Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The work place agreement SUCKS!!!

Wikiposts

The work place agreement SUCKS!!!

Old Apr 10th 2006, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The work place agreement SUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by Breezey
Maybe if they made it as easy for Young people in Oz as they do in the UK they would turn into the ungrateful sh-ts they are in the UK.
Maybe in Oz one still EARNS the right to a decent life.
You talk a load of bollocks, excuse the French.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 11:11 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
You're forgiven. On account of you're right.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

sue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nicesue&bob is just really nice

Ahh!...if he was really working would have he been sacked???....and why can't any of you yobbo-wives spell or basically use the english language-arent you from England.
I hope you get shit on one day MATE,,,i wrote all these messages in a rush cos i was so upset,,,didnt think spelling was a bis issue!!!
AND he DID bloody work hard,,it was the boss that just used him to get him out of a busy period..like he did with all the other young guys before my son!!
Old Apr 10th 2006, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh!...if he was really working would have he been sacked???....and why can't any of you yobbo-wives spell or basically use the english language-arent you from England.
I have been working for the same people now for 10 months on the casual.
I went to the boss and asked whether there would be a pemanent position at any time. He said no, which I took as a bit personal, but later found that although a lot of the girls were working full time hours, some had been working 9 years and still under casual contracts. The system smells, a lot.
This is not a small company.

Whisky
Old Apr 10th 2006, 2:33 pm
Stinking Rich Member

Ersatz is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: The work place agreement SUCKS!!!

Oh and when I was young(in Oz) I went through dozens of Jobs-and had a hard time-when I became succesful I moved to the UK(sponsored by co.)
At first I too thought -look how easy this place is.
Now I wonder-perhaps Oz treating young people in harsh and exploitative manner is the right way to go???

Because I have a few minutes spare thought I'd look at a few of your previous posts, not too many you bored me. You really are quite a sad git with the most enormous chip on your shoulder. I love to P!!! people off, it makes me laugh, however you think that crushing a youngsters confidence is OK. To gain respect you have to give respect. I don't suppose you'd know much about that as who could possibly have any for you. What a tosser you are.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sue&bob
I hope you get shit on one day MATE,,,i wrote all these messages in a rush cos i was so upset,,,didnt think spelling was a bis issue!!!
AND he DID bloody work hard,,it was the boss that just used him to get him out of a busy period..like he did with all the other young guys before my son!!
Perfect response, However If I may point out that you must not use the word mate in this context.... The correct word here is Pal.

Australian grammar lesson over Thats meant to be in total kindness as well

I hope more and more people complain about these workplace reforms. It's going to be really hard on people joining the workforce over the next 5 years or so.

Personally though, as an employee of Aussie post, with the new technology 3rd Generation OCR's (optical charactor readers), starting to come to the fore... If I can hang on at Apost for 5 years...Grab the 2nd payout of my workinglife. Maybe these Workplace reforms will benefit me, as a future 50 something Part-timer willing to do anything. Vash between me and you I admit to being a willing participant in the Sickie culture, at the rate of about 4-5 days per year. Aussie post Victoria, Gives you 2 movie tickets if you go 3 months without a sickie, Which is almost insulting (doesn't exactly entice me to stay away from my weekender up in Nagambie, especially as it costs 420 bucks per quarter in site fees). Most UK business now has inbuilt Bonuses if one goes a Fortnight without taking a Sickie.

According to Most people I know from the UK, If I were 50 something jobseeker In Mkeynes I'd have a Job in a week... Unlike here in Melbourne.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 6:34 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: The work place agreement SUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by cranni
I always excuse the French.

They can't help it, bless 'em.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

My son has just experienced the same thing working for Hogs Breath Cafe.

He had been there 15 months on a casual basis as all chefs are casual. He worked really hard, never let them down and even covered the head chef duties.

He went in 2 weeks ago and was told that because he hadn't mopped the floor properly he was a liability and was sacked.

The law states that for companies with less than 100 employees they can do this.

I agree - it sucks.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 6:46 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: The work place agreement SUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by Billabong

He had been there 15 months on a casual basis as all chefs are casual. He worked really hard, never let them down and even covered the head chef duties.

He went in 2 weeks ago and was told that because he hadn't mopped the floor properly he was a liability and was sacked.

The law states that for companies with less than 100 employees they can do this.

I agree - it sucks.
Nasty stuff. He should appeal through his local union.

The Cowra episodes proves that some employers are trying it on, but can be defeated if people are prepared to resist them.

The government will want to keep media coverage of "worst case" scenarios to a minumum, so bear this in mind when/if you decide to lodge a protest. Local newspapers can be very accommodating sometimes.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 6:48 pm
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: The work place agreement SUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Perfect response, However If I may point out that you must not use the word mate in this context.... The correct word here is Pal.

Australian grammar lesson over Thats meant to be in total kindness as well

I hope more and more people complain about these workplace reforms. It's going to be really hard on people joining the workforce over the next 5 years or so.

Personally though, as an employee of Aussie post, with the new technology 3rd Generation OCR's (optical charactor readers), starting to come to the fore... If I can hang on at Apost for 5 years...Grab the 2nd payout of my workinglife. Maybe these Workplace reforms will benefit me, as a future 50 something Part-timer willing to do anything. Vash between me and you I admit to being a willing participant in the Sickie culture, at the rate of about 4-5 days per year. Aussie post Victoria, Gives you 2 movie tickets if you go 3 months without a sickie, Which is almost insulting (doesn't exactly entice me to stay away from my weekender up in Nagambie, especially as it costs 420 bucks per quarter in site fees). Most UK business now has inbuilt Bonuses if one goes a Fortnight without taking a Sickie.

