IT Worker

Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Guy Incognito is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT Worker

Hi,

I am thinking of moving to Aus permanently and I should have enough points to qualify for a 175 visa. I have a few q's regarding the move.

1. Where is the best place for IT work? Or are do all the cities have a big IT market?
2. Has the credit crunch effected the IT market significantly?

3. I am looking for a family orientated place to bring up two kids aged 7 and 2.

How does the 175 effect my wife's options to work on a casual basis?

Thanks,
Forum newbie
Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:12 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: IT Worker

Originally Posted by Guy Incognito
Hi,

I am thinking of moving to Aus permanently and I should have enough points to qualify for a 175 visa. I have a few q's regarding the move.

1. Where is the best place for IT work? Or are do all the cities have a big IT market?

3. I am looking for a family orientated place to bring up two kids aged 7 and 2.

Thanks,
Forum newbie
There are so many areas to IT. How about being a bit more specific about which bit of IT you are skilled in ... and a bit of common sense would tell you that Sydney and Melbourne might be the best places for IT

Sorry for being so blunt but you are not helping yourself !

And yes the credit crunch has affected the IT market significantly ... there are less jobs being advertised. But it all depends on your specific IT skills as to how much in demand you will be.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks,
Forum newbie

Canberra has/had a great IT market but as mainly government you would need to be a citizen and with the Gershon report - Canberra is a 'soft' market right now
Old Feb 12th 2009, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

hk_1 will become famous soon enoughhk_1 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: IT Worker

I had the same question in my mind, I am an Oracle professional with
8 years of experiance, I did some research and found that Sydney
offers lots of jobs for Oracle, Brisbane is also good in that
regard since for family its a great place to live. I have planned to
move to Sydney first and after a while will move to Brisbane as I
love the place.

Best,
Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:53 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

BIG citys have big IT markets just like the UK

Yes very loads of people apply for the jobs you see on Seek

If you are family orientated you could live on the moon and it would not matter, familys are family orientated what country they are in means shag all.

She can work full time . part time, not at all its up to you and her.
having a very blunt day sorry
Old Feb 12th 2009, 5:07 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

1. Where is the best place for IT work?
India - its all being out sourced
Old Feb 12th 2009, 5:10 am

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC
Old Feb 12th 2009, 5:15 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

And they in turn sub contract the work to Malaysia who in turn sub contract the work to the Philippines who in turn sub contract the work to Mexico who in turn sub contract the work to the UK
Old Feb 12th 2009, 5:20 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Yup but there is loads of work fixing up crap they produce

Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:25 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by themerlin
Yup but there is loads of work fixing up crap they produce
Tell me about it..... Shame they aint paying me as much as thay did in the uk for it....
Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:26 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

i'm a .net/sql/asp developer with 10 years experience. we're considering landing in Adelaide, but there doesn't appear to be too many jobs being advertised there now and I'm a little sceptical when they are from agencies (i've know agencies to advertise non existent jobs in the uk)!

it's a little nervy to leave a job (i've had for the past n years) with it's security, to travel across the ocean to the 'unknown'.

still, we've been planning it for the past n years, so fingers crossed the house sells so if I don't find work for 12 months, we'll survive.

whatever happens, we won't be back!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by coolshadows
i'm a .net/sql/asp developer with 10 years experience. we're considering landing in Adelaide, but there doesn't appear to be too many jobs being advertised there now and I'm a little sceptical when they are from agencies (i've know agencies to advertise non existent jobs in the uk)!

it's a little nervy to leave a job (i've had for the past n years) with it's security, to travel across the ocean to the 'unknown'.

still, we've been planning it for the past n years, so fingers crossed the house sells so if I don't find work for 12 months, we'll survive.

whatever happens, we won't be back!
I have applied for so many jobs where I fit every aspect of the criteria and heard nothing from them its actually depressing as F**k.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

nickzeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perth Technical PM Roles

And how is Perth for IT Project Management roles? If the job sites are anything to go by... not that great at the moment. Anybody got any insider knowledge about this?

I'm PRINCE2 qualified with 3 years of good PM experience and over 10 years of technical experience in IT, mainly as a developer.

Tried previously to ask on this thread, but no-one's answering! Perhaps a Perth PM or employer might see this and have something to say?

Cheers for any advice or help in advance!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

G1ZmO will become famous soon enough

This is what worries me the most about migrating. Obviously.

I have 20 years IT experience but none of it is in any specific discipline and all the jobs I've seen are pretty targeted at specific IT skills.

Not looking for an answer to this. Just thinking aloud

Paul
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:11 pm
mmmmmm duff

Default Re: Perth Technical PM Roles

Originally Posted by nickzeff
And how is Perth for IT Project Management roles? If the job sites are anything to go by... not that great at the moment. Anybody got any insider knowledge about this?

I'm PRINCE2 qualified with 3 years of good PM experience and over 10 years of technical experience in IT, mainly as a developer.

Tried previously to ask on this thread, but no-one's answering! Perhaps a Perth PM or employer might see this and have something to say?

Cheers for any advice or help in advance!
Seems a lot of companies are ditching the project staff, the engineering/project teams here have been slashed to a bare minimum. Only the support side of things is still going, but they have a hire freeze. I have been lucky to land this support role for now. As much as I hate it, its paying the rent!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.