Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working with the Aussies

Working with the Aussies

Old Feb 19th 2005, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of
Default Working with the Aussies

Hiya,

Just one quick question - how do you find working with the Aussies? :scared:
Do you have any experiences you can share. Hubbie is a Brickie and is just wondering what it is like working with the Aussies on-site.
Generally, building-related or not, do they like POMs or do they think we are just going to Oz and taking their work?

Cheers

Jo
Old Feb 19th 2005, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

wafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nice
Default Re: Working with the Aussies

Originally Posted by joeyb
Hiya,

Just one quick question - how do you find working with the Aussies? :scared:
Do you have any experiences you can share. Hubbie is a Brickie and is just wondering what it is like working with the Aussies on-site.
Generally, building-related or not, do they like POMs or do they think we are just going to Oz and taking their work?

Cheers

Jo
Had no trouble at all,once they understand your accent,if you have a Northern one you'll struggle!
Sense of humour needs refining they don't get British Humour
Old Feb 19th 2005, 9:17 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wafoo1
Had no trouble at all,once they understand your accent,if you have a Northern one you'll struggle!
I work in human services and found my colleagues to have a sense of humour at about 80% of mine

They love TV programmes like Little Britain and Phoenix Nights.

Very sarcastic but so are the Brits I work with too....

And I have Geordie accent, it was a struggle at first but I've learned to slow down my speach and I've sent them web links to the Geordie language which was a laugh in itself
Old Feb 19th 2005, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I'm about the same as you Walla

80% of the time we giggle and laugh all day... now and again they stare blankly but just laugh at me anyway.. i have to say that the crowd i work with are the friendliest i ever had the pleasure to work with either here, UK or NZ!!
Old Feb 19th 2005, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

I work in west London with over 20 aussies and kiwi's, we all have a great laugh and share the same sense of humour...I find most of the Aussies are a lot more relaxed than the UK staff...they are always more friendly, I don't know why that is....
...in my industry there's a shortage of qualified workers...without the Aussies and Kiwi's we would be in serious trouble...we're glad that they take the UK jobs...however I'm not an aussie brickie so can't help to much!!

just my observations ...

Last edited by pako; Feb 19th 2005 at 9:42 am.
Old Feb 19th 2005, 9:48 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

another thing too, I think it would be rather boring if the Aussies had the same sense of humour as the Brits.... may as well stay in the UK if you want the same old same old....
Old Feb 19th 2005, 9:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by wafoo1
We need to learn their sense of humour too, it caught me out a few times in my early days

Old Feb 19th 2005, 9:49 am
Keeping it fairly real

Originally Posted by podgypossum
I'm about the same as you Walla

80% of the time we giggle and laugh all day... now and again they stare blankly but just laugh at me anyway.. i have to say that the crowd i work with are the friendliest i ever had the pleasure to work with either here, UK or NZ!!
I'd go with that PP, they've welcomed me with open arms, good on them
Old Feb 19th 2005, 10:11 am
PommieLeague

I tend to find them no problems. They wind me up, I wind them up. I tell them they are the Poms (convicts) and not us.

Sense of humour is similar IMO. Aussies hate losing at sport, so whenever a British sporting team like England soccer, GB rugby league or England cricket win, rub it in!!

Old Feb 19th 2005, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Just 4 rules seem to get me by in most situations including work...

1. Be honest and sincere

2. Be upfront but relaxed

3. Be very easy going

4. NEVER stick yourself on a pedestal..you'll get knocked off very quickly
Old Feb 19th 2005, 10:28 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lathlain
...so whenever a British sporting team like England soccer, GB rugby league or England cricket win, rub it in!!
I will file that away as a useful strategy, just in case it ever happens

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Feb 19th 2005, 11:49 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Aussies have a sense of humour, I find it different to UK humour though.

The put down is a part of the Aussie character. If they do it to you, give it back with interest & then some. Be relentless. If they get on top, they'll never let up.

Aussies love to dish it up, but are not good at taking it back, I say give it back to them with a cherry on top. Again be relentless.

Wind them up at every opportunity. They are going to do it to you, so do it to them first After all, winding Aussies up is one of life's great sports & is a real pleasure because they bite so easily.

Last edited by Amazulu; Feb 19th 2005 at 11:50 am. Reason: can't spell