Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Work To Residence In NZ.

Work To Residence In NZ.

Old May 28th 2003, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Thomas Family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work To Residence In NZ.

Please help!! Do you have to wait 24 months before you you can apply for permanent residence according to NZ law , or can you apply much earlier (9-12 months) as my agent seemed to suggest a short while ago? Has this residence law changed or has there been a rethink? I would like to ask my agents but no one there when you need them (dodgy choice!!)
Thanks for any knowledge to the question
Old May 28th 2003, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work To Residence In NZ.

It does say on the NZIS site that you need to hold the work permit & to have been employed for at least 24 mths so I'd be inclined to go along with that. If your agent says otherwise then I guess you need them to clarify it some how & tell them what the site says..

Gra..
Old May 28th 2003, 11:46 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Work To Residence In NZ.

Originally posted by Thomas Family
Please help!! Do you have to wait 24 months before you you can apply for permanent residence according to NZ law , or can you apply much earlier (9-12 months) as my agent seemed to suggest a short while ago? Has this residence law changed or has there been a rethink? I would like to ask my agents but no one there when you need them (dodgy choice!!)
Thanks for any knowledge to the question
If you go on the work to residence accredited employer route you stay on that visa for 2 yrs then after that you get another lot of medicals and police checks and if they are ok you get residence. Going via this route means you bypass the points system. If you wish to apply for residency sooner there is nothing stopping you but you go via the general skills route and have to pass the points test.
If you have a job offer you would be best going via General Skills as they are pushing these apps through quite quickly now. If an employer won't wait your best bet is a straight work visa (not the work to residence kind which have residency rights at the end of the 2 yrs) and then apply for residency in NZ. I gather you can get a straight 1yr work visa in a few days.

Hope i've not confused you further

Paula
Old May 29th 2003, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

Thomas Family is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou Paula, and Gra.B for your replies . There is so much
to take in, legal bits and all!! Your head hurts after a while, and
thats without the beer!!