that is all they are paid for, they also get 4 weeks paid holiday and paid sick leave (one guy is back after taking off more than 12 months sick leave). Gov employees have got virtually a job for life as they virtually never get rid of perm employees. Quite often they will work 40-45 hours per week to build up time and then take a whole week off.

The contractors (me included) work approx 42 hours per week as we are only paid when at work, so the more we work the more we are paid. We are also on 3 month contracts that are generally renewed every 3 months.

This is the first time I've every worked for a gov and it's def an eye opener about how the other half live. So it's not all doom and gloom down here.

Again you point out what most of us know the Public Servents live off the fat of the land , while we starve to pay for it.
Russia with a Western face?

Ps what team did you support on Saturday are you a turn coat?

Old Jun 16th 2003, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

More and more gov jobs are like yours - 3 month contracts - in a lot of areas and although this might suit you now, wait till you settle for good with wife and maybe kids and then you will not be pleased to be in temporary contracts, hoping every 3rd month that you will be kept on for 3 more. This is the situation for dockers in the 50s and that was crap.
If you say that you will get a permanent job, then you will be competing with millions of others for a few permanent jobs or beaten into unemployment by some young one prepared to take temp contracts (like you are now). Enjoy it now Paul and save, do not spend - you will need the money later.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Again you point out what most of us know the Public Servents live off the fat of the land , while we starve to pay for it.
Russia with a Western face?

Ps what team did you support on Saturday are you a turn coat?

And what are you living off the sweat of your fellow workers, because the amount of time you spend on here you cannot generate much work either.

No mind what team what sport are you talking about. My intrest in sport is non existent on a good day
Old Jun 16th 2003, 4:53 am
Banned

And what are you living off the sweat of your fellow workers, because the amount of time you spend on here you cannot generate much work either.

No mind what team what sport are you talking about. My intrest in sport is non existent on a good day

You know little but eat tax dollars that I create to feed your wide open mouth.
Fine I expect nerds to be none sporting , but to not follow Rugby in NZ is to be a none person , time for change of name BritPaul?

Old Jun 16th 2003, 5:07 am
Just Joined

stone6 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi sunlover,

I think the working conditions in oz stink!! the attitude by the boss to the workers is so bad it is unbelievable. my hubby has just been told ' don't get upset when all the others get payrises over the years and you don't, because really you have already had the extra money - you and your family have cost this company 1,000's of $, if you feel you need to earn more money - I will supply you with plenty of overtime'

we got perm residence through ENS and his boss paid an agent and paid the visa fee and our flights. but now we have the prospect of no pay rises for years to come!

vicki
Old Jun 16th 2003, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by stone6
hi sunlover,

I think the working conditions in oz stink!! the attitude by the boss to the workers is so bad it is unbelievable. my hubby has just been told ' don't get upset when all the others get payrises over the years and you don't, because really you have already had the extra money - you and your family have cost this company 1,000's of $, if you feel you need to earn more money - I will supply you with plenty of overtime'

we got perm residence through ENS and his boss paid an agent and paid the visa fee and our flights. but now we have the prospect of no pay rises for years to come!

vicki
This is typical of what I have personally experienced over many years when I was working and of what my friends and family still experience. Immigrants are made to feel grateful for bad treatment (I have had bosses tell me that there are a thousand poms who will not question the working conditions - and lack of overtime pay - who want my job). You have said it in a nutshell:

" Working conditions in Oz stink!!"
Old Jun 16th 2003, 5:18 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi sunlover,

vicki
The tactic they use with us is to dispute every detail during the negotiation phase of any new agreement. Our management disputed every aspect of our new EBA and the old EBA expired and it all had to go to arbitration.

So for the past 2 years I have not had a wage rise, with CPI runing at 3-4%, my wages have eroded. This is a deliberate ploy by management and with thousands on the payroll they save a fortune. Bastards...
Old Jun 16th 2003, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

vicki
Surely if you've got PR you can tell the boss what he can do with his job. PR gives you right to reside in Australia with out tying you to a job. With a working Visa you might be tied to the job, but surely not with PR.

I could be wrong here as I'm not sure of the details
Old Jun 16th 2003, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Surely if you've got PR you can tell the boss what he can do with his job. PR gives you right to reside in Australia with out tying you to a job. With a working Visa you might be tied to the job, but surely not with PR.

I could be wrong here as I'm not sure of the details
You are showing how much of a kid you are here.
Why not just chuck in your job and take one of the other hundreds you will be offered!
Amazing
Old Jun 16th 2003, 6:28 am
Just Joined

stone6 is an unknown quantity at this point

ever tried getting a job in OZ?
Old Jun 16th 2003, 6:32 am
Banned

ever tried getting a job in OZ?
The guys being ironic , Paul is unemployed he works for the goverment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.