Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Work references after application?

Work references after application?

Old May 6th 2006, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Curtley will become famous soon enough
Default Work references after application?

Sorry if this has been asked before but hoping someone can help!

I am about to apply for a 136 visa and have to provide a reference of recent work experience. I have seen the posts to say what the references must include but does anyone know if the application can be made without the references being given at the time of appying?

If I ask for references on day 1 there will be a hostile atmosphere at work at best if my bosses know I am looking to leave and just waiting for the visa to (hopefully) come through-it would not be a nice 9-12 months!

I am able to provide wage slips going back 3+ years, contract of employment, confirmation from the Law Society of how long I have worked for etc and also names and contact details of referees but would be requesting that they are not contacted until later in the processing application. Is this ever acceptable to the DIMA?

I expect the answer is a big NO and I will have to grin and bear it at work but any comments would be much appreciated.
Old May 6th 2006, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work references after application?

Originally Posted by Curtley

I am about to apply for a 136 visa and have to provide a reference of recent work experience. I have seen the posts to say what the references must include but does anyone know if the application can be made without the references being given at the time of appying?

If I ask for references on day 1 there will be a hostile atmosphere at work at best if my bosses know I am looking to leave and just waiting for the visa to (hopefully) come through-it would not be a nice 9-12 months!

I am able to provide wage slips going back 3+ years, contract of employment, confirmation from the Law Society of how long I have worked for etc and also names and contact details of referees but would be requesting that they are not contacted until later in the processing application. Is this ever acceptable to the DIMA?

I expect the answer is a big NO and I will have to grin and bear it at work but any comments would be much appreciated.

As far as I know you can do a stat dec for your current employer, as DIMA are aware that sometimes it could jeopordise your job if you ask for references.
Old May 6th 2006, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

kozzae is just really nicekozzae is just really nicekozzae is just really nicekozzae is just really nicekozzae is just really nicekozzae is just really nicekozzae is just really nicekozzae is just really nicekozzae is just really nicekozzae is just really nice

Sorry I cant help with your question but I take it from your thread that you work for the Law Society of Scotland? Is this Glasgow, Drumsheugh Gardens? I work for solicitors not too far away from there and will be hopefully getting my visa to immigrate to Oz in December. Just curious as our work could be similar.
Old May 6th 2006, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

ngahvo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I am going through the skills assessment process as the first part of the visa application. I am experiencing delays in getting work references myself as I contracted on a few occasions in the past 4 years and my previous employers are not prepared to do references on letter headed paper - which is the requirement for DIMIA. I am currently trying to get the agencies I worked for to do this for me.
My brother has advised me that for his current employer, he contacted his HR department and asked them to provide him with a letter of reference as if he was applying for a mortgage - this will provide details such as job title, period of employment and salary (although not relevant for DIMIA) and also attached his job description. This was obviously acceptable as he has been granted a PR visa.
Hope this helps!
Old May 6th 2006, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

i got a letter off the HR dept giving proof of last five years of employment and what capacity I was employed in.
I also asked someone senior to me to give me the required reference stating my quals and job specification. is there someone senior to you that could do this ?

Ali
Old May 6th 2006, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the help. I have thought about the HR department route but I'm not sure that will be a runner as I have requested similar in the past when I was applying for a mortgage and got the bare minimum from them-probably not enough to satisfy DIMA. I will contact DIMA and see if a statutory declaration will suffice as WendyC has suggested and will post their reply when I hear back.

Kozzae-I don't work for the law society in Scotland but am a solicitor in England. The Law Society is able (for a fee) to provide an extract of the Roll which shows where I have been employed and for how long and that I have held a practicing certificate during that period. That covers most of the DIMA requirements and hopefully that with a Stat Dec will be enough, failing which I'll get ready for a few very uncomfortable months at work Good luck with your own application.
Old May 7th 2006, 5:07 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Curtley,

hubby was also worried what would happen if he asked for the reference. Our agent told us it was no problem sending off the visa app without the reference and sending it later.

We sent off an original payslip and the latest letter re payrise with the application as proof of employment. Then we sent the reference about three months later (agent had said it would be at least three months until DIMA look at app).

One thing about the reference: don't expect your HR department to write it for you! It's more a case of you writing it yourself (making sure it covers everything that DIMA require) and then getting the HR department to sign it. Also, you may have more success in them signing it if you call it an "employer's statement" rather than a "reference". If necessary, you can point out that the "employer's statement" does not include any comments as to whether you're good at your job.

Gina
Old May 7th 2006, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Hi Curtley,

hubby was also worried what would happen if he asked for the reference. Our agent told us it was no problem sending off the visa app without the reference and sending it later.

We sent off an original payslip and the latest letter re payrise with the application as proof of employment. Then we sent the reference about three months later (agent had said it would be at least three months until DIMA look at app).

One thing about the reference: don't expect your HR department to write it for you! It's more a case of you writing it yourself (making sure it covers everything that DIMA require) and then getting the HR department to sign it. Also, you may have more success in them signing it if you call it an "employer's statement" rather than a "reference". If necessary, you can point out that the "employer's statement" does not include any comments as to whether you're good at your job.

Gina
Hi Gina

Thanks for the advice. Very helpful tip about sending the reference after three months and means at least those first few months at work will be less frosty!

I will prepare the document myself to ensure it covers all of the DIMA criteria and then try and find a friendly face in HR to sign it off, hopefully without broadcasting the fact too widely.

I hope your application went/goes through smoothly.

Curtley
Old May 8th 2006, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

ThomasandLynsey is an unknown quantity at this point

I emailed the TRA about this and they recognise that obtaining a reference from current employer is not feasible. They said you can send in a statutory declaration signed by a solicitor stating what you do in your job, skills etc. This was also confirmed at the Glasgow Emigrate show by someone from Visa Go Agents.