Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Working in Adelaide - cauliwobbles

Wikiposts

Working in Adelaide - cauliwobbles

Old May 27th 2003, 10:06 am
Just Joined

kerstinschuetz is an unknown quantity at this point

Not at the moment. It's a bit complicated, so here's a quick re-hash.
First moved to Australia from Germany when I was 12. Have lived in Chicago-US for the last 2 1/2 years and I'm hoping to move back to Adelaide with my american boyfriend at the end of the year (we're currently applying for a defacto visa for him).
Eight years ago I actually had a german partner, who moved to Australia with me. he had a degree in business and had a very hard time finding work. He used interlink, which were really great. He also did some work experience. After 9 months he still hadn't found a job in Adelaide howeverand moved back to Germany eventually. it was pretty hard, and he tried very hard to find work. Still - I don't want this to be too discouraging to anyone. it will always depend on your field, and if your english is perfect taht will also make it much easier. His was good, but not perfect when it came to business english etc. Job applications in Germany,a nd even interview clothes are very different. Adealide tends to be more conservative, so interlink really helped him with these kinds of things, among others.

the main take home message we got was that people generally preferred to hire someone with australian qualifications, and that at the very least it will help to do some work experience. Networking is very very important. Adealide is very much all about who you know. Most people will probably tell you this. I think this also applies for living in Adelaide. the people are very friendly, but it can be a bit more 'cliquei' at times than other places and take a while to make friends. My boyfriend also experienced this. This is all very general of course. Hope some of this helps. Let me know if I can help with any other advice. i loved living in Adelaideand hopefully will find a job there somehow, too. i'm keeping my options open though, because it is so hard. I'm looking at patent law-in case anyone has any leads on that....

Kerstin
Old May 27th 2003, 9:54 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kerstinschuetz
Not at the moment. It's a bit complicated, so here's a quick re-hash.
First moved to Australia from Germany when I was 12. Have lived in Chicago-US for the last 2 1/2 years and I'm hoping to move back to Adelaide with my american boyfriend at the end of the year (we're currently applying for a defacto visa for him).
Eight years ago I actually had a german partner, who moved to Australia with me. he had a degree in business and had a very hard time finding work. He used interlink, which were really great. He also did some work experience. After 9 months he still hadn't found a job in Adelaide howeverand moved back to Germany eventually. it was pretty hard, and he tried very hard to find work. Still - I don't want this to be too discouraging to anyone. it will always depend on your field, and if your english is perfect taht will also make it much easier. His was good, but not perfect when it came to business english etc. Job applications in Germany,a nd even interview clothes are very different. Adealide tends to be more conservative, so interlink really helped him with these kinds of things, among others.

the main take home message we got was that people generally preferred to hire someone with australian qualifications, and that at the very least it will help to do some work experience. Networking is very very important. Adealide is very much all about who you know. Most people will probably tell you this. I think this also applies for living in Adelaide. the people are very friendly, but it can be a bit more 'cliquei' at times than other places and take a while to make friends. My boyfriend also experienced this. This is all very general of course. Hope some of this helps. Let me know if I can help with any other advice. i loved living in Adelaideand hopefully will find a job there somehow, too. i'm keeping my options open though, because it is so hard. I'm looking at patent law-in case anyone has any leads on that....

Kerstin
we have found jobs for german speaking people easy to come by in this state due to its german speaking heritage, in the tourist trade, out back tourism ,barrosa valley, adelaide hills, mainly in interpretation......in all due respects some times you have to widen your horizons.............MM
Old May 27th 2003, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

Do you fancy trying to help me find a job MM???

I have applied for over 400 jobs in the last 8 months and have managed to get just two evenings work out of all of that. It's not easy living on Newstart allowance, and I am applying for anything and everything now.

Still, I will get something, somewhere eventually
Old May 28th 2003, 2:06 am
Just Joined

kerstinschuetz is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad. I was simply telling you my experience. I have lived as a german in Australia-Adelaide specifically for a long time. I am very happy there and have grown up there. In fact I completed my PhD in Biophyscs there and have not had any problems finding a job in my line of work, but having contacts definitely helped. I was just quoting my boyfriends experience, coming from a different field. My ex-boyfriend by no means had a narrow horizon. He went to a lot of effort to find a job. In fact he originally studied at Flinders University as an exchange student, and had looked forward to returning to Adelaide. He still satys in contact with many freinds he made-german or otherwise. We have a very close friend who manages a very large international company in Adelaide. He is german, and we had many contacts through him. His opinion very much reflects mine. The fact is that Adelaide does not have much industry and when you are looking for a business position, it also certainly helps when you have perfect english skills.

I thought that this site was somewhere where you could share your experiences, and I am really disappointed that I just was insulted instead. I doubt that I will bother again. It's ok to have different experiences and points of view. This is an anonymous site however, and I think it's a bit much to assume to know whether other peoples opinions are based on ignorance or anything else, just because they differ to your own.

Originally posted by mr mover
we have found jobs for german speaking people easy to come by in this state due to its german speaking heritage, in the tourist trade, out back tourism ,barrosa valley, adelaide hills, mainly in interpretation......in all due respects some times you have to widen your horizons.............MM
Old May 28th 2003, 8:25 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by wizzywozza
Do you fancy trying to help me find a job MM???

I have applied for over 400 jobs in the last 8 months and have managed to get just two evenings work out of all of that. It's not easy living on Newstart allowance, and I am applying for anything and everything now.

Still, I will get something, somewhere eventually
what are you looking for ,?? what are your experiences,?? how far are you prepared to travel, ?? ............MM