Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"Working away from home" tax breaks.

"Working away from home" tax breaks.

Old Jul 24th 2008, 6:52 am
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all
Default "Working away from home" tax breaks.

Hi everyone,
I'm in the fortunate position of having agreed to sell my house in the UK and have decided to move to Australia. I've had 3 job interviews and all seem pretty positive, and it looks like I'll be heading out on a 457 visa. I do however want it to be a permament move.
I'm getting confused messages from potential employers about something they call "Working away from home" tax breaks, which I understand are reductions in tax payments you can get to cover rental costs etc if you're classed as "living away from home".
1 of the firms didn't mention it, another was sure I could claim it, and another felt the fact that I was selling my house in the Uk would make claiming it difficult.
It's not going to be deal breaker, is as much that I'm determined to go anyway, but it would be helpful in my planning if I knew what the situation was likely to be.
Has anyone got experience of claiming this?
Also, on a connected note, I understand this rebate stops once you apply for premanent residency. I certainly aim to stay in Oz, but one of the interviewers told me I'd have to work for two years on a 457 before I could apply for residency. Is that true?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Adam
Old Jul 24th 2008, 9:15 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Working away from home" tax breaks.

A 457 visa is a temporary visa. As long as you are on that you'll be entitled to claim LAFHA (Living Away From Home Allowance). Doesn't matter that you consider the move a permanent one. Your visa is a temp visa and that's the important point. Whether you're selling your house in the UK or not is irrelevant.

Have a read here: http://www.payme.com.au/living-away-...nce-lafha.html

As soon as you put an application in for a PR visa, you lose the LAFHA (i.e. not when PR is granted but when you lodge the application).

Gina