According to Most people I know from the UK, If I were 50 something jobseeker In Mkeynes I'd have a Job in a week... Unlike here in Melbourne.
Is Post still paying penalties for shift work?

When I left (in 2003) they had reduced the number of hours within which certain penalties were paid, but it was still a far better deal than I can get here in the UK.

At the Perth Mail Centre in WA, we received:
  • 10% for afternoon shifts (1-6pm)

• 15% for evening shifts (6pm-9pm)

• 30% for night shifts (9pm onwards)

• Time and a half on Saturdays (even when rostered)

• Double time on Sundays and public holidays

I worked a rotating evening/night shift here in the UK for six months, and never even caught so much as the sniff of a penalty payment; they gave you the flat hourly rate all day, everyday - whether morning, afternoon, evening or night shift. Saturdays were the same; flat hourly rate. They paid time and a half for public holidays.

I never saw any evidence of a union presence; no union reps, no health and safety reps, no "Hi, welcome to Company X; I'm your local union rep. Here's the current state of play between ourselves and the managementl..." It was as if unions had dropped off the face of the planet.

The whole thing was an absolute joke; a "modern" workplace with 19th Century procedures and policies. At the time I badly needed a job so I took what I was given - but after 6 months, and with better prospects around the corner, I spat it out and moved on.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:45 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Getting back sort of on track, its awful when you have a kid who wants to work and throws themselves into it and then gets the boot, but from the employer side of things what would have happened if the kid was a lazy git as some are and the law didn't allow you to get rid of them, I can see both sides having been on both sides of the fence and found the UK awful for employers and had huge problems trying to sack useless staff because they got full rights from day 1,
I've had to sit there on the phone to the union to ask guidence on how to go forwards with problems, they where always very useful, I have worked here casual and yes it is very scary being always constantly worried with the thought that one day you could get told to go home, but on the other hand there is a rule that after working casual for an employer for a certain amount of time and that employer is your main means of employment you are supposed to be classed as permanent, I think it goes in one ear and out the other and doesn't happen, the man as westpac bank was trying to explain that one to me when we looked at mortgages.
Now as a store owner and looking now for staff I am quite pleased that I can employ somebody as casual to start with, make sure they are a good worker etc without the pressure of having to keep them even if they are crap.
I have a pal in the UK at the mo who took on a hairdresser who she sacked shortly afterwards because she only managed to do a couple of blow dries per day (yes that slow) and is getting dragged into a tribuneral for getting rid of her.
Employment laws suck!
If its the employer there are times when its against you and then for the trainee etc as well, it goes both ways.

Anyhow I am sure you son will get a job elsewhere, a bit of motivation and initiative are the basics to success and I am sure he has plenty.
Jenny
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:17 pm
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ersatz
Because I have a few minutes spare thought I'd look at a few of your previous posts, not too many you bored me. You really are quite a sad git with the most enormous chip on your shoulder. I love to P!!! people off, it makes me laugh, however you think that crushing a youngsters confidence is OK. To gain respect you have to give respect. I don't suppose you'd know much about that as who could possibly have any for you. What a tosser you are.
Hold on! I merely defended the right of an employer to dismiss an employee.
Anyone who thinks that an employer does not have this right should be immigrating to North Korea not Australia.
Think about it! If he "used" this kid to "get through a busy period"-there is nothing wrong with that.
Its better than no job at all-should the boss not feed his own family by keeping this guy on when he can't afford it?
Amazing -Brits who whinge abnout "PC" but then are the first to cry when the non-"PC" John Howards Australia effects them.
Would they rather return to "PC" UK -where companies go broke firing people.
Or perhaps this person might start gaining a heart when it comes to "illegals"-before you critisise-think about the point I am making.

Last edited by Breezey; Apr 10th 2006 at 9:24 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:20 pm
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Nasty stuff. He should appeal through his local union.

The Cowra episodes proves that some employers are trying it on, but can be defeated if people are prepared to resist them.

The government will want to keep media coverage of "worst case" scenarios to a minumum, so bear this in mind when/if you decide to lodge a protest. Local newspapers can be very accommodating sometimes.
Vash...remember many of these people left the UK to escape "PC"-so why do these laws "suck".
This is the noveau-yob culture-they want "PC" for them but not others. Its all part of the me-me-me thing.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Billabong

I agree - it sucks.
Thats right-and thank God John Howard had the guts to pass this legislation-Australia can't afford small business to be saddled with ridiculous UK style dismissal laws.
....again you left the UK (perhaps) to get away from EU legislation Socialism and "PC"-now you want to drag Oz down that path-strange.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 9:50 pm
Fighting my corner

Smile Re: The work place agreement SUCKS!!!

Vash...remember many of these people left the UK to escape "PC"-so why do these laws "suck".

This is the noveau-yob culture-they want "PC" for them but not others. Its all part of the me-me-me thing.
Well, I can't speak for others, but speaking for myself I must say that I don't believe these laws "suck." They are hard, yes; but for the sake of Australia's competition in the global marketplace, they need to be.

BTW, I'm not sure that UK dismissal laws are that much different to their Aussie counterparts. (Though it might depend on whether we're talking about big companies or small ones.)

I know from experience that if you're a temporary employee in the UK, you can be dismissed with no more than a week's notice - and as far as I'm aware, the company is not required to give a reason. I've had this done to me twice.

The flip side is that a temporary employee in the UK can walk out of a job after giving one week's notice to his/her employer. I've done this myself, and it feels great.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Apr 10th 2006 at 9:55 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